Thread: Learning after 45-wow this hurts.

Smile Learning after 45-wow this hurts.

I am just over 50 and have been learning this gun thing. Done some IDPA and STEEL MATCHES at my local club as well as taken a pannone class as well as a frank proctor class. I have learned a lot through this instruction. Over the winter I decided to get better by dry fire and this is where it starts to hurt. First I gave my strong hand trigger finger. After both PT and a shot the trigger finger went away. My therapist suggested using more tension with my support hand to reduce the crush grip and now I have tennis elbow.

It will get better however here is what i would like to know.

How important is it to squeeze the pistol.

Which grips tend to reduce these tendonitis type issues.

BTW also a crossfitter and decent chest and arm strength. About 80+ lb grip strength.
    A wise man told me that "only hits count" is the one truth.

The more you use your chest and shoulders to squeeze the less you need to use your hands. You still have to hold the thing tight enough to hold onto it and manage the recoil some what, but lots of good can come from utilizing the front delts and chest.
    Last edited by Luke; 04-30-2016 at 12:57 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    The more you use your chest and shoulders to squeeze the less you need to use your hands. You still have to hold the thing tight enough to hold onto it and manage the recoil some what, but lots of good can come from utilizing the front delts and chest.
    So how does one do that? Is there a way to visualize?

I would read this: https://www.absolutept.com/shooters-elbow/

I don't think it really makes sense to start messing with technique before trying other rehab options. I realize you have a PT but not all of them are equally qualified for certain sport specific injuries.

thanks. This basically my rehab program. I actually have a physician wife. Between band, ice, and this weight program I am almost good. That is why I am asking technique question now.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIRTainly View Post
    I would read this: https://www.absolutept.com/shooters-elbow/

I don't think it really makes sense to start messing with technique before trying other rehab options. I realize you have a PT but not all of them are equally qualified for certain sport specific injuries.
    Last edited by Drdan; 04-30-2016 at 06:14 PM.

User Tag List