Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $600 for a .308 bolt, suppressor capable

$600 for a .308 bolt, suppressor capable

Alright guys, this is sort of the culmination of a few threads. I've made a deal happen where I have $600 to spend on a .308 bolt gun. I already have the glass for it. Purpose is primarily hunting whitetail out to 250 yds with a suppressor. Also, I'd like to occasionally play on steel out to 600. I have some mil sniper buddies so this would also be a rig to play around with them. Going with .308 because I like the caliber and already have ammo and suppressor. I've had 3 different built up 700's in the past and all were sub MOA shooters with factory match ammo. Based on that, coupled with my requirements I was thinking the 16.5" AAC-SD. Remington's running a $100 rebate and local shop has them for $622, so really $522 after rebate. That said, many here have recommended the Tikka. Ok, tell me about it and why it over the 700 (like a Glock 17). The eventual plan for the Remmy would include either a B&C or Magpul stock and a Timney trigger. I do have the option if I fudge my budget just a little to pick up a used 700 AAC 16" in a Magpul stock/chassis with their DBM for $775.

Ready, set, go!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    I am at the very, very edge of my lane but I believe that savage sells a pre threaded 20 inched barreled .308 with the adjustable accutrigger that has a street price in your general range. I have the precursor to that rifle and it will hold sub moa with port surplus, igman soft point and will nearly cloverleaf with Fed GM match at 200 off a bag or bench and I am no rifleman. I am quite sure that it will do its part out to 600 if you do yours.

YMMV Greatly

That poor little guy in .308 would need a book of postage stamps to play with my big boy rifle.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I am at the very, very edge of my lane but I believe that savage sells a pre threaded 20 inched barreled .308 with the adjustable accutrigger that has a street price in your general range. I have the precursor to that rifle and it will hold sub moa with port surplus, igman soft point and will nearly cloverleaf with Fed GM match at 200 off a bag or bench and I am no rifleman. I am quite sure that it will do its part out to 600 if you do yours.

YMMV Greatly
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11HOGHUNTER

This one. Also not a rifleman other than the AR, but I've fingered one and thought I ought to give it a nice home one day.

Site Supporter
    The Tikka has consistent quality and accuracy - it is the Glock / Honda / Toyota of bolt guns.

The current Remington's are a crap shoot - like a 1970's domestic car - you could get a Monday gun, you could get a Wednesday gun.... It's not just Remington 700's, or even just Remington commercial guns. A couple years ago Remington one the initial award for the MSR, a modern both action sniping system for the military, a successor to the M 24. Remington tried to go cheap and switch the barrels on the production guns . Remington was unable to supply production guns which met the same standards as the samples they had submitted for testing. The military quietly stop accepting delivery of any more of the rifles and let the contract expire. If Remington is trying to cut corners like that on a prestigious military contract, what are they going to do on rifles for schmoes like you and I?

If you don't want a Tikka, the savages are good guns. They're not as aesthetically pleasing but they shoot well.

By the time you replace the stock and trigger on a Remington, you could be into a Ruger precision rifle. I've heard the .308s don't shoot as well as the 6.5's but they are still performing many times better than the 5MOA Remington considers acceptable for an AAC or SPS.

There's more to the MSR issue than that, but I agree with the bigger issue of remington's current QC/corner cutting.

My friend's who shoot Savage are very happy with them for LR guns.

The Ruger is the hands down winner for out of the box LR stuff today, at a reasonable price.

Sean's big boy gun is a beautiful thing, and you will want one once you get into this stuff :-) Not $600.:-(

I have very little Tikka experience, but would be very tempted to go in that direction if I was starting my battery over.

If you really want a 700, then I would do that. If it isn't up to snuff, you can always have a smith upgrade it one part at a time, and you will end up with a very nice gun. Not $600, but you can do it for not a horrible amount either. However, once you get your rifle, the long range costs are just starting. It is not a cheap endeavor, unless you like frustration.

I would vote for Tikka in a heartbeat if you were planning on using it as a base for a build in the future. But in the base case, the T3 lite in your budget probably doesn't have enough barrel to be an effective suppressor host. My vote for an as-is, in your budget rifle would be Savage, and not Remington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    That poor little guy in .308 would need a book of postage stamps to play with my big boy rifle.
    .338 or .408?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Don't kid yourselves, Savage is having quality issues. A close friend bought a Savage 111 in 300WM last year that shot so far left that he almost ran out of windage adjustment in his scope. Savage did take care of the issue and the gun shoots well now.

So either way it is a crapshoot but like SLG said, if the Remington doesn't do what you want, getting it right won't cost a whole lot.

I'm to the point anymore that I would just buy a cheapie Remington and build it up the way I want it anyway.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11HOGHUNTER

This one. Also not a rifleman other than the AR, but I've fingered one and thought I ought to give it a nice home one day.
    I've always been a Remington 700 guy, but I have one of these in .338WM and I'll probably get it's little bro in .308 eventually.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List