Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Competing using different carry position than ccw.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    it seems to me there are two issues facing an AIWB guy that wants to compete from his carry holster: (1) the carry position puts you in Limited and (2) shooting Limited Minor is moar harder.

My question is, would a .40 Glock be capable of making Major? So, then, could someone just buy the .40 version of their carry gun and shoot that in matches, set up otherwise identically to their carry gun? Whn I cared about such things, I always had one carry gun and one competing gun anyway, both Glock 19s, so it wouldn't have been a big deal for me to get my competition gun in a different caliber. Hell, I would think one could even carry a Glock 19 and compete with a Glock 35, using the same sights, trigger, controls, and holster for both guns, and not have too many "competition scars", or at least none I would think matter.
    One could definitely do that and I think it is a very sensible way to handle things.

A big thing that has kept me from going that route myself though is that I really like the enormous pressure to shoot well imposed by Minor scoring - especially in a Division where Major is allowed. I think I would become a worse shooter if it were suddenly game-profitable for me to shoot A/C on most targets. I think Minor is a lot better influence on me, with USPSA not being my sole focus, but as a means to further overall pistol shooting skill.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    One could definitely do that and I think it is a very sensible way to handle things.

A big thing that has kept me from going that route myself though is that I really like the enormous pressure to shoot well imposed by Minor scoring - especially in a Division where Major is allowed. I think I would become a worse shooter if it were suddenly game-profitable for me to shoot A/C on most targets. I think Minor is a lot better influence on me, with USPSA not being my sole focus, but as a means to further overall pistol shooting skill.
    I could see that. As others in the thread have discussed, I suppose it depends on what you're looking to get out of participating in USPSA.

One reason for my foray into the CZ world of USPSA Production was that I had been shooting my Glock 19, with all the train-as-you'll-LARP and other "mindest" stuff in my head. Eventually I had a mindset shift to "let's see how good you do when the equipment isn't holding you back" and bought the Shadow, various holsters and gear, etc. Turns out, what was holding me back the most was an interest in life outside of shooting/training/competing/talking-about-shooting/training/competing. And I'm now OK with that, and back to the Glock (34) as a less-expensive and easier-to-support compromise. But, I don't think the holster position thing is a problem for me anymore and don't actually shoot near as much as I used to.

While I get that many *can* do well with "lesser" equipment, or equipment that some might say holds them back or holds them to a higher standard, I'm no longer in that camp and therefore am looking to use whatever tool or equipment gives me the best (quantifiable) performance.

I'm no longer in that camp and therefore am looking to use whatever tool or equipment gives me the best (quantifiable) performance.
    That is spelled O-P-E-N-G-U-N.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    That is spelled O-P-E-N-G-U-N.
    True, to an extent. But then there's the cost of entry, and cost of support, which I'm trying to balance. I already have Glock magazines scattered all over, and holster, etc. And the gun itself is $600 not $6,000.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    So what do you think of stock 2 vs shadow? After I tried a few stock 2s, I am not impressed with their triggers at all. They do look shiny though and the box is awesome
    CZ is good... Tanfo?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Nope, I bought one after YVK, and am leaving it unmolested in the safe, since YVK needs one or more spares.

Rob, if you dropped an optic onto one of your G19 slides and shot Carry Optics, you will likely be able to outshoot your Shadow, and get a point from Gabe for your timminess.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Rob, if you dropped an optic onto one of your G19 slides and shot Carry Optics, you will likely be able to outshoot your Shadow, and get a point from Gabe for your timminess.
    Then there's that whole cost:benefit thing...

I played with an early Bowie Deltapoint M&P. Even wrote an article about it, I think. while I'm sure it's a case of "practice more", I had a hard time making the transition.

While I get that many *can* do well with "lesser" equipment, or equipment that some might say holds them back or holds them to a higher standard, I'm no longer in that camp and therefore am looking to use whatever tool or equipment gives me the best (quantifiable) performance.
    But then there's the cost of entry, and cost of support, which I'm trying to balance. I already have Glock magazines scattered all over, and holster, etc. And the gun itself is $600 not $6,000.
    A lot of people would probably argue that if you want to go for pure performance, you need to use a CZ/Tanfo in Production, a 2011 in Limited, or a $6000 Open gun in Open.

If you want to go with a less expensive option and would like to use gear you already have, that sounds like Glock all the way. I would think that if you are going to use a Glock, you'd be most competitive in Production.

Is there something else you are considering using for Production? Are you looking at some other Division?
    Lord of the Food Court

User Tag List