Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $600 for a .308 bolt, suppressor capable

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Don't kid yourselves, Savage is having quality issues. A close friend bought a Savage 111 in 300WM last year that shot so far left that he almost ran out of windage adjustment in his scope. Savage did take care of the issue and the gun shoots well now.

So either way it is a crapshoot but like SLG said, if the Remington doesn't do what you want, getting it right won't cost a whole lot.

I'm to the point anymore that I would just buy a cheapie Remington and build it up the way I want it anyway.
    Are there other Savage issues being reported often or just this one gun?

It seems like failures to fire are a little common on savages. A friend of mine has a 111 that does that usually 2-3 times out of 50. Savage would probably take care of it, but he just got it to play around with so I'm not sure he even cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Are there other Savage issues being reported often or just this one gun?
    I'm seeing a few other issues when reading rifle forums. Tight/undersized chambers seem to be another issue with Savages.
    Most recent issue I have seen Tight chamber
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11HOGHUNTER

This one. Also not a rifleman other than the AR, but I've fingered one and thought I ought to give it a nice home one day.
    This is the only answer I've come up with given my own criteria of:
    1) <$600
    2) threaded barrel
    3) iron sights
    4) open ejection port
    5) <7 lbs
    6) 5 rounds
    7) Controlled Round Feed

I do wish it held another round, and was actually under 7 lbs.

I'm actually to a point that I'd be willing to go up in price to get the full list fulfilled.

ETA: I think the Savage is also push feed, which I don't want.
    Last edited by rob_s; 04-26-2016 at 11:58 AM.

The Ruger American Rifle or whatever it's technically called has gotten rave reviews. Quality CHF barrel, threaded from the factory, decent trigger form what I hear.

I own one of the Remington 700 AAC-SDs in .308 with 16.5" threaded barrel. I did not have a good experience with the factory barrel although that's been addressed by their CS. I would strongly consider a Tikka T3 if you can find one within your budget. Higher build quality than a Remington or Savage, and very good factory accuracy when I have seen them shot. Note that Tikka is replacing the T3 with the T3x, which consists of upgrades based seemingly on responses to customer requests or complaints.

If you want a detailed comparison of T3 to 700, KRG has an excellent article here.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    I own one of the Remington 700 AAC-SDs in .308 with 16.5" threaded barrel. I did not have a good experience with the factory barrel although that's been addressed by their CS. I would strongly consider a Tikka T3 if you can find one within your budget. Higher build quality than a Remington or Savage, and very good factory accuracy when I have seen them shot. Note that Tikka is replacing the T3 with the T3x, which consists of upgrades based seemingly on responses to customer requests or complaints.

If you want a detailed comparison of T3 to 700, KRG has an excellent article here.
    You are the third person I have read about with an issue on the 16.5" AAC-SD's. I have one of the 20" models, and the factory barrel has been acceptable so far. Once the throat erodes, I'm going to have Aaron Roberts upgrade it for me with a Mike Rock 5R or Bartlein barrel.

Tikka, to me,would be the best choice,the CTR in either .260 or .308 would be hard to beat(it might be over budget though).Next,I would consider the Weatherby/Howa line.I have a customer thats currently having issues with his Savage,Acu-Trigger related,and have read about otheres.Savage QC isn't great,nor is Remington.For a much less expensive rifle,the Ruger American Ranch might be worth looking at.I also like the Winchester Model 70they make a compact model in .308 that would be a great choice but over budget.
    Last edited by RONK; 04-27-2016 at 06:41 AM.

I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

So I went just a little over budget ($725 shipped) but I picked up a 15 year old PSS. Quality era Remington. Planning to chop it to 16" but wanted to make sure there were no mjor issues before I paid for the chop and thread. This is 5 rounds @ 100 LR118. Pretty happy!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List