Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 14 in Shotguns

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Now you need to SMS your magazine...
    It that extra length intentionally -- gets me 5+1 rounds (one extra) and helps protect the muzzle from damage and debris.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Cruising around rig -- 14 inch shotty and Scandium 329 with extra Brenneke slugs in HP chest pack.

Picking blueberries in grizzly country:

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Cruising around rig -- 14 inch shotty and Scandium 329 with extra Brenneke slugs in HP chest pack.
    Is that NP3, George? How do you like it on an 870 if so?

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Is that NP3, George? How do you like it on an 870 if so?
    NP3 is fantastic on an 870, as it adds lubricity that helps the pumping action and makes it virtually impossible to damage in foul weather. I have shot multiple days in the rain, left the shotgun in the bottom of an inflatable canoe where it was sloshing in water, and it still looks new with no cleaning. The only downside is it sheds slightly, and you will have some black on your hands after carrying it, from holding the NP3 surface.

GJM How's the front sight attached on the 870?

Is that porting behind the front sight?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    I really prefer the 14 inch barrel for close in work. Very little of the gun protrudes past my support hand, so there is very little to grab at. It would be much harder to disarm the holder of a SBS compared to a longer gun.

Also, at low ready, the muzzle does not project any further ahead of me than does the muzzle of a handgun at low ready. It's a common misconception that the handgun projects less in tight quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Is that porting behind the front sight?
    Yes, by Vang along with his choking thing. I have come to dislike the porting, as it is loud, especially in a 14 inch barrel. Also, I nearly blew my left thumb off (slight exaggeration), when I went to shoot some slugs off the seat of my atv from kneeling. My left thumb got far enough forward to cover a port, and I never hope to experience again what I felt at the first shot.

I ended up having replacement barrels made without ports, and actually have four NP3'd 14 inch barrels with porting and the Vang Comp choking, if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    GJM How's the front sight attached on the 870?
    I have custom front sights by Jim Brockman. I believe they are screwed on, but I will need to check with him.

Here is one set up by Brockman after I ditched the ported barrels.

Brockman is here in Idaho. Does excellent work with guide guns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

User Tag List