Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Out and About Gun Storage

I too have a NanoVault (NV200), easily fits a Browning Hi-Power, 4" GP100, or a J-Frame and two speedloaders. http://www.gunvault.com/nanovault-200.html

I cable mine to the passenger seat frame. Our car is very small, so getting it out from under the driver's seat is actually a struggle, getting it out from under the passenger seat is much easier.

As for times when you might need to disarm...I don't like going to the hospital to visit people, but sometimes I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    I'm fortunate that in my state those signs do not have force of law. Most of those businesses I avoid, but sometimes you just gotta take a kid to the movies. Concealed is concealed here.

So, for the most part I just don't have to deal with it. But, on occasion I have to go to a teacher meeting or a concert where I know we will be wanded, etc. I'm too damned simple to get one of those fancy safes. An extra thick bike lock lives in my bag; it has proved surprisingly versatile. But, the original reason for it was to loop through the guard of the pistol and secure to a vehicle/radiator/whatever. It does add a level of administrative handling I prefer to avoid, but like I said this isn't something that comes up often for me. I'm just one round down sometimes if it isn't my car.

If I had to do it a lot, I'd get a safe I could bolt somewhere.
    Indiana was very CCW friendly. Grew up there and stayed until retirement, and we came out to Arizona. Everyone tells us how great Arizona is about CCW, but we haven't seen it. Lots of places have the sign on the door or in a window. It's very frustrating to us, after rarely ever seeing it in Indiana. I do precisely what SLG suggests, and just go elsewhere.

Generally staying in a hot, southwest metropolis.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    How often do you just leave your CCW in the Tuffy unit instead of strapping up? Short ride back, ect. Be honest.
    Honestly rarely. The big exception to that is if I don't brown bag my lunch to work, then yes, I'm too lazy to do the untuck/tuck-in dance when leaving property for a burger (why I'm in so many J-Frame threads trying to decide on the feasibility of a 442/340PD in the pocket.

I'm just thinking that if your gun and insurance/reg are in the same compartment, that's a very bad combo if you get pulled over. Like, life ending bad. I'd never want the possibility of reaching into one compartment that houses both items, honestly.
    I'm actually not concerned about this at all honestly. The two times I've been pulled over after getting CCW just re-enforced that my protocol for that situation works well. Also, I would never stick my mitt in the same area as my firearm in that situation w/o notifying the officer. However, if I was to go full Tropical Storm Retard and do so the Tuffy is so deep in my vehicle that one can't even see the firearm.... which just speaks to how terrifying that job can be.

I bet that whatever is on your insurance/registration is mostly publicly available info, anyway. Not sure what the danger is there if someone breaks into your car and makes off with your insurance card.
    Can you dive into this more? I know if I was to own a home/land in my name that record is publicly available. I lock up the insurance/garage door opener because I've heard that there had been crooks breaking into cars, getting those two items and thus knowing where you live and giving them access to your garage where they could surreptitiously enter your home. I don't know if that's gospel but locking them up doesn't seem to hurt anything.

I can't carry at work. I'd be lucky to just get fired, and I'm too old to start over yet again even if that's all that happened. Also not supposed to have a gun in the car in the lot, which I would ignore if I could be sure of security for, say, an LCR as a car gun.

Oddly enough, the only place I go where I leave my gun n the car (in a lock box, which I am not comfortable using full time*) is gun shows...

*Part of the problem with disarming in the lot at work is the certainty of being seen, and eventually being dimed out. Thus the LCR as car/trunk gun thing. The lock box is secure enough for the two hours or so I'm usually in the fun show, since the lot is patrolled.
    Last edited by Drang; 05-01-2016 at 08:47 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Unless a place has a metal detector I generally use the philosphy of concealed is concealed. That being said, if necessary I use the same thing as I do when I fly. Pelican 1170 with 2 master locks keyed the same. I use the red cable lock you get when you buy a new gun through the handle to secure it to something.

I wish I found a less bulky solution that is secure while flying but still no luck. Works great in a car with no issues.

I also think a simplex lock lockbox would work great too.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 05-01-2016 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    *Part of the problem with disarming in the lot at work is the certainty of being seen, and eventually being dimed out. Thus the LCR as car/trunk gun thing. The lock box is secure enough for the two hours or so I'm usually in the fun show, since the lot is patrolled.
    This. How do some of you guys arm and disarm with these lock boxes? Ideally, I would carry until I got to work but then, even with a sunscreen up in the front and darkened windows in the back, anyone looking through your driverside and passenger Windows is going to see you disarming. Unless I'm missing something, there's not too much discrete about pulling out the piece, holster and mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Notso View Post
    This. How do some of you guys arm and disarm with these lock boxes? Ideally, I would carry until I got to work but then, even with a sunscreen up in the front and darkened windows in the back, anyone looking through your driverside and passenger Windows is going to see you disarming. Unless I'm missing something, there's not too much discrete about pulling out the piece, holster and mags.
    Really? I surreptitiously draw every time I pull up to an ATM. Great thing to practice often with a blue gun.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Really? I surreptitiously draw every time I pull up to an ATM. Great thing to practice often with a blue gun.
    I am not sure I understand. How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Unless a place has a metal detector I generally use the philosphy of concealed is concealed. That being said, if necessary I use the same thing as I do when I fly. Pelican 1170 with 2 master locks keyed the same. I use the red cable lock you get when you buy a new gun through the handle to secure it to something.

I wish I found a less bulky solution that is secure while flying but still no luck. Works great in a car with no issues.

I also think a simplex lock lockbox would work great too.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Have you tried a Glock box? They work great for putting 2 pistols in a suitcase.

Quote Originally Posted by Notso View Post
    I am not sure I understand. How so?
    How do I surreptitiously draw while seated? I focus on keeping my shoulders level, and I make sure my handgun is positioned so that I can access it without releasing the seatbelt. I stay very conscious of muzzle direction, retain the gun pointed at the tranny until I come to a stop, and lay the gun in my lap to put it in park and make the transaction. I reholster after I drive away.

I do the same if I need to disarm while driving, and hate it even more than hitting an ATM.

User Tag List