Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we talk about the CZ 527 carbine?

Can we talk about the CZ 527 carbine?

I've been eyeing the 527 carbine for a while now. Things I like based on cursory reading of online reviews:
    -mag fed
    -has iron sights!
    -can get it in 223 or x39
    -light and maneuverable

Anybody have one? This would likely be my one and only bolt gun. Looking for something durable and accurate, but cheap enough to shoot on a somewhat regular basis (hence why I like that it comes in 223 or x39). I'm not a hunter, and know nothing about it. But deer hunting is certainly something I would like to learn in the future. I know either round is suitable if you have the right bullet. Would the 527 be a suitable deer rifle?

Those of you that have them: how are you liking them, how have you set yours up with scopes/slings, etc etc etc?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    I've been eyeing the 527 carbine for a while now. Things I like based on cursory reading of online reviews:
    -mag fed
    -has iron sights!
    -can get it in 223 or x39
    -light and maneuverable

Anybody have one? This would likely be my one and only bolt gun. