Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Off to Europe to shoot some matches

hahaha, I'll have to think about that! If I was cool like Ben I'd have regular skype sessions or something. But I'm just a hack !
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

In Germany now, Heidleburg, for the Infinity match in Philippsburg. Stopped by the range today and checked out the stages, a couple are going to suck, there is a prone position on one, which me being old and fat, sucks, another looks like we have to zig zag back and forth about 15 yds each time while also moving forward about 30, so, lots of running. Or as I call it, falling forward. Sadly however, photographs and video are strictly verboten, due to constant struggles to keep their sport alive in Germany, we are not allowed to show you what happens at a match here. It really sucks as the range is just amazing, small piece of property with like 20 ranges on it. When it doesn't have a big IPSC match you can have multiple 300m ranges, they have these giant walls that can be moved (hydraulically maybe?) that segment the range into smaller pistol ranges. Friggin cool, and I can't show you. Sorry.

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

That's weird about the pictures.

Couple question, feel free to not answer them and I hope some aren't too personal..

1. How do you get your gun all these places? Do you ever just have to borrow one?

2. Any way to see the match results?

3. Is this you just wanting to go do awesome things awesome places or are you on a team or something?

5. Moar pictures!

6. What do you do about ammo?

7. How would a normal person go about traveling the world shooting gats?
    i used to wannabe

1. How do you get your gun all these places? Do you ever just have to borrow one?
    Previously I've borrowed or rented guns at matches, but I don't like doing that as I've had some pretty rough guns. I would bring most of own parts, grips, sear cage and hammer, safeties and springs, but that produced mixed results. This trip I've brought two guns, my match gun and my backup, which is actually broken and going to the factory in Czech to be rebarreled. It is tough to get permits for some countries, and I actually don't have them all yet, but hope I have them before I actually get there. If you see a post asking for bail money you'll know why lol
    2. Any way to see the match results?
    For my match in Russia, www.makeready.ru has the results, but they were missing 5 of my stages due to a screwup we did with the scoresheets (used sheets for a shooter who's place I took on the squad) As other results come in I will post links. Not sure why I didn't do that before??? Thanks for asking that. I will also post a pic of the results from Togliatti that I got at the end of the night
    3. Is this you just wanting to go do awesome things awesome places or are you on a team or something?
    I am a CZ sponsored shooter, which gets me my guns and some gear, as well as being sponsored by a number of companies back home, and also now in the USA (Pro Shot Products). That helps me with not spending money on gear and supplies, which I can then dedicate to travel instead. I also get cash from a couple of sponsors in Canada as well as gear that I can resell. Thanks to them I can now do this and not have to foot the whole bill myself. Back home I also teach which helps with some of the funds.
    5. Moar pictures!
    I am trying!!!! The internet is crap here in Germany but I will upload some more photos from Russia. The video looks like it might have to wait until I get home in August. I tried to upload one stage last night and youtube estimated 2hrs for it to upload
    6. What do you do about ammo?
    I took 500 rounds to Russia from home and now will be buying off a friend who loaded me 3000 rounds in Slovenia. I will also be buying factory here and there. In Russia I tested the Tula and Barnhaul and found the Tula was the best, 1 click no bang that went off on the second hit, vs one every 5 or 6 rounds with the Barnhaul. Ammo is a PITA but there isn't much I can do about that. One of the reasons I finally put an adjustable rear sight on my Shadow, I usually shoot 147gr bullets at home but over here it's usually 124gr or 115gr, which at distance is significantly different in elevation
    7. How would a normal person go about traveling the world shooting gats?
    Pick a country you'd like to visit, look them up on ISPC.org on the match calendar and start reading the various websites for signup, some are easy to get into, others sell out quick (like Extreme Euro in Czech). then send emails and see what kind of reply you get. While I've done it a bunch, I'm still learning. Some countries are easy to get into with guns others, not so much.

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Thanks for the detailed response man. Definitely jealous!
    i used to wannabe

well today was a failure, woken at 5am by my old jaw injury and missed the day of shooting. Made it down for the ceremony to find out another Canadian shooter had been DQ' and the 3rd one almost didn't make power factor. What a day.
    Spent some time talking to Maria, but not enough time to get to the questions I have for her for here. She loved how her gun shot, as did Robin Sebo who took 2nd at the match. Eduardo took first and Miroslav 3rd. Maria was further down, first lady with 92.52% of Ed. It was an incredibly technical match, I had 3 misses on day 1, including a plate I shot at once and then left (swinging plate, very small at about 18yds or more), only a handful of people hit on the first shot and a few more hung around shooting at it a bunch of times. Another miss was on a small swinging target at about 10yds, I called it hit, but was obviously wrong and the last miss was from a low port on a 30yd target, last target of the stage and I was off balance. thought it was a hit as I wobbled so I didn't make it up. But hearing that guys that are world champs had 6 mikes on day one made me feel good lol, of course they shot waaaaay faster. I had some good times though and I enjoy seeing the shocked faces from ROs when I am putting in times and scores right up there with the young fit guys. Just wish it was more consistent.
    All in all a friggin great time, now off to Slovenia and Slovakia for two matches this weekend. whoooottttt

Name:  13225025_10208756570025263_1795245106_o.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  27.3 KB

Name:  13234585_10208756567665204_431700748_o.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  13214395_10208756571385297_813527603_o.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  100.0 KB
    Last edited by Slavex; 05-15-2016 at 05:59 PM.

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

A nice little break shooting 600 rounds in practice in Slovenia. Video below is the last mag of 19 plus one in the chamber. I don't get to do this back home very often (never with my gear always LEO gear back home).
    I have to say the more I see of Europe the more I like it over here, most especially, umm, the women. My god.

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Sitting in the hotel in Ljubljana, Slovenia after shooting a prematch for a Level II here. Small 8 stage match (didn't snap photos of Stage 8's briefing or stage). Range is built in a gravel pit down near the coast (didn't get to see that either ). If they can convince the owner of the pit to allow them to expand back to their old area they could easily have 15-20 really good bays. Match was a nice little match, some tight shots, and some longish ones, but mostly up close stuff, which meant you had to not overspeed it. As the internet is still balls, video is going to likely have to wait.

Name:  image001.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  31.2 KBName:  image002.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  89.3 KBName:  image003.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  34.2 KBName:  image004.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  87.6 KBName:  image005.jpg
Size:  32.9 KBName:  image007.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  93.1 KBName:  image006.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  55.8 KBName:  image008.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  33.3 KBName:  image009.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  88.6 KBName:  image010.jpg
Size:  29.1 KBName:  image011.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  87.4 KBName:  image012.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  30.8 KBName:  image014.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  89.8 KBName:  image015.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  45.8 KBName:  image016.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  99.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Slavex; 05-20-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Didnt think my trip to Europe was going to involve any shooting matches. Guess I was wrong.

Distya Amiya was good for a few competetive runs. Turns out, my squad pretty much ran the table on the other crew.

Slavex,

That looks awesome, and almost makes me want to come out and shoot some IPSC! Have a good rest of your trip!

User Tag List