Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glass breaking, lightening up on enforcing laws and gun theft

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I was thinking more Hunters Point / Bayview re: actual Danger. Maybe parts of the Mission at night - good food there though.
    Yeah, I was responding to the sleazy part, not the dangerous part. Tenderloin was plenty dangerous for me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    San Francisco is inconvenient to visit, either for business or pleasure, if "pleasure" is the word at all.
    Once in the city/county limits of San Francisco, there may be parking difficulties at one's destination.
    Now, couple that with an increased risk of an automobile break-in, although I recall getting my car radio stolen back in the 80's in San Francisco.
    I enjoy San Francisco immensely. I've been more than a dozen times and if I calculated all the days and nights in the Bay Area I've spent, I'll get well over 3-4 months. The long and short is - don't drive to San Francisco. Don't park your car there. And when you visit take a cab or the train.

Since, I can't carry a gun in California all the rest of those points are moot to me.

Anyways, I've got some upcoming research in SF and I'll be doing quite a bit of it over the next 3 years. Take the train, don't dress/act like a victim, be armed within the law, have a force continuum in place. And just keep 'on keepin' on. I suppose my perspective is...the people of San Fran want less penalties and more crime, fine with me, I just won't bring stuff to get ripped off.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 04-28-2016 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I enjoy San Francisco immensely. I've been more than a dozen times and if I calculated all the days and nights in the Bay Area I've spent, I'll get well over 3-4 months. The long and short is - don't drive to San Francisco. Don't park your car there. And when you visit take a cab or the train.

Since, I can't carry a gun in California all the rest of those points are moot to me.

Anyways, I've got some upcoming research in SF and I'll be doing quite a bit of it over the next 3 years. Take the train, don't dress/act like a victim, be armed within the law, have a force continuum in place. And just keep 'on keepin' on. I suppose my perspective is...the people of San Fran want less penalties and more crime, fine with me, I just won't bring stuff to get ripped off.
    If you are spending some time there, check out Izzy's Steak and Chops on Steiner between Lombard and Chestnut. No muss, no fuss, just good steak and it comes with two sides (unlike most other steak houses). I usually get the creamed spinach and Izzy's potatoes. Old school SF restaurant that's worth going to. It's the one thing I truly miss about living in SF.

http://www.izzyssteaks.com/

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I'll second the recommendation for Izzy's. Better deal and more variety than the House of Prime Rib on Van Ness. Slight derail, but that is the one thing SF still has going for it : the food. Any type of cuisine you can name, there's a place that does it well here. Even the darn hipster foodie places are good. Anyone coming into town who wants recommendations, PM me and I'll give you some spots for what you're hungry for.

Back to the thread....attended a community meeting last night with one of the city's last group homes for homeless youth. Staff there were really nice folks, a little lefty but not crazy, and were sincere about their mission of helping these kids. God bless 'em. But they just could not understand how crazy the city has become....they were railing against last weeks 4/20 celebration of weed. "What part of 'gateway drug' don't our city leaders understand?" Interesting that they're losing committed progressives like these folks....what my new friends don't get is that their politicians don't care. They are barely even pretending to represent their citizens anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    If you are spending some time there, check out Izzy's Steak and Chops on Steiner between Lombard and Chestnut.

http://www.izzyssteaks.com/
    One evening last fall, I had an excellent dinner there with Nyeti and another poster.

Prop. 47 was the crack in the dam, taking away any incentive in the system to get clean, and AB109 / re-alignment was the dam buster.

I love their skirt steak.

Wife got a job in Santa Clara. Right now we're doing the long distance thing. I'm on the cusp of moving out there but it's complicated and we know she will have a chance to come back in a year.

Anyway-

I've been crashing with her on weekends and I love riding the train up into the city. There's great food, coffee and people watching. The city has a magical feel to it. I couldn't imagine doing police work up there though. I couldn't imagine living inside the city. I'm not surprised that there is a street crime problem.

I think it would be better to live down the peninsula and train up to the city. I've been told there are some great police departments down the peninsula.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post
    Wife got a job in Santa Clara. Right now we're doing the long distance thing. I'm on the cusp of moving out there but it's complicated and we know she will have a chance to come back in a year.

Anyway-

I've been crashing with her on weekends and I love riding the train up into the city. There's great food, coffee and people watching. The city has a magical feel to it. I couldn't imagine doing police work up there though. I couldn't imagine living inside the city. I'm not surprised that there is a street crime problem.

I think it would be better to live down the peninsula and train up to the city. I've been told there are some great police departments down the peninsula.
    The peninsula has some problem areas. East Palo Alto and to a lesser extent parts of Redwood City, South San Franciso and Daly City.

Not to mention the Pennisula is crazy expensive. I worked a case with Palo Alto PD. The officer I was working with lived with his family three hours south in Lemoore. They worked a compressed schedule so he drove a motor home to work, parked it in the PD parking lot and stayed in the RV during his work week.

San Mateo county makes up the majority of the Peninsul. The San Mateo county Sheriff's Office has a house they seized in a case which has been converted into a bunk house for Deputies who live outside commuting distance due to the extremely high cost of living. I believe in he Marin county SO in the North bay has a similar bunkhouse for the same reasons.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The peninsula has some problem areas. East Palo Alto and to a lesser extent parts of Redwood City, South San Franciso and Daly City.

Not to mention the Pennisula is crazy expensive. I worked a case with Palo Alto PD. The officer I was working with lived with his family three hours south in Lemoore. They worked a compressed schedule so he drove a motor home to work, parked it in the PD parking lot and stayed in the RV during his work week.

San Mateo county makes up the majority of the Peninsul. The San Mateo county Sheriff's Office has a house they seized in a case which has been converted into a bunk house for Deputies who live outside commuting distance due to the extremely high cost of living. I believe in he Marin county SO in the North bay has a similar bunkhouse for the same reasons.
    When I was applying to MD-PhD programs I excluded LA, NY and Chicago due to the cost of living + fixed NIH stipend mismatch. I still applied to the famous SF area schools but in hindsight I shouldn't have wasted my time. On a fixed salary of ~33k/yr in SF you can barely afford a shoebox to live in. I know the school has (minimal) subsidized housing assistance but there is no prestige worth living in a dorm for 8 years...

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    Say what you want but we have seen a large decrease in violent crime since the mid 90's. It started right after the get tough on crime bills passed during that time. Was this a coincidence? I think not. Now we are rushing to decriminalize/roll back much of these 1990's reforms. I think we will know where this is going to end; hell we are already seeing increases in violent crime in jurisdictions that are soft peddling.
    While I agree with the "broken windows" style of policing, more than one study has posited a causation between the decrease in violent crime since the middle 1990s with the phase out of lead in gasoline. There is a lot of evidence that suggests lead intake lowers ones inhibitions. http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Lead-crime_hypothesis

My personal belief is that there is more than one root cause for the drop in violent crime, and that less lead and "tough on crime" laws are each one of those root causes.

User Tag List