Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Duell is a family name

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Come on, you had a pistol, what's the problem?
    LOL! Quail aren't legal to take with a pistol in AZ, even if you are on a ranch near Tombstone. Rabbits? I always miss them when I try to get one with a pistol. The little jerks won't hold still!

Site Supporter
    12 November 2016:

Went to a public lands range today - could spit and hit the border from there, my cell phone was running off a tower in Mexico - to work on confirming/refining zero on my .243 before my deer hunt at the end of the month. I mostly shot from field positions, and used targets from 50-382 yards. 100gr Hornady SPBT Interlock, IMR4064 powder - all the same as what I used last year. The targets I used were plain IDPA silhouettes because I was trying to see how well I did with no specific POA on a plain brown target about the size of a little deer. I'm still hitting a bit high and right, but every round was in reasonable distance from POA. I'll make some more ammunition and do this again on the 18th or 19th. Might make up some longer-range specific loads with some AMAX bullets.

I also did some work with my .22 trainer between center fire strings while I let the barrel cool. 2" circles at 38 yards, did 5 position 5 shot groups.

I also did a Dot Torture drill with my carry gun, a 3913. This was at a measured 5 yards, and was only 42/50, using Federal aluminum. Impressed the spray-and-prayers I was sharing the range with.

I've not done much dry fire lately. Been very busy with a graduate school application. If I get in, for the next couple of years I'm planning to load very little 9mm. Instead, I'll spend the money to buy Federal Aluminim at $9.97/50 and only load for hunting or when I'm broke. The time will be more valuable than the money. I think.

Site Supporter
    Another visit to the public lands range, this time working with some 105gr AMAX/IMR4350 loads.

The AMAX shoots fine out of my Savage, but I will need to refine my zero.

Also did a Dot Torture in the dark, with a flashlight. I haven't been doing enough flashlight live fire, so I took the opportunity to since I was out there and it was getting dark.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  62.1 KB

Site Supporter
    Got the grad school application done and turned in on time, and found out a few days ago I got in. Got to finish my GI bill paperwork now.

Deer hunt went well, but I only found one buck, and never got a makeable shot on him. Banged my knee up pretty bad falling on a rock. Made the hike back out more interesting, and eliminated a serious effort on the last day. Instead, my wife and I went to a silly spot to look for a deer - the same place I killed one last year - and sat in chairs, taking pictures and looking around waiting for something to walk by and ask to get shot.

Didn't happen, but it was a nice day.

Have been dry firing sporadically, but the end of the semester and all the grading has meant few sessions and no live fire till yesterday. I got a SIG P290rs recently, and yesterday ran 65 rounds through it for the first time. Hadn't cleaned it, just lubed it and went. Did it all at 3 yards. The 15 hollowpoints (mix of 115 and 147) were first, and did fine. POA/POI matched up. Then, I ran a box of 115gr Federal ball through it. Had 4 FTE: the expended case came partway out of the chamber, the slide kept going and left it there on top of the next round in the magazine.

I'll have to figure out how to disassemble it today, give it a good cleaning and line job, and then try again.

All rounds fired, though, and shredded the target. Was using an IDPA cardboard target, shooting from the holster, one round on the lower -0 and one round on the upper, then holster and repeat. Two big holes in the target.

Hmm. Each of the four FTEs was on the second shot of the string. Don't know if that had anything to do with it, but might be important to remember if cleaning it doesn't fix things.

Site Supporter
    Dry fire session last night. Back to the range today.

Cleaned and lubed the P290rs. Today, it did a little over 100 rounds. 115gr Federal ball, 115gr Federal ball w/aluminum case, 124gr HP, 147gr HP. All rounds fed, fired, and ejected properly. One failure to lock the slide on empty- my right thumb was on the slide lock lever. And one premature slide lock, again due to my thumb.

All shots were POA/POI correct, and grouped from well to very well (even though we were shooting at close range). Two and three shot failure drills started to not be super slow. I think I like it, and it will be replacing my 642 for some things. NPE stuff, mostly. Maybe backup duty, too.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  47.5 KB

The left orange dot is from the P32. The rest are either just the P290, or a mix of the P290 and some other guns shot for comparison.

Another reason for the day's trip was to have my wife do her irregular range trip and try out some guns she's never fired.

First, she shot the KelTec P32. The first group was not good, but her second magazine did pretty well. Then, shot her favorite gun ever, my Ruger MKII. Typical smallish group that, if she'll shoot more, will tighten up again. Then, she tried the P290rs. She likes the looks of it, but the DAO trigger is heavier than she likes, and she only shot a few rounds before handing it back. With the longer magazine, she still didn't like it. Then she did the 3913 LadySmith. Doesn't like it, but it's a bit better than the P290rs. Then was the SigPro 2022, with TLR1s attached. That one is okay, not painful.

The P32 trigger is not light, the grip is tiny, and so are the sights, but it's acceptable, she says. It's small enough and light enough carry, and recoil, while it definitely has some, is not objectionable. The SP2022 is also acceptable, except the DA first shot is a very long reach. She shot it better than anything except the .22. The 3913 is painful. The P290rs is torture.

So. The house gun that is for both of us will be the 2022 with the TLR1. For her, the .22 is preferable, and if I'm not home, she may choose that. And for carry, she'll use the P32 until and unless we get her into another gun that is carry-able but also shootable.

Site Supporter
    Timed drills 3 January: 2 second par, 3 yards, draw and dry fire on a 2" dot (from concealment). 20 reps. Then, hit two dots in the same par time. 30 reps. Found myself rushing and getting sloppy: stopped timing and did 20 reps slow, by the numbers. Then 20 more to the par time.

Match tomorrow. Need to dry fire again first. May have to do that in the morning.

Site Supporter
    Saturday match turned out to be a steel match. Stage one was a wide spaced El Pres drill. Stage two was an array of four steel rectangles with a stop plate in the center. Shooters did 4 reps of five rounds/five targets on this stage (placed second overall out of 36 shooters on this stage). Stage three was a variant of El Pres as a house clearing exercise - required movement. Had my only miss of the day on his stage - second round of a double tap went over the target's head and I didn't notice. Stage four was six targets, four poppers up close and then a falling pole with a large plate down low and a tiny one up top, and a hidden plate covered by an IDPA target that you had to find by shooting the cardboard till the threat fell.

Placed 11/36 overall. House clearing movement stage was my slowest. The rest were just stand there and knock down/ring steel.

There was as much time between my score and #10 as there was between #10 and #1.

Ran my SP2022 9mm. 59 rounds total for the day, pushing 1500 through the gun.

Ever since I got my P290rs, I've carried my 3913 less. Workdays when I'm in and out of felony NPEs, it's simpler, faster, more discreet, and easier to dump a pocket gun than a belt gun and holster. That's one of the reasons I carried the 642 for so long. As I continue to work out with the little SIG, though, I am more and more enamored of it. Smooth trigger, well made gun, sights are exactly the same sights as on the SP2022, it's accurate and easy to shoot, doesn't require as big a pocket as the 642, etc.

We'll see if it's honeymoon bliss, or if the shine wears off eventually and I put the old revolver back in my pocket, but for now, it only rides on my ankle as a backup or if there's no good way to conceal anything else - it's the only gun I have an ankle holster for.

I've gained a bit of weight since hurting my knee during the deer hunt, but the knee is doing better most of the time and I'm doing more regular cardio. I've done some deadlift sets, but haven't done a serious weights workout in months.
    Last edited by Duelist; 01-11-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Site Supporter
    Just ordered my first case of 9mm ball - Lawman 147gr. Decided to be committed to the idea and fact of limited reloading time for the foreseeable future, and move to buying bulk.

Site Supporter
    Dry fire session tonight: fifteen minutes of press-out fundamentals on the P290rs from a compressed ready position. My stamina on this exercise with this little gun is better than with the 642: smoother, lighter trigger pull.

Site Supporter
    Borrowed a triplet set of GLOCKS to try out with my wife. I did about twenty minutes of dry fire, comparing press outs and triggers between them, a 3913, and my Sigs. Wife tried each one for feel.

The grip angle switch is a thing. But not really that big of a deal: after a couple dozen press-outs, I was okay with the GLOCKS, and after a few with the S&W, back on with it. But I don't think I want to do that every day.

A very new 19, 43, and a carry-worn 26. She can get her small hand around the 43 nicely, but I suspect she won't like shooting it much due to weight and the narrow cross section. The 26 has a nice, well broken in trigger and she likes it better than the 19. We'll see what she thinks after she shoots them.
    Last edited by Duelist; 01-15-2017 at 11:18 AM.