Thread: So I bought a new flashlight for duty...

So I bought a new flashlight for duty...

Well I finally broke down and bought a new flashlight to celebrate my promotion and return to patrol. I got a Streamlight Pro-Tac HL (750 lumen model). I went with this light because of it's small size and rather high output. I went with a non-rechargeable light because I have to buy 123A batteries anyway for all my weapon lights and plus sometimes you just don't have access to electricity or chargers (the great flood of 2005).

Anyway, here are my questions for you folks that have this light:

1) What case/holder are you carrying it in?
    2) What mode do you use? So far, I keep in on high only because I have a Pro-Tac 1L clipped to my off side pocket for when I don't need 750 lumens.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JR1572

Did a review...-> http://www.vdmsr.com/2013/12/streaml...c-1aa-and.html

I carried it for a while before I swapped it for my EDC 2AA.

I did not carry it on duty, however, but know a coworker who does, he clips it inside his non-pistol side pocket using the clip provided.

Make sure you carry a lot of the batteries, this thing eats them.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

I did not carry it on duty, however, but know a coworker who does, he clips it inside his non-pistol side pocket using the clip provided.

Make sure you carry a lot of the batteries, this thing eats them.
    Thanks.

I keep a box of batteries in my unit to make sure all the lights stay fed.

JR1572

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=voodoo_man;438388]Did a review...-> http://www.vdmsr.com/2013/12/streaml...c-1aa-and.html

This is great timing! I have had a Streamlight Polytac for quite a while and while it's OK for general use, it's relatively low lumens and the 123 battery thing has me looking hard at the rechargeable Pro-Tac. vdm, what's your take on that one?

[QUOTE=11B10;438421]
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

This is great timing! I have had a Streamlight Polytac for quite a while and while it's OK for general use, it's relatively low lumens and the 123 battery thing has me looking hard at the rechargeable Pro-Tac. vdm, what's your take on that one?
    I really should do a review...I have enough time on it.

It is easily the best duty light I have ever used, as I stated in a different thread. I charge it every first day of night shift for the whole tour and its good for about 5 - 7 days of full use. I've walked around with it one a scene once, for about 3 hours and did not turn off the light once. It did not stop working and worked the next day whole shift.

There is nothing I want out of a duty flashlight that this one does not offer. Link to light.

Now there is a newer one out there. UltraStinger, wider head, metal body, three modes (the above only has two, high and strobe). It's bigger though.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I use the PRO TAC HL usb and love it. I'm tired of going thru the 123 batts. It's an incredible light for it's size. It doesn't quite have the throw of the other HLs, but the reflector has half the depth of the others as well. I keep a 300 lumen 4/Sevens in my go bag in case I can't charge the pro tac in the cruiser or on station.
    Last edited by iWander; 04-30-2016 at 10:58 PM.

I'm mainly using this as an off-duty light.

-I'm carrying it in the supplied Velcro nylon holder. But I noticed it fits, handle first, in an old Surefire V70 holder/holster:
    http://www.surefire.com/v70-speed-holster.html

-I set it to the Low/High mode; one press is low; a 2nd button press goes to high.

User Tag List