Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Duell is a family name

Site Supporter
    Dry fire night.
    1-Wall drill. 5 min.
    2-Presentations and trigger press outs. 5 min.

Site Supporter
    Finally cleaned the Dot Torture at 3 yards with the newer 3913. 50/50 - now I have to do it again!

Site Supporter
    Did another one, feeling all confident. "Only" got 49. Did some 7 yard marksmanship and speed draw and fires. Total 124 through this gun today. Buddy had a new VP9 he let me run some rounds through. Shoots like a laser, very nice gun, nice trigger. TDA still has my attention for a carry gun, though.

Site Supporter
    Finally back from 2 week vacation - the shooting I did on the 11th was with my dad and an old friend introducing them to focused practice. Carried the newer 3913 for the whole trip, with P32 as backup.

My dad's Kimber worries me. Crapped the bed in the first mag he shot, weird failure to eject the final casing, it was stuck in the feedlips of the magazine, magazine wouldn't come out. He ended up disassembling the gun to get things straightened out. Told me he's been adjusting the extractor, been having trouble with it. Well, okay, but he carries this thing. Shot three or four magazines through it after he made another adjustment and got it put back together. And then he was done - half a box of testing the gun he carries after making *another* extractor adjustment.

I don't understand carrying a gun that doesn't run. I've never made an extractor adjustment. I've also never owned a 1911, much as I like shooting them.

Anyhow. Dryfire for ten minutes, dry draws and presentations for ten more last night. Hoping to get out and do some live fire this week.
    Last edited by Duelist; 06-20-2016 at 12:39 PM.

Site Supporter
    Dry fire Friday: 15 minutes draw to aim point. 3913.

Dry fire Saturday: 10 minutes draw to aim point from belt holster, 3913. 10 minutes dry trigger presses through 642, mix of SHO, WHO.

Dry fire Sunday: 10 minutes double and single action trigger presses. 3913.

Site Supporter
    A little bit of live and dry fire this afternoon/evening. I was planning to go shoot for a bit after work, and a friend from church who is a CBP agent texted to ask if I would go watch him shoot a bit and see if I could give some pointers to up his pistol Q score. He was staging and then mashing the LEM trigger on his HK pretty consistently whether SHO, WHO, or both hands, and doing the muzzle drop, too, which explained the shotgun groups. Some woobie issues. Weird holster he's issued has a thumb button to release a hood, and a trigger finger button like a Serpa. And he was doing a weird thing with his thumb SHO that totally screwed up his grip. And he's cross dominant, so I made some suggestions for keeping both eyes open through the draw until he's about to break the shot. Made some improvements. We did some dry fire, too, and talked about the wall drill and just watching that front sight and not letting it move at all.

For me, I ended up shooting 50 rounds or so through the older 3913 demonstrating shooting dots at various ranges and practicing smooth draw to shots. 1.5 to 10 yards. Really just a warmup session, but gratifying nonetheless to have the holes mostly appearing where they are supposed to. I'll try to get another short session in before Saturday's match, and do a DOTW and a Dot Torture. Going to shoot this match with a 3913. Not even going to take the Sig.

Exercise. I've lost five pounds, down to 191. Been walking a lot lately, pull-ups, hanging leg lifts, and did some short jogging sections this morning while walking the Brittany. Haven't run in a while. Been hiking a lot on the vacations we've been on. Oh, yeah! We found a baby rattlesnake this morning! Pretty cool.
    Last edited by Duelist; 06-28-2016 at 03:15 AM.

Site Supporter
    Lots of exercise this week, and quite a bit of presentation practice, but not enough actual dry fire - I think I spent about five total minutes dry firing.

The match yesterday: I shoot a monthly local club match. I've shot a few others, but this is the match that got me interested in regular practice, is the first formal match I ever shot, and is the only one I do regularly. IDPA-esque. I frequently help scoring or running a squad as the RSO.

Yesterday, we had the highest turnout in the history of the club. Because of the layout of the facility, we still had to run only two squads, so it was a long day. Lots of new shooters, young shooters (teens), older shooters trying out something new, and experienced folks. One nurse, one EMT, a Marine Major, lots of other military, retired and former military, law enforcement, etc. Two revolver shooters: one ran a GP100, and the other ran a stainless Jframe Bodyguard configuration from a kydex IWB. Older fellow with suspenders.

I did okay with the lanes myself, but I was very pleased to see some of the folks who started out last year having never shot a gun before have improved tremendously in their shooting and use of cover, reloads, etc.

RSO for that size of squad (25) was very much a stamina and focus issue. Worked out.

Weather was hot and sunny, until I left. Pretty good monsoon started as soon as I left the range, which was nice because when I got home I couldn't do the yard work I meant to do, and got to take a nap instead.

Site Supporter
    Dry fire last night: 20 minutes of drawing from concealment and dry firing at the target taped to my wall about three yards away. Timer says when I didn't flub the clearing of the shirt, I was hitting 1.3-1.5 seconds when I rushed the shot, 1.5-1.7 when I didn't, and 1.8-2.2 when I messed up clearing the shirt.

Site Supporter
    Wow, it's been a while. Let's see:

Lots of walking, a little jogging. Some weights. Spent a week at a conference in NOLA. Ate some awesome food, listened to some great music, sweated a lot, and had a pretty good conference, too.

Couldn't make myself dry fire in the hotel room. Didn't feel like I had a safe direction to do it in. So I didn't do anything gun-related that week, besides carrying them.

Have done very little dry fire and no live fire since I got home, until today after work. Drove out to some desert scrub and did a dry fire session for about ten minutes, and then shot a Dot Torture with the older 3913. 46/50, 3 yards, Federal 115gr FMJ aluminum case. Dropped the last shot on dot 10, one shot on dot 8, one on 7, and one on 3. All the rest of them were basically ragged holes.

Gun ran perfectly, as expected. Ran it from a horsehide OWB and spare mag out of a kydex on he off side, all under an untucked polo.

Site Supporter
    And once again, it's been a while. Lots of reasons: school staff gets to go to the school for pre-semester training and setup for the classrooms, the semester started, and I had oral surgery.

Walking has been my primary form of exercise. I've gotten as much as 7 miles in a day, but I'm averaging 3.5. Have been restricted from running and weights and hiking with a pack since the surgery.

Dry fire: Have, at least weekly and sometimes daily, had short dry fire and dry draw sessions, with a few extended sessions as well. The 642 has been a vehicle for dry fire. The SP2022 has, as well.

Saturday was my first shooting since the surgery. I took the older 3913 and did a dot torture: 45/50 at 3 yards. The dropped points were very close to the circles, except for one of the three (!) I dropped on the WHO dot. Diagnosis: I realized Inhave barely done any WHO dry fire.

I also did a couple of untimed FASTs with it, to get me back in the swing of "longer" range. I borrowed a FNX .45 with an RMR to try shooting with a dot. It was interesting, but if I were to get on board with one, it would take a LOT of practice to get really comfortable with it. Still have it, and might go run some more rounds through it before I give it back. Kind of like the gun.

Also shot about half a box through the 642. Been a while since I did any drills with it, or shot a group with it. You know, I really like that gun. It's accurate, and no worries about reliability. It doesn't hold a lot of rounds, but does that really matter when you hit what you are shooting at?

Anyhow. Just some thoughts I've had on it. Started planning my trip north to get my daughter to her university for the fall semester. Started thinking the jframe might be the gun I drive with and then check for the flight home because it's easy, and to save weight in my checked bag.