Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Off to Europe to shoot some matches

so ended up spending 3 days in Ukraine on my way back to Vienna. But as always, that didn't go as planned. Ate something bad on Monday night in Vilnius, woke up with a very upset stomach Tuesday morning. Thought I, um, expelled the contents thoroughly, but I guess not. Went through passport control in Vilnius and bought some stomach meds at the pharm, got to security, put my stuff in the trays for the xray and walked forward, girl asks for my passport and boarding pass, and I pause. uh oh, I think. she asks again, and more, uh oh, from my head. She looks annoyed and then steps back as I puke into my mouth. I hold it all in, and it's ready to come out my nose, I look around frantically, she looks around too, I motion to an empty tray in the stack by the machine, she nods, I puke into tray. Say sorry, then look for somewhere to put it, she motions to put it back where I grabbed it. Ok, so I do. Then hand her my passport and boarding pass, she nods, gives em back, and I go through the metal detector. No one says a word. i'm apologizing to everyone and they act like nothing happened. I sort all my stuff out of my trays, repack carry on (laptop, charger etc) and notice the tray is still sitting there, full of puke, and people are just walking by it. weird.
    Get to Kiev, Alex picks me up, I tell him I not well, he laughs. We got to Zbroyar where he works as head of marketing. I get to see cool shooting facility and manufacturing plant. They make great AR15s and AR10 based rifles as well as their own design bolt action sniper rifle. Sit down with CEO/Owner head engineer and talk shop for a bit, when it hits me again, uh oh, I get up with panic and Alex and him tell me where to go, barely make it, puke for 15 minutes straight. 4 bottles of water and last nights remains go everywhere. Come back to them laughing at me in the conference room, sit down and break fancy chair 15 minutes later. Time to head back to hotel where I spend the next 1.5 days sweating and expelling the evil growing in me. Last day I wake up and feel human, go see a small amount of the city, which is friggin amazing. And the women, my god the women. Go out for a great dinner that night in the heart of downtown Kiev, which, really is where my hotel was (Dnipro hotel if you ever go, it's awesome and cheap). Then back to the hotel and discover, there is a strip club attached to my hotel, hmmmm, no sleep that night at all.... next morning cancel taxi as Alex has chased down a lawyer for me to meet. Head there, dude says no problem to get my guns and ammo back (if the ammo hasn't been stolen, errr misplaced), and he's willing to do it for cheap as I seem like a nice guy. Race to airport and spend 1hr waiting for customs to get their thumbs out of their ass and sign my export permit for my mags, that the week before were a non issue. Then check in, head to security and the line is 2hrs long, plane starts boarding in 30 minutes. Fuck. See business class line (which I am flying as it was cheaper than economy), it's 45 minutes long according to signs. Show a hot security chick my pass, she laughs and guides me through to the front of the line (to many comments, which while I couldn't understand, were obviously not happy). Throw crap in tray, realize I have a big water bottle, almost full, with me, put it beside tray and dude working machine throws it in tray, I walk through detector and make beeps, no idea why, no one says a word. trays come through machine and my water bottle is still there. Grab my stuff, look at watch, hmmm, 15 minutes until boarding, still time for business lounge.
    Now in Oparany for a match Sunday, borrowing a buds gun and ammo, see how this goes. Lithuania was a cock up, gun malf'd a few times, I malfed a ton. Ammo was good, when it fit the mag. Biggest problem was gun was zeroed to shoot above front sight, not behind it, so on far targets I had misses as they'd go over the top. 65% of Eduardo, the match winner. Usually shoot 85% of him minimum.
    Name:  image001.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  17.8 KB
    Name:  image002.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  17.9 KB
    Name:  image003.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  22.6 KB
    Name:  image004.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  17.4 KB
    Name:  image005.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  14.8 KB
    Name:  image006.jpg
Size:  22.4 KB
    Name:  image007.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  24.1 KB
    Name:  image008.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  21.1 KB
    Name:  image009.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  25.3 KB
    Name:  image010.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  26.4 KB
    Name:  image011.jpg
Size:  24.4 KB
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Man that sounds rough! What company was the rifle manufacture? Awesome pics and stories man!! Thanks for the updates.
    i used to wannabe

That broken chair is hilarious.

