Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BCM OEM

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Honest question, whats the practical weakness of the OEM type charging handle and what do the upgrades do better?
    Personally, I see virtually no weakness, provided you're starting with a properly-manufactured sample. I also believe it's a wear-item, so often I see people cite things like "look, even this Colt CH failed" only to discover that it's a military CH with no mention of the thousands of cycles it's been put through.

However, I do personally prefer the BCM GF Mod... hell if I know, the medium-sized one. The slightly greater amount of purchase for my hand, especially around an optic or BUIS, and the slightly more-rigid structure makes it easier to retract in many cases.

When charging one-handed (the tactical way) the surface area is small and the force is concentrated on the latch's small roll pin, which can break. This is according to BCM's literature on it.

The BCM charging handle transmits the force of charging to the charging handles body itself and also gives more surface area to tug on.

It's a work around to make a badly designed and placed part work mo' better. I prefer the BCM's myself.
    Last edited by TR675; 05-02-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Honest question, whats the practical weakness of the OEM type charging handle and what do the upgrades do better?
    The latch breaks fairly easily. The handle bends. The latch is very small.

The BCM design is very robust. In short, it facilitates the support hand manipulations which are almost universally practiced in current year.

Some people say it keeps gas out of your face on suppressed guns, but I don't know about that personally.

Quote Originally Posted by The Katar View Post
    Some people say it keeps gas out of your face on suppressed guns, but I don't know about that personally.
    Not in my limited experience. But, the gun was pretty gassy and with so much gas from the chamber it was hard to isolate the CH.
    Last edited by TR675; 05-02-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Not in my limited experience.
    It's my understanding that the original design did not, but that BCM later tweaked the design. Once again, I have no personal experience with this possible aspect of the CH.

The charging handle on my Daniel is so flimsy I can't charge it by pulling it back on one side, you have to hold both sides. Been needing to upgrade to a BCM just never shoot it.
    i used to wannabe

Not in my limited experience.
    The early versions didn't have the ledge, the current versions do. I've not shot the same gun with both, and my suppressed AR has the silicone RTV on it in combination with the ledge. The one advantage I found to the ledge for sure was that it made a good guide for the RTV, which definitely helps noticeably.

Nonetheless, I still don't see the charging handle as a necessary change-out, certainly not first thing, and there are so many options out there for folks that do insist on changing them I'd think you'd just keep the OEM part in an OEM gun. Although, I suppose, the GF is OEM to BCM.

When charging one-handed (the tactical way)...

facilitates the support hand manipulations which are almost universally practiced in current year.

Is this in reloads, as in not using the bolt catch to chamber a round after a reload from bolt lock?

Ive seen people use them from one side, just never done it that way. I have to admit I'm NOT high speed, though am curious about how things are being done and the reasons.
    Last edited by Malamute; 05-02-2016 at 12:18 PM.

It's my understanding that the original design did not, but that BCM later tweaked the design. Once again, I have no personal experience with this possible aspect of the CH.
    Yep, I've got one of the new designs with the lip on it. Didnt seem to make much difference. I've also got an older model and will use them both when I hit the range next time and start playing with buffer weights on the suppressed gun - if there's a difference I'll report back.
    Last edited by TR675; 05-02-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Although, I suppose, the GF is OEM to BCM.
    Ha! That is actually quite a cogent observation.

User Tag List