Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we talk about the CZ 527 carbine?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    What kind of glass do you folks like for yours?

*edit to add* Oh, no, they also make the 527 with a full "Mannlicher Style Turkish Walnut Stock" about the same price.
    So tempting!
    Woof...something like that in 6.5 grendel would absolutely slay as an all purpose gun....and also it'd be a "barbecue rifle"

I'm assuming 6.5 is more expensive...by a lot, than X39?

I recently took my scope off the gun, but I had a Leupold 2.5-8 on there.

6.5 G is one of the least expensive premium factory rounds available, but is still more than the Ruski. I paid about $17 for 20 rds of Hornady match ammo, 123g Amax. Extremely accurate, and fine for deer.

Less than a buck a round for premium rifle rounds. Pretty damn good. Plinking ammo must be fairly affordable.

Does this still feed in the mags that come with the CZ?
    Last edited by newyork; 04-26-2016 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    What kind of glass do you folks like for yours?

*edit to add* Oh, no, they also make the 527 with a full "Mannlicher Style Turkish Walnut Stock" about the same price.
    So tempting!
    I saw that one too. I love the look of those and I wonder how they feel. My buddy hates that look.

The 527 carbine is a great little rifle. Here's a pair of Brockman rifles; top is a 7.62X39 scout with custom irons and an Aimpoint. This is my truck gun in CT. Accurate, easy to shoot, very durable with a super-strong Mauser-style true CRF action; if you want to spend most of your time blasting away at the range, or want to take a practical rifle course, the ammo cost won't kill you. No problem with short-range deer hunting. Bottom is a 6.5 Grendel with a 20" Walther barrel and a Leupold 3-9X. Sub-MOA at 400. The single-set triggers on these guns are just outstanding. Two issues; with a receiver mounted scope in the CZ rings, the factory bolt handle can have clearance issues with certain scopes. Easy enough to swap out the handle for a replacement like the one from Custom Reloading Tools, but I found the change in bolt handle length and shape to screw up the super-fast bolt throw of the factory unit. Better to select a scope with no interference. Second, the safety is the weakest part of this action. It is backwards from what I consider to be the standard: the Winchester Model 70. With the M70, or even the Remington 700, you take off the safety by pushing it forward with your thumb as you mount the rifle. The 527 must be pulled to the rear, which takes some getting used to. It is a 2-position safety and is a bit stiff, at least it has been on the 5 rifles I've owned. Nonetheless, the 527 carbine has a lot going for it.

Name:  527s - 1.jpg
Views: 2562
Size:  61.3 KB

How does one know which scope doesn't interfere?

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    How does one know which scope doesn't interfere?
    I have a Zeiss fixed 4 power and Leupold 2.5-8 on my two, and both are fine. 30mm and/or big bell, and interference is more likely. BTW, the pre-64 model 70 has the same issue, and modifications to the stock bolt handle have been unsatisfactory in my experience.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have a Zeiss fixed 4 power and Leupold 2.5-8 on my two, and both are fine. 30mm and/or big bell, and interference is more likely. BTW, the pre-64 model 70 has the same issue, and modifications to the stock bolt handle have been unsatisfactory in my experience.
    How's the cheek weld with your various setups? The 527 appears to have more drop than a typical American stock.

And along those lines, how is the cheek weld with the barrel-mounted optic in SteveB's post?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by SMD View Post
    How's the cheek weld with your various setups? The 527 appears to have more drop than a typical American stock.

And along those lines, how is the cheek weld with the barrel-mounted optic in SteveB's post?

Thanks in advance.
    For me, fine on all three.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List