Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duell is a family name

Site Supporter

Duell is a family name

I started lurking here about six months ago when I was contemplating a shift in what pistols I own/carry/use. Todd's writing, and others, helped me make some decisions, one of which was to join and participate.

I had grown dissatisfied with carrying a single action for various reasons, as well as with just carrying a 642 most of the time, and had switched to a 3913 when I wanted something bigger than my 642. Due to my own misgivings about cognitive dissonance, the big factory paddle safety on my single action, and the concept of the TDA pistol's administrative handling seeming to be a reasonable, solid option, I sold my CZ75B SA, bought a SIG SP2022 for my (slightly) larger gun, and another 3913 to duplicate what is probably going to be my primary carry for the foreseeable future.

So, here I am, trying to get something like as good with these TDA guns as I was with the CZ. There is a learning curve. I just broke 1000 rounds through the SIG (bought in November - 1023 total rounds) with 657 since the last clean/lube.

I have yet to clean a Dot Torture at 3 yards, with anything I've tried with. But I have gotten much better. I'll probably post a composite of my attempts at the drills of the week later.

Site Supporter
    Okay, here's a synopsis of the drills and practice I've done over the past several months. I'm mostly carrying one of a pair of 3913 pistols, a 642 revolver, and sometimes carrying but mostly training and match shooting with a SIG SP2022 9mm.

I thought the Dot Torture would be fun, a good way to dip my toe into more serious, focused practice, and not too tough. Fun, yes, but frustrating and a lot tougher than it looks.

16 January 2016 - SIG, Dot Torture, 5 yards b/c that was as close as my laser range finder would measure. 26/50. Ugly.

23 January 2016 - SIG, DT, 5 yards, 30/50. 3913, DT, 5 yds, 23/50. Lots of recoil anticipation pushing the muzzle down before the shot.

30 Jan 2016 - SIG, DT, 3 yds, 45/50. Hey, moving it close up like Todd said to works! Some of those dots actually caught all the bullets I threw at them.

15 Feb 2016 - SIG, DT, 3 yds, 34/46 b/c I can't count. Did it again with the SIG - 42/50. Slightly redeemed.

20 Feb 2016 - SIG, DT, 7 yds b/c that was the closest target stand at that range, 40/50. 642, 7 yds, 39/50. Older 3913, 7 yds, 42/50. Shot it with a friend's Vickers Edition GLOCK 17, 7 yds, 42/50. Not bad, but not a GLOCK fan, even though I've always been able to shoot them decently.

19 Mar 2016 - 3913, DT, 3 yds, 30/50. Ugly. Lots of recoil anticipation, even some rounds missed the paper.

26 Mar 2016 - SIG, DT, 3 yds, 45/50.

9 April 2016 - SIG, DT, 3 yds, 44/50. 3 runs at the FAST. Suckage on time, hit the 3x5 once out of 6 rounds. Hit the circle every time, though.

16 April 2016 - Ruger MKII .22, DT, 3 yds, 47/50. Just to prove I could do better. 3913, DT, 3 yds, 46/50. 3913, one shot draws from concealment at 3 yds, 3x5 card, 3 hits: 3.1, 2.7, 1.978.

30 April 2016 - SIG, DT, 3yds, 46/50. Didn't drop a round out of its intended circle until dot 7. First time that's happened: 1 dropped out of 7, 2 out of 8, 1 out of 9.

30 April 2016 - 9 runs at the how small a target can you draw from concealment and fire a round and make a clean hit in 2 seconds drill. 3 runs each with the SIG, 642, and 3913. Target was B8 centers printed on 8.5x11 sheets of paper. There were some misses, and there were a lot of nicely centered shots but over the par time. The final run, with the 3913, made 3 hits, 2x9 and 1x7, and all three were under 2 seconds.

So. There I am. Shot a local club match today. I'll write it up and post results once the scores are posted on the club website.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 05-09-2016 at 07:09 AM.

Looks like your improving! Keep up the good work!

I see lots of live fire, but didn't see any dry (if I missed it please forgive me sir). Are you dry firing at all? I find my dry fire to be more helpful than life fire for the most part.
    i used to wannabe

Site Supporter
    Yes, but not as much as I should, and I haven't been annotating it anywhere. I've been scoring and collecting training targets for a visual way of tracking progress, as well as marking out scores on the DotW threads.

Sean's range bitch LittleLebowski's Avatar
    How is your dry fire practice? How far away was the target for this iteration?

30 April 2016 - 9 runs at the how small a target can you draw from concealment and fire a round and make a clean hit in 2 seconds drill. 3 runs each with the SIG, 642, and 3913. Target was B8 centers printed on 8.5x11 sheets of paper. There were some misses, and there were a lot of nicely centered shots but over the par time. The final run, with the 3913, made 3 hits, 2x9 and 1x7, and all three were under 2 seconds.

Site Supporter
    Oh, oops. It was the DotW - 7 yards was the prescribed distance, so that's what I did.