Hope you get your pistols back soon!

Wow. Your match tour is like that show The Amazing Race. I hope you get your guns.

Company making the rifles is Zbroyar, Ukrainian company, amazing facility.
    Couldn't make today's match due to my friggin jaw going apes hit at 430 this morning. FFS

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

So glad I didn't take the holiday over to Istanbul this week...
    In Vienna and went to SCW Range today to check out the match for tomorrow. It's like something from Men In Black, you wander down into this park, find the right door (with the IPSC target on the wall above) and in you go. Down old brick tunnels that then open up into massive brick tunnels. This is apparently the old abattoir for Vienna, and the tunnels were for moving the animals from area to area. It was also a natural cooler being so deep into the ground. There are large plugs in the floor that could be lifted out with equipment that allow access to the old, but still somewhat used sewer system. SUPER SUPER NEAT places to be, looking forward to the match tomorrow.

Name:  images001.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  25.2 KB
    Name:  images002.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  31.4 KB
    Name:  images003.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  40.7 KB
    Name:  images005.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  21.7 KB
    Name:  images007.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  33.9 KB
    Name:  images009.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  32.4 KB
    Name:  images013.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  33.8 KB
    Name:  images014.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  36.8 KB

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

So freaking cool man!!! Keep the updates coming! Good luck!!
    i used to wannabe

Passing through Wein on the way out of Hungary today. I'll wave.
    Ignore Alien Orders

11th today with 78.78%, buuuuuutttttt I have a legit reason for being below my normal 86ish percent. The gun I borrowed was spraying my bullets like a blindman with a slingshot. On my 3rd and 4th stage the RO pointed out the bullets going through my targets sideways, on the 6th stage it took me a bunch of shots to hit the mini popper/activator, and then when I got to the double swinger one round went about 4ft low into the Penalty target, but it looked so unlike a bullet hole the RO called it a ricochet. Off to the test bay to confirm it was the gun and not the ammo, yup, gun for sure as we put a different barrel in it and at 30m I kept 17 rounds on a business card with .18 splits. but at that point I was down a lot of points. Then bouncing two off a wall to get 2 misses didn't help lol.
    Below is the light beam stage, once you cross through the doorway you trip a light beam, which activates two swingers, and a 7 second countdown for the two windows, if you beat the 7 seconds and press the button, the timer is stopped and the windows stay open, screw up and the windows are sealed and you have to retreat up on top of the platform on each side to shoot the 3 targets on each side including the two movers. The big decision, shoot 2 targets and then run, or shoot 4 and then run, shooting either 6 or 10 rounds after the beam. I screwed my plan a bit, and did a reload after pressing the button, I'd meant to shoot dry (16) but went all Canadian and reloaded, flat footed too, I should have just dumped the mag while moving to the button. Great stage though.
    Last edited by Slavex; 07-16-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

now in mother Russia (I assume somewhere in my background I have some Russian blood, maybe?), in Yekaterinburg (Ekaterinburg). Beautiful city, beautiful women, and the single nicest shooting range I've been on. The match is held at a training facility where they do Biathlon and other sports, and there are 3 complexes of outdoor baffled ranges some 25m, 30m and 50m (and I think 1 100m in the 50m complex). Each complex has at least 6 bays that are about 30 wide maybe some being wider. All are covered in nice wood paneling from front to back and feature a large fully covered area at the back. Side walls are 7m tall and the baffles are about every 7m overhead. Under the wood is an absorbent material over concrete, no bullets are going anywhere. You can access neighboring ranges in each complex through side doors. The ground out on the ranges is gravel, so no mud even if it's raining.
    It would be an understatement to say it's awesome. Will try to get some pics up later.

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

User Tag List