Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BCM OEM

BCM OEM

Just saw this at Brownell's, didn't know BCM was selling an equivalent to Colt OEM 2:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...?sku=100019539

Sent from my iPad
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Just saw this at Brownell's, didn't know BCM was selling an equivalent to Colt OEM 2:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...?sku=100019539

Sent from my iPad
    Wow. $1000.

The Colt guns look like a much better value at $750.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Wow. $1000.

The Colt guns look like a much better value at $750.
    Not that I disagree with your point, but Colt doesn't offer midlength gas or lightweight barrel profile in their OEM guns last I looked at them. The vast majority of shooters would be indeed likely be better off buying the Colt and putting that $250 towards ammo or an Aimpoint, but a lot of AR15 buyers think midlength gas and LW barrels are must haves (or "nice to haves").

Sure that the BCM OEM offers a mid length and a LW barrel. But I'm under the I'm press ion that their gas block is set screw vs. pinned as Colt's gas blocks are.

But with the BCM, you get a hat, so that should make up for some of the price difference...

Last upper I got from BCM included enough swag it doubled the weight of the package. Hat, stickers, decals, posters, an AR-15 armorer DVD, and a bottle of slip 2000. For just an upper. I imagine a complete rifle would ship with all the above plus a blowjob fairy.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

BCM™ Included Upgrades:

BCM Mod 4 Charging Handle $50
    BCM Mod 3 Pistol Grip $18
    BCM QD End Plate $17
    BCM PNT™ Trigger $60
    BCM Trigger Guard $7

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Last upper I got from BCM included enough swag it doubled the weight of the package. Hat, stickers, decals, posters, an AR-15 armorer DVD, and a bottle of slip 2000. For just an upper. I imagine a complete rifle would ship with all the above plus a blowjob fairy.
    I got all of that as well. Also got a very attractive, lightweight upper. Unfortunately what I didn't get was accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipulusArmorum View Post
    Not that I disagree with your point, but Colt doesn't offer midlength gas or lightweight barrel profile in their OEM guns last I looked at them. The vast majority of shooters would be indeed likely be better off buying the Colt and putting that $250 towards ammo or an Aimpoint, but a lot of AR15 buyers think midlength gas and LW barrels are must haves (or "nice to haves").
    Agree on "nice to have" and that the market has determined all of these things to be pretty much "need to have", regardless of facts or figure. I'm just not sure it's a $20 upgrade...

And, Colt at least has prototypes out for complete guns with consistent-profile barrels and mid-length has systems, so only time will tell if they offer those things in the OEM variety, but the very existence of those prototypes has me hopeful that Colt is (at least temporarily) pulling their heads out of their asses re: the hobby market.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    I hate that. I once asked Mark Larue what the price for his products were without all his vanity swag.

Quote Originally Posted by The Katar View Post
    BCM™ Included Upgrades:

BCM Mod 4 Charging Handle $50
    BCM Mod 3 Pistol Grip $18
    BCM QD End Plate $17
    BCM PNT™ Trigger $60
    BCM Trigger Guard $7
    Good point. Of course, the counter-point is that the very concept of the OEM is that you make the gun your own, and I'd argue that the GI trigger, A2 grip, and stock charging handle are all placeholders for everyone to swap out to what they like.

on that subject, I don't get how the charging handle became a fiddle-fart-part on the AR, but it has, which is all the more reason for an OEM model to just have the standard one so that the snowflakes can go get their fancy $200+ "ambi" side-charger, or whatever else is floating down from the sky in wintertime these days.

The charging handle is one of the really valid weak links which is easily replaceable by a much superior part. The BCM design is truly superior to the OEM in multiple ways. If people are bound and determined to play the fiddle fart game with their ARs, I actually wish they'd start here.

Honest question, whats the practical weakness of the OEM type charging handle and what do the upgrades do better?

User Tag List