Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which 1911?

Site Supporter
    I have a SW 1911Sc Commander. Very nice looking gun. It's plunger unstaked itself twice - messing up two matches. Been back to SW after time 2 and has been ok since. One gun isn't a world of data but just a report.

BTW, on the second failure - a friend lent me a beater Taurus 1911 he had in is truck to finish the match. Worked fine. How about that!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    1) Colt Competition. Take the stock gun and send it to the Springfield Custom Shop for the ambi. Keep the Parkerized finish until you finish changing the rest of the gun to what you want/need. Least costly.
    Minor note: The Colt Competition Pistol is not Parkerized, it is a matte blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Minor note: The Colt Competition Pistol is not Parkerized, it is a matte blue.
    Good catch. Only a few were every Parkerized, and mine may have been a pre-production sample that ended up getting out of the factory. I forgot that the production ones are matte blued.

Must... resist... "the fantasy one that works" joke... so... tempting...
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Good catch. Only a few were every Parkerized, and mine may have been a pre-production sample that ended up getting out of the factory. I forgot that the production ones are matte blued.
    Just curious -- does yours have a Commander hammer? I saw a picture of a CCP prototype that did.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Just curious -- does yours have a Commander hammer? I saw a picture of a CCP prototype that did.
    Yes, it has a regular rowel Commander hammer. Is that unusual?

Site Supporter
    Yes, it has a regular rowel Commander hammer. Is that unusual?
    The production guns have the more modern type hammer. I actually prefer the Commander style hammer, not that it makes a big difference functionally.

I like anything that "ended up getting out of the factory" when it should not. Going to need some pics of said escapee.

I have a Springfield Trophy Match stainless, which is basically an adjustable sight version of the TRP. Make sure you handle and/or shoot one before buying. The 20 lpi checking is like a cheese grater on your hands. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It anchors the pistol in your hand, but you definitely feel the sharpness to the point of discomfort. I've shot it in a few 200 rounds/day classes, and it's been fine. But I did have red imprints on my fingers for a day or so afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might get boo'd here by those that don't like Philippine made 1911's, but what the heck.

I carry a Metro Arms American Classic Commander. It's all steel and at the present time has over 6000 rounds through it and has NEVER had a failure. Total cost tax and all was $519.00 bucks.

As Ive said before, I've carried a 1911 for over 46 years and this is the best out of the box gun I've ever spent money on!

User Tag List