Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Out and About Gun Storage

I end up having to stash my piece in my truck or my wife's SUV pretty much everyday, multiple times daily on occasion. Not only are firearms prohibited by my employer(there's 5 days/week), but being the heavily involved father of two very athletic young boys I am supposed to disarm every time I enter their schools(as well as the middle school and high school gyms they use, and every other school they play at), every football stadium they practice and play games at(again, school property), not to mention being specifically prohibited by Little League International as a head coach(6-7 days/week for 1/3 of the year). These are just the most frequent prohibited places I'm supposed to disarm, along with some of the places others have previously mentioned like USPS and posted privately owned businesses. Without admitting to anything personally, if you can't simply avoid some of these places, they're treated as non-permissive environments; concealed IS concealed. To summarize, in my specific situation, having to leave my gun in my vehicle cannot be avoided.

For many years I've wanted one of those custom electronic boxes that open with the push of a button and lock up totally hidden, like I've seen on TV transporting contraband over the border. Having it done right is cost prohibitive. I've gone the easy route of just hiding it under the seat or going one step better and just using a simple cable lock around the seat supports. I just bought a new F-150 that I'll drive for at least the next 5 years so I'm going to be upgrading to whatever the largest Gunvault-type box I can fit under a front or backseat. In my ideal world I'd never have to disarm; unfortunately I just don't live there at this time in my life.

I'm fortunate that in my state those signs do not have force of law. Most of those businesses I avoid, but sometimes you just gotta take a kid to the movies. Concealed is concealed here.

So, for the most part I just don't have to deal with it. But, on occasion I have to go to a teacher meeting or a concert where I know we will be wanded, etc. I'm too damned simple to get one of those fancy safes. An extra thick bike lock lives in my bag; it has proved surprisingly versatile. But, the original reason for it was to loop through the guard of the pistol and secure to a vehicle/radiator/whatever. It does add a level of administrative handling I prefer to avoid, but like I said this isn't something that comes up often for me. I'm just one round down sometimes if it isn't my car.

If I had to do it a lot, I'd get a safe I could bolt somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    I'm on board from the capitalist standpoint for sure. Struck me as dismissive at first, but I get where you are coming from.

These types of conversations speak greatly to the massive difference between armed civilians and MIL/LEO procedures and priorities.
    Don't drop the .mil into this! We're often more hamstrung than the civilians! We mayyyyyy get some professional courtesy but if you go to some of the bigger bases where you have 19 year old soldiers and sailors causing a ruckus every weekend local LE may not be so friendly. Oh and our gates our often guarded by contract security who sometimes search cars. I've seen guys hemmed up for having a samurai sword in their car. And bringing a personal firearm on base is a FEDERAL offense that is not taken lightly. I drive through some kind of skosh areas on the way home and I often work late into the night but I can't bring a firearm with me. It blows!

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    What has to be mailed usps?
    Chickens They wont load them on the delivery trucks, so someone need to go to the post office to get them.

I bolted a lockable ammo can between the seats of my vehicle, holds just about anything it needs to.

Generally staying in a hot, southwest metropolis.
    I replaced my 'center console' with a unit from Tuffy Products. It's lockable with a key, I wish it could have a combo dial like on a brief case but it's not a huge pain point.

My main CCW goes in there because of NPE that is my current job and I basically have a 'gym shorts' CCW that lives in there 24/7 to be used when I run an errand after the gym. I also keep the garage door opener and insurance/reg in there (because personal info/address etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by steaknvodka View Post
    I replaced my 'center console' with a unit from Tuffy Products. It's lockable with a key, I wish it could have a combo dial like on a brief case but it's not a huge pain point.

My main CCW goes in there because of NPE that is my current job and I basically have a 'gym shorts' CCW that lives in there 24/7 to be used when I run an errand after the gym. I also keep the garage door opener and insurance/reg in there (because personal info/address etc.)
    How often do you just leave your CCW in the Tuffy unit instead of strapping up? Short ride back, ect. Be honest.

I'm just thinking that if your gun and insurance/reg are in the same compartment, that's a very bad combo if you get pulled over.

Like, life ending bad. I'd never want the possibility of reaching into one compartment that houses both items, honestly.

I bet that whatever is on your insurance/registration is mostly publicly available info, anyway. Not sure what the danger is there if someone breaks into your car and makes off with your insurance card.
    Last edited by TGS; 04-28-2016 at 01:18 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    Chickens They wont load them on the delivery trucks, so someone need to go to the post office to get them.

I bolted a lockable ammo can between the seats of my vehicle, holds just about anything it needs to.
    We are big chicken fans at my house, though we prefer to buy them locally. Just added 4 hens to the flock...Astrid, Khaleesi, Malificient and my favorite, Isabeau. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by philpac33 View Post
    I end up having to stash my piece in my truck or my wife's SUV pretty much everyday, multiple times daily on occasion. Not only are firearms prohibited by my employer(there's 5 days/week), but being the heavily involved father of two very athletic young boys I am supposed to disarm every time I enter their schools(as well as the middle school and high school gyms they use, and every other school they play at), every football stadium they practice and play games at(again, school property), not to mention being specifically prohibited by Little League International as a head coach(6-7 days/week for 1/3 of the year). These are just the most frequent prohibited places I'm supposed to disarm, along with some of the places others have previously mentioned like USPS and posted privately owned businesses. Without admitting to anything personally, if you can't simply avoid some of these places, they're treated as non-permissive environments; concealed IS concealed. To summarize, in my specific situation, having to leave my gun in my vehicle cannot be avoided.

For many years I've wanted one of those custom electronic boxes that open with the push of a button and lock up totally hidden, like I've seen on TV transporting contraband over the border. Having it done right is cost prohibitive. I've gone the easy route of just hiding it under the seat or going one step better and just using a simple cable lock around the seat supports. I just bought a new F-150 that I'll drive for at least the next 5 years so I'm going to be upgrading to whatever the largest Gunvault-type box I can fit under a front or backseat. In my ideal world I'd never have to disarm; unfortunately I just don't live there at this time in my life.
    http://www.consolevault.com/Ford-F15...l#.VyJV-OlOk0M

Had been wanting to get one for my f250 until it was stolen. I'm on my 2nd f250 and try to never leave firearms in the vehicle unless I'm within sight of the vehicle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JM Campbell; 04-28-2016 at 01:30 PM.
    AKA: SkyLine1

I'll leave my gun in the car when I referee or they have metal detectors. I put it in the glove box and lock the car.

Same boat. I'd never disarm from morning to night but there's too many places I can't go or there's no place to conceal. And then there's that pesky little issue with having a drink somewhere or at dinner. I've thought about giving up drinking to carry all the time but that's a little unrealistic.... And boring.

User Tag List