Dry practice - I do it, but not in an organized fashion. Usually about once a week, rarely more than that, and I skip weeks when I'm busy. More frequently on the night before the range, or before a match. Draws with and without cover, draws to fire on a snap cap, reloads, transitions between the dots on a target I have taped to a wall.

Site Supporter
    Last week, I shot our club's IDPA-ish monthly defensive pistol match with the SIG. It went pretty well. Placed middle of the pack (10 out of 22), which is a good, normal placement for me. Since switching to the SIG, my placements had dropped, but I credit regular, organized practice with pulling me back up. The highest I ever placed was 3rd, but it was a fluke: low attendance, so the really hot shooters weren't there, and I didn't really run through it like I usually do - anal about cover, pie slicing, etc. The month I placed 3rd, I just tried to go as quickly and efficiently as I could.

This month, I was doing it my normal way, and I was also the ONLY shooter drawing from concealment. The last time I did that, I sucks big time. Is time, my draw work was much improved: I had been doing most of my dry fire practice as draws from concealment.

The match was pretty nicely set up. 4 stages, a mix of shooting from cover, movement, mandatory reloads, mostly close distance shots, but there were several longer ones as well. Lots and lots of hostage rescue shots limiting available target area. I have a personal rule that if there is a hostage, then I have to take a head shot, even if the stage design doesn't require it. Since I helped set up some of the stages, I made sure that target placement encouraged head shots.

One stage was timed with two runs: 6 shots WHO and then repeat SHO, two shots each on three targets, with a no shoot mixed in. I did better on that than I expected: regular SHO/WHO marksmanship practice on the Dot Torture has improved everything except draw speed, but draw mechanics have improved through it, as well.

Very few shots dropped out of the 0 area, but there was at least one on each stage. Mulling over what it will take to run a clean match. Maybe I should start with trying for a clean stage, then two, etc.

Went shooting for a little while Thursday evening before sunset. Had to try out my P32 I bought that day. Young neighbor kid had just bought a new Kahr CT9, so I dragged him and Thing 2, my 16yo son, out to the desert area I go to when the range is closed or I want to do things I'm not allowed to do there. Lots of break-in and limp-wrist trouble with the Kahr, and he took most of the box to figure out the trigger and stop shooting shotgun patterns. I shot 5 rounds through it - all rounds cycled fine, and the holes all touched each other. He was not amused. The magazine feed lips are VERY sharp.

P32 ran fine. The trigger has to be allowed to fully reset before you try to shoot the next round. The trigger is much lighter, smoother, and nicer than the P11 I used to have. This is a used gun, and the paint on the sights which give a tiny bit of contrast has worn off, so I'm going to have to do something about that. At least they aren't plastic, like on the P11.

I shot a Dot Torture at 3 yards with the 3913 I was carrying, and some UMC yellow box bulk. Not as good as it has been with WWB, Federal, or my reloads. Can I blame it on the ammo? 37/50.

My buddy invited me out to a 3 gun night shoot last night. That group camped over night and shot the same stages again in daylight today. I didn't shoot the daylight portion, since I have other things to do most Sunday's. My first 3 gun match. I don't have an appropriate shotgun, just my double barreled 20 gauge I hunt upland birds with, so I borrowed an 870 in 20 since that was the ammo I had. The gun had no light on it, so I fumbled my way through with a handheld. Made it through, slowly.

The carbine stage went much better. I don't have a light on either of my ARs, but I have practiced with my Surefire pressing against the mag well under the hand guard, so it worked pretty well. Movement, cover, multiple shots on IDPA targets.

The SIG has a light I keep on it when it's at home, so I ran it that way, and it was fine. I missed one shot on a 20 yard plate. Two pistol stages: the first was 4 large plates at varying distances. 1 shot on the closest one, two on the second, three in the next, and four on the last one. That was the only shot I dropped - had to take a makeup.

Second pistol stage was a house clearing, with one popper-tripped moving cardboard, and the rest were steel.

SIG round counts: 1110 total, 744 since cleaned. I don't actually want to do a 2000 round test on it, but it is running just fine.

Site Supporter
    Scores came out for that three gun shoot. I placed 2nd out of the night-only shooters, but there weren't very many that only shot the night lanes.

Forgive me if you know this already...

If you cannot clean a dot torture at 3 yards on demand, you need fundamentals work. To me, that means one gun and only one gun until significant improvement is made. I would either carry and train exclusively with the 3913, or carry and train exclusively with the Sig. You will make much faster progress that way.

Site Supporter
    SLG, I understand your point, and will give it some thought
    Hadn't shot a round since the 14th until yesterday after work. Have done three dry-fire sessions of drawing to drop the hammer on a dot. 10 mins each. 3 dry draw sessions, draw and aim, but no trigger action. 10 mins each. 1 session of reload practice. 10 mins.

Went camping last week with the young men from my church, so no practicing anything except ensuring my concealment methods were absolutely effective.

Shot a 3 yard Dot Torture yesterday. Snuck off after work, before going to my second job. Older 3913, plated 124 gr handloads. 42/50. I hurried too much, even though I told myself I wouldn't. SHO was 3/5, but WHO was 5/5 - much more slowly.

User Tag List