Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Competing using different carry position than ccw.

I like that ^^^^
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you want to shoot IDPA or USPSA Production, single stack or Carry Optics, you won't be shooting appendix. You need to decide whether devotion to appendix carry is sufficient to limit your gaming choices.
    This. To me since it is a game, my rankings don't matter.
    #RESIST

FIfY

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This. To me since it is a game, my rankings do matter.

How many people are willing to put in the effort to really get better at a game, and are happy losing at that game?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    How many people are willing to put in the effort to really get better at a game, and are happy losing at that game?
    I'm just competing with myself, I just enjoy shooting and want to get better at it. I suck at stage planning and really need to work at shooting on the move; USPSA helps me with that and...

it is fun.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    It's a conundrum....

I want to beat my previous time....

I also want to beat everyone else's time.

I also don't want to get killed in the street, but then I AM already shooting USPSA so there is that....

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    It's a conundrum....

I want to beat my previous time....

I also want to beat everyone else's time.

I also don't want to get killed in the street, but then I AM already shooting USPSA so there is that....

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk
    Tactical reloads without retention will get ya KILLED in the STREETS

You guys are way too kind to me.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    I recently got into competitive shooting. However, I carry appendix position every day but it seems most competitions don't allow this. I recently discovered I could carry their if I shoot limited or above in uspsa but I shoot Glock 9mm for competition.

What do my fellow appendix people do? I only got into competitive shooting to make me a better shooter. I don't want to "game" necessarily. I want to keep my focus on the defensive aspects of shooting. However, I'm also competitive so that gives me reservations about shooting limited shooting minor pf.

Am I overthinking it? Because trying to find time practicing drawing from two positions is taxing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Other people have already said most of what there is to say.

I think at the root of everything, is you deciding why you want to shoot USPSA and what you want to get out of it.

If you want to compete in the game, you should seriously consider playing it straight up. It is absolutely true that there are only a handful of draws per match. I think it is also true that as long as you are practicing with your carry rig separate from the competition, the handful of draws from your gamer rig within the competition aren't going to hurt your draws from your carry rig. I also think it is true that if you want the MAXIMUM possible familiarity and confidence with your carry gear, that you should stick with it for competition.

For people who carry certain ways - pocket, shoulder, ankle, deep concealment - there simply is no option to compete from their normal concealment.

A lot of people's carry guns are going to be way more challenging than my carry gun. Part of what I do is choose a strong compromise between street-sensible gear that's practical for me to carry, and highly capable gear that isn't total ruin in competitive shooting. It won't work the same way for everyone. Rich_Jenkins is talking about shooting USPSA with his Walther PPS - that's going to be a lot tougher than what I do.

So I think you need to know yourself, and whether you are going to walk away from the USPSA match wondering how you might have placed if you weren't using unnecessarily difficult gear, or if you are going to walk away from the USPSA match wondering how closely you could duplicate your technical performance in the competition using dedicated gamer gear, but with what you actually carry. I enjoy walking away from the match having minimized doubt about that second point, so that is why I do things the way I do (and this is how I have the most FUN too - a powerful factor that is not to be overlooked.)

It's also ok to change your mind as you go.

It's a pretty classically strong way to balance these issues by playing the game straight up, with a gun that is pretty close, but not identical, to what you actually carry - like shooting a juiced G34 in Production, then carrying a stock G19 in a different holster, for example.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

To me there is no point of competing without trying to win. "Competing with yourself" does not work. You are not going to get better without passion to win. You could spend years screwing around with your carry gun and remain on the same level which is extremely discouraging. Winning is motivating. Just shoot Production and practice with your carry gun separately. You should be able to adopt to different situations and different guns quickly. It is totally possible. Play the game trying to improve and win! The skills that you gain competing will help you with your carry gun enormously.
    I understand the power of timmydom though. It is mammoth
    Last edited by cheby; 05-03-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Is it insane to suggest acquiring a .40 version of your carry gun that would fit the same holster but allow you to score major? I guess that might be too "gamey?"

Ive thought of it more than once. My problem is that I don't reload and commercial .40 ammo kicks hard enough for me to a) not wanna shoot and practice with it b) be enough of impediment to performance gains. If I had a steady source of gaming .40 ammo, I'd be shooting Lim major out of appendix with a P30/L.
    Meanwhile I compete with a game setup and carry AIWB. No sleep lost.

User Tag List