Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Competing using different carry position than ccw.

Competing using different carry position than ccw.

I recently got into competitive shooting. However, I carry appendix position every day but it seems most competitions don't allow this. I recently discovered I could carry their if I shoot limited or above in uspsa but I shoot Glock 9mm for competition.

What do my fellow appendix people do? I only got into competitive shooting to make me a better shooter. I don't want to "game" necessarily. I want to keep my focus on the defensive aspects of shooting. However, I'm also competitive so that gives me reservations about shooting limited shooting minor pf.

Am I overthinking it? Because trying to find time practicing drawing from two positions is taxing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Gabe seems to be doing pretty well shooting Limited Minor with a Glock 9mm shooting from the appendix position; he could speak to this problem better than anyone. If you think about it, given that you are competitive, you could pull a Gabe and use the perceived limitations to make you practice that much harder, and thus get that much better at shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by jst0915 View Post
    Gabe seems to be doing pretty well shooting Limited Minor with a Glock 9mm shooting from the appendix position; he could speak to this problem better than anyone. If you think about it, given that you are competitive, you could pull a Gabe and use the perceived limitations to make you practice that much harder, and thus get that much better at shooting.
    My skills are no where near his. On the other hand I do think it would really push me to get better. Good points.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

If you want to shoot IDPA or USPSA Production, single stack or Carry Optics, you won't be shooting appendix. You need to decide whether devotion to appendix carry is sufficient to limit your gaming choices.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The way I see it you have a couple options.

1. game it and shoot game gear to be competitive i.e. No limited minor

2. Treat it as time behind the gun in a semi stressful situation that is simply a way for you to out your carry gear to use in a"dynamic" way. Operator points for use of dynamic BTW..

The only way you can have both is if you are insanely good LIKE MR WHITE!

I started off with option 2. But due to wanting to be more competitive at my current level I now shoot production in a full blown production rig. I still carry AIWB. I started out shooting carry gear and have decided I was to be a gamer. I still think time behind the gun is time behind the gun..

ETA: if I was a face shooter there would be no way I'd carry any other way then what I did for work and no way I'd use any other holster than that of which I wore at work. But I'm a lame civilian who will never use my gat if things go right.
    Last edited by Luke; 04-30-2016 at 10:19 PM.
    i used to wannabe

If you decide to go Limited minor from concealment, do it for yourself, because your competitors will give you little to no cred for it. Mostly they will be puzzled as to why you would handicap yourself in playing what clearly is a game.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

One more plug for Mr White. He usually wins Limited where I shoot USPSA. USPSA is a way to solve problems with a gun. I shoot to get better and have fun. I like the competition. If your focus is to get better with your carry gear, go for it.

I run gamer gear, mostly USPSA Production and occasionally IDPA (but less and less).

Carry might be OWB and/or AIWB and/or weak side cargo pocket depending on which gat or gatz I am carrying (I mix and match to meet the occasiona nd level of concealment requirement).

My non-game concealed draws are practiced FAR less. I do have some concern about this, but also consider that trying to win in a 'quick-draw' situation with an armed opponent is probably a losing proposition to begin with. Better to go for the concealed draw in a distracted moment.

I should probably optimize/train for improved concealed draws but frankly it eats into my gamer training time.

Site Supporter
    You don't have to be nearly as good as Gabe to be competitive in local matches shooting Limited Minor from concealment. Several USPSA shooters in my area shoot from their AIWB carry gear. For me, I have pretty limited time to spend practicing, so I prefer to not have to practice with different guns, gear, and carry positions.

Also, minor is only a disadvantage if you don't shoot As (says the guy who just switched to L10 major).

Assuming you're not becoming a full-time competitor, but rather are a normal dude who completes once or twice a month, then you are going to be getting, what, 6-12 total draws, from competing out of a normal holster? Unless the matches are the only time you're drawing from the holster, and you're not doing any practice or dry work, then I don't see how it's going to negatively affect anything.

If you drive a manual-trans commuter bucket all week, but occasionally drive your wife's auto-trans car on the weekend, does it screw up your ability to drive your own car?

Drawing from an un-concealed, USPSA-style holster during a situation where you know you're about to draw and can momentarily focus on doing it, is not rocket science. I wouldn't spend any time practicing that over my normal appendix draw stroke from concealment. If you reach the point that shaving a few tenths of a second off your draw stroke is holding you back from winning the match, then you can decide if you want to devote time to it.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from following in Mr. White's shoes, and competing from appendix, but I also don't think it's mandatory to get the value out of the competition and it may end up being a red herring to worry about holster position. It's not something to get wrapped around the axle about.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List