Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steel vs. aluminum frame (Sig in particular, but mainly in general)

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    trollop

Drat! Nice catch! But it appears I'm not alone in the misspelling. (We still need an evil smiley) LOL. For your general amusement...

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Drat! Nice catch! But it appears I'm not alone in the misspelling. (We still need an evil smiley) LOL. For your general amusement...

How do we know that you are not a promiscuous woman?

Quote Originally Posted by Hauptmann View Post
    How do we know that you are not a promiscuous woman?
    He has many personality traits of a promiscuous woman, except that he isn't a woman or having much sex.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    He has many personality traits of a promiscuous woman, except that he isn't a woman or having much sex.
    You're just feeling cocky b/c of your new found freedom from having the MIL living under the same roof all summer. Visiting family this week, I indeed HAVE gained some empathy for your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    You're just feeling cocky b/c of your new found freedom from having the MIL living under the same roof all summer. Visiting family this week, I indeed HAVE gained some empathy for your situation.
    That sounds like a lot of doing just to feel cocky. You could just put your hand in your pocket and there you go.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    ... You could just put your hand in your pocket and there you go.
    pocket pistols? Here's mine:

Name:  Snubbys.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  63.8 KB

More inside the waistband than pocket carry, but the AirLite carrys well in my jeans pocket, which is where I put it when in a restaurant or other situation where not taking off my coat would be gosh.

The steel 360 Pro Series .357 is far less painful to shoot, but the AirLite is vicious, even with .38's I only fired it once with .357's, five rounds, and that was quite enough. My wrist was sore for three days. Since the photo I added a laser rubber grip with special air channel cushioning over the backstrap which helps felt recoil quite a bit. I still only carry .38's in it (Golden Saber).

Digiroc

EDIT: And the Ladies like them, beautiful and mean. Gemini Carry
    Last edited by Digiroc; 05-03-2016 at 08:04 AM. Reason: ladies

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    To screw it all up again...

I just went to the LGS and handled an all stainless P220 and an aluminum frame P220 back to back. Aluminum was definitely lighter. It didn't have the heft of the steel, but it lacked the heft of the steel. If that makes any sense at all.

The steel felt really nice, like a 1911 but with a grip that fits me naturally. The weight did seem to slightly calm down the front sight wobble. A little.

I'd previously handled a 10mm with the 5" slide at a gun show, and the 4.4" slide all stainless didn't give me the same sense of front-heaviness that one did. Balanced much like a regular 220, just more gravity.

The Hogues have got to go, though. Can't move the levers with my thumb when it's stuck to the surrounding grip.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 05-04-2016 at 08:32 PM.

I'm waffling back and forth on the SIG aluminum vs. steel thing--I currently have a newer all-stainless P226, but am considering selling it to fund an aluminum-framed MK25. The stainless gun had problems at first, but that was due to a bad extractor spring (it has the long extractor) and is now trustworthy. I like that the MK25 has the short extractor, and the true 1913 Picatinny rail (the gun's role is a desk drawer office defense weapon with a Surefire X300 mounted). I think I can sell the stainless and get a MK25 at no out-of-pocket loss. Is the aluminum going to significantly (pun?) shorten the lifespan of the frame? Does the steel frame shorten the reliability window like with .40 caliber Glocks or sub-5" 1911s? Is one gun significantly better than the other?

Quote Originally Posted by jck397 View Post
    I'm waffling back and forth on the SIG aluminum vs. steel thing--I currently have a newer all-stainless P226, but am considering selling it to fund an aluminum-framed MK25. The stainless gun had problems at first, but that was due to a bad extractor spring (it has the long extractor) and is now trustworthy. I like that the MK25 has the short extractor, and the true 1913 Picatinny rail (the gun's role is a desk drawer office defense weapon with a Surefire X300 mounted). I think I can sell the stainless and get a MK25 at no out-of-pocket loss. Is the aluminum going to significantly (pun?) shorten the lifespan of the frame? Does the steel frame shorten the reliability window like with .40 caliber Glocks or sub-5" 1911s? Is one gun significantly better than the other?
    I had an alloy frame 226. That thing was massive. One would run out of ammo money long before the gun wore out.

Quote Originally Posted by jck397 View Post
    When they finally forced me to turn mine in, my issued P228 had nearly 20 years of service and probably 60,000 rounds through it, and it still shot as well as any Sig I've ever seen. Add to that, as far as I could determine, NONE of the springs were ever replaced in it's lifespan with my agency. I did put a new recoil spring in it every year (funded out of my own money, of course), but other than that, no maintenance besides clean and lube.

I wouldn't have any concerns with the "longevity" of the Mk25 - though I'm puzzled what advantage a "true Picatinny rail" provides...

User Tag List