Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we talk about the CZ 527 carbine?

I picked up a CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62 x 39 and a CZ 550 FS (full Mannilicher stock, iron sights) in .308.

The 527 is exceptionally accurate, and the 5 round steel magazines are reasonably inexpensive, at around $40 a pop. The current magazine followers are engraved stipulating that the same magazine works for both 7.62 x 39 and 6.5 Grendel. I've used Wolf poly coated steel and Tula steel ammunition so far; the Wolf is better in my opinion, and I plan on using Hornady's Black SST cartridges for hunting.

I'm keeping the 527 with iron sights, with the thought it'll be a brush gun (i.e., used for targets closer than 100 yards), while the 550 I scoped with a Leupold 3 x 9 Variable, using Warne Quick Detachable medium height rings; I've had it professionally boresighted, but haven't had a chance to fire and zero it yet-I'll probably zero at 200 yards. It can also be a "get out of Dodge" TEOWAWKI rifle for my wife.

My 527 is a 2015 production gun; the current ones (I believe since 2017) come with a fiber-optic front sight.

Both rifles come not only with a very nice out of the box triggerpull of around 5-6 lbs, but with a set trigger option; when the rifle is cocked, you push forward on the trigger, and it'll go off with a 1-2 lb pull. Seriously.

The CZ's offer old-world quality steel and components. To me, they are the contemporary rifles to what William Ruger had in mind with his original 77 series of bolt action rifles; accurate, reliable, durable and an incredible value. I had one of the older Ruger M77s (a .308 RSI, with the full Mannilicher stock) back in the 1990s; I think the CZ's are better rifles.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-29-2018 at 04:02 PM.

That is, the 527 Carbine can be the "get out of Dodge" rifle for my wife...

Best, Jon

I keep looking at 527s, both the Lux and Carbine. I have a pet project in mind: my favorite plinking rifle is a 452 Lux with the excellent factory sight. I want to make a custom mount for the 452/455 style rear sight leaf to replace the 527 rear blade so that I have an elevation adjustable rear.

This serves no practical purpose, but I want one. A Lux in 223 would be a fun and cheap rifle for 200/300/600 yard matches. A Carbine in x39 would be cooler, and maybe still fun to plink at 300.

I am going to grab one of these soon I think. I want a 7.62x39 one set up with an aim point I think.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I picked up a CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62 x 39 and a CZ 550 FS (full Mannilicher stock, iron sights) in .308.
    I owned a CZ 550 FS chambered for .30-06. It had an internal 5-round magazine whereas I believe the .308 has a removable box magazine. I had a fixed low-power scope on mine for a while, but ended up installing a ghost ring sight from NECG and I really liked that setup. I did feel that the 20" barrel was less than optimal for the .30-06 but it sure handled nice.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've been waffling about picking this up for weeks now. Current rationalization is I'd rather have an 1894C, even though it's more money.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod94643.aspx
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

J&G has them for $500 right now.

http://www.jgsales.com/--p-82132.html
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    J&G has them for $500 right now.

http://www.jgsales.com/--p-82132.html
    That's a FANTASTIC price for that rifle. I DO NOT need one!

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    That's a FANTASTIC price for that rifle. I DO NOT need one!
    I would order one but I fondled one at the store and I didn't like the iron sights or the way the rings attach. I'm still really tempted.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I would order one but I fondled one at the store and I didn't like the iron sights or the way the rings attach. I'm still really tempted.
    NECG makes their excellent peep/ghost ring sight for the CZ 527. Of course, if you want to mount an optical sight then it's a moot point.

User Tag List