Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Off to Europe to shoot some matches

Saw the results on Facebook.

Nice job.

In your opinion, what is MariaG's biggest strength and how does she train? I've heard rumors that she has coaches/professional cadre of people helping her... Is this true at all?

I didn't get to see her shoot at this match unfortunately, but I would say her biggest strength is her natural ability. When I first shot with her in 2010 she was already an excellent shooter and hadn't yet done a ton of training. Since then of course she has trained extensively with Eric and others, honing her skills remarkably. She is incredibly fluid when shooting, and doesn't get distracted easily, even when things go wrong. As far as I've seen she is also great at figuring stages out, she makes good plans and executes them well.
    She does train a lot, multi thousand round days (yes days) and 10,000+ round weeks for example .But at matches, the most I've ever seen is her dad or the CZ team. Never see any coaches or anything like that. What she does when training on her own, I can't say (but I will ask her next week), I would expect she has some physical training/coaching though. One thing I've learned about Russia and it's shooters, they are as a whole, much much more serious about training to excel. They recognize that this is a sport and that if you are in peak physical condition it can only help your shooting. It does drive them slightly mad when I beat them on stages though, big fat, lame, old dude with fangs beating these friggin olympic athlete looking types lol. Thankfully they are also straight up amazing people and the camaraderie on and off the range makes for a very pleasant shooting experience.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

What an amazing opportunity and thanks for sharing with us! I'll be following this thread, what an adventure.

thanks man, I have to apologize for not getting video or pics up at a better rate. Seems that the photo upload sites don't link properly to here and we restrict the number of pics in a post as well, so it's a bit of a challenge getting stuff from my phone to here. As well it seems that my wee little laptop doesn't like processing video very quickly, or maybe the GoPro software just blows? I dunno.

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    I didn't get to see her shoot at this match unfortunately, but I would say her biggest strength is her natural ability. When I first shot with her in 2010 she was already an excellent shooter and hadn't yet done a ton of training. Since then of course she has trained extensively with Eric and others, honing her skills remarkably. She is incredibly fluid when shooting, and doesn't get distracted easily, even when things go wrong. As far as I've seen she is also great at figuring stages out, she makes good plans and executes them well.
    That must be nice... Having to figure this shit show out on my own is like a bad smack habit... Sigh...

She does train a lot, multi thousand round days (yes days) and 10,000+ round weeks for example .
    Well... Gotta reload a bit more, I guess...

But at matches, the most I've ever seen is her dad or the CZ team. Never see any coaches or anything like that. What she does when training on her own, I can't say (but I will ask her next week), I would expect she has some physical training/coaching though. One thing I've learned about Russia and it's shooters, they are as a whole, much much more serious about training to excel. They recognize that this is a sport and that if you are in peak physical condition it can only help your shooting.
    ^ This. I've started really being super deliberate in practice. I hope this pans out...

It does drive them slightly mad when I beat them on stages though, big fat, lame, old dude with fangs beating these friggin olympic athlete looking types lol. Thankfully they are also straight up amazing people and the camaraderie on and off the range makes for a very pleasant shooting experience.
    LOL

She does train a lot, multi thousand round days (yes days) and 10,000+ round weeks for example.
    Did she ever train at USA with Frank Garcia? I spent a day with him some years ago, and he told about a Russian gal who came over for a week, he was very impressed with her. Maybe Frank was just trying to motivate me to man up when he told me that she shot every day until she bled, then bandaged it up and shot a little more...
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

I believe that was her or Svetlana. I've heard the same story attributed to both.
    Maria just replied that we can do an interview about all this stuff, hopefully this weekend. She is on her way to Prague to train with her new Shadow 2 before Infinity this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing her run that gun this weekend. Just need to find a way to, Umm, liberate it or maybe Robin's for the rest of my trip.

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

I believe that was her or Svetlana. I've heard the same story attributed to both.
    Maria just replied that we can do an interview about all this stuff, hopefully this weekend. She is on her way to Prague to train with her new Shadow 2 before Infinity this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing her run that gun this weekend. Just need to find a way to, Umm, liberate it or maybe Robin's for the rest of my trip.
    Dude! Group hangout?!?!

I'm super curious and I hope you know I'm not a dick like some other USPSA people...

lol, of course man! but you'd need to be in Germany shooting the match!

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

lol, of course man! but you'd need to be in Germany shooting the match!
    Not if we use Skype or Google, or, you know, technology!

User Tag List