Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Single stack DA/SA for carry?

Been carrying for ten years, fully understand the deaire for mo bullets. I have transitioned to DA guns from strikers, and have not yet found a suitable replacement for my P9. The 3913 seems closest, but parts appear to be an issue. I will continue my search and update if I find something.

Whatever it is would need to be considerably smaller than the P01, which is admittedly a pretty efficient 15 round DA blaster.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    Thanks for your input. Can you give me a quick rundown of common problems with the 3913's? I am not familiar with them at all.
    To reinforce what's already been said about Smith semi autos.

I called S&W customer service and asked the rep about the logistical situation with their guns. Gist of it is, slides plus a limited supply of small parts are on hand. Exact quantity of those parts and to what extent to which weapon type (2nd Gen,3rd Gen compact, full size, etc) is unknown to the mothership- so it's a lottery if HQ has small parts for your variant of Semi-Auto. The more common the variant, the higher your odds of getting back a fixed pistol instead of an M&P voucher.

Frames and barrels are history, so bust either part and its totaled.

Insofar as carry ability goes, back in my "derpy carry rotation days" I toted a nickel 439 around. It sure hid well enough.Yet. nowadays bad guys(and gals) roll in groups, and if a 6 shot revolver might not get the job done against a drug enabled scumbag(s) an 8+1 9mm ain't much better. Best to keep all 15+ in one ready to go carry package (Glock 19,M&P,etc) then in two magazines for a single stack system.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

How do you like running the CZ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Really like it. Metal frame CZ's are incredibly accurate, mags are cheap, and the P01/PCR are aluminum frame, making them only a few oz heavier than their polymer counterparts. The P01 with a few trigger parts and springs is a fantastic gun.i dont miss my G19 one bit.

The P01 is a duty gun in a number of overseas agencies and has proven very reliable for me.
    Last edited by Tom Fineis; 05-01-2016 at 08:16 PM.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    The 3913 is the best of the breed, IMO...and also out of manufacture. There aren't many single-stack DA/SA guns out there in a real caliber. Most of them aren't really any better in terms of width than some of the polymer double-stack options.

If money was no object, I'd buy a brace of lightly used 3913 pistols and whatever spare parts I could find. Or P7M8 pistols.

I've owned and carried the P239 and while I never loved the pistol it's adequate...and if you are intent on a hammer-fired gun it's probably the best option currently available.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 05-01-2016 at 08:32 PM.
    3/15/2016

What are the failure points on a 3913? I recall they're stout pistols, at least the steel frame 3rd gen guns. Smith made a lot of 3rd gen guns, and besides the barrel, frame, and slide, how many parts are unique to the 3913?

I'd buy a 3913, shoot the snot out of it. If it breaks and you can't repair it, the worst that happens is that you get a new M&P. For what you could sell the M&P for, it seems like the worst you'd be out is $200. That's a pretty good deal.

Get two, so you have a spare if one gives up the ghost on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 3913 and as much as I like it, the width is virtually identical to a Glock 19.

The DA trigger on mine is stupendous. The SA is just OK. Very reliable and scary accurate with the loads it likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    Just for slim width. I understand the 3913 and 225 arent much slimmer than a G19.

I am carrying a CZ P01 now and want something "one size smaller" for deeper concealment. My Kahr P9 fills that role but I would rather have something more similar to my P01.
    ...............................P01............P239...........P225A1........92 M Type
    Barrel Length............3.8 in...........3.6 in...........3.6 in...........7.8 in
    Overall Weight...........28 oz...........29.5 oz.........30.5 oz........30.9 oz
    Overall Length...........7.2 in...........6.6 in...........6.9 oz..........7.8 in
    Overall Height...........5.03 in..........5.1 in...........5.2 in...........5.3 in
    Overall Width............1.38 in..........1.2 in...........1.26 in.........1.4 in

Couldn't find specs on the 3913, but if memory serves me, it falls in line with the P239. I think to really go down a size, you would need to consider a SA or SFA.

I'm in the same boat. Recently switched to Beretta DAs after several years running primarily M&Ps and I'm disappointed in the lack of slim single stack options for those extra humid insta-crotch-sweat days here in the South.

I picked up a S&W 3953 to fill that role for now until I figure out something else or a more ideal option hits the market. It is 29 oz loaded, which is only marginally lighter than the PX4 Compact I've been carrying most days. But I've learned to take the numbers with a grain of salt. Some guns just carry easier than others despite what the dimensions look like on paper. The way the 3953 is balanced and the texture of the slide and grip just make it a more comfortable gun for me to carry all day in humid T-shirt weather.

Don't get me wrong... if there was something like a DA exposed hammer Shield, I would definitely give it a hard look. But the 3913/3953 seem to be among the best of the currently available options for a slim DA gun, and I've found my 3953 does offer some advantages in comfort and concealment over a compact/subcompact double stack, even if the numbers don't look that convincing.

I'm not thrilled that its out of production, but I am not looking at this as a life-long decision. I expect the 3953 to hold up well enough until another solution presents itself. And if I keep liking it as much as I have been, I'll probably hunt down another one in a few months while the prices are still hovering just under $500.
    The guy from Lucky Gunner

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet, but I'm trying. The thing that is attractive to me is the slim slide. From what I can find, it's only about 0.9" wide in DAO form. The P239 is a single stack under a shortened version of a big, go-to-war service pistol's slide. Top heavy and just awkward. Even the Beretta 92 Compact Type M has a shortened version of the 92 slide.

I was looking at a Hi Power and thinking, as I have many times before, "Why isn't there a compact pistol with a slide this narrow, and a good DA trigger?" I think I just needed to google the right things. There are some people who are really knowledgeable about these little Smiths over on Smith-wessonforums, and several active threads.

Site Supporter
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  54.0 KB3913:

Barrel length: 3.442"
    OAL: 6.95"
    Overall height (no magazine): 4.872"
    (Flat baseplate magazine): 5.146"
    (Curved baseplate mag): 5.422
    Width (at ambi safety levers): 1.335" - these are the original, slightly lower profile levers.
    (Single-side safety lever): 1.165" - newer, not quite as low-profile
    (At slide-stop lever, older): 1.02"
    (At slide-stop lever, newer): 1.112"
    (Slide): .925
    (Hogue rubber grip): 1.16"
    (Factory plastic grip): 1.097"

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  54.2 KB

In the second image, you can see the differences between the different levers. The engravings on the older one are roll stamped, on the newer are laser. And you can clearly see the different profile and machining between the standard 3913 and the LadySmith.
    Last edited by Duelist; 05-03-2016 at 12:07 AM.

User Tag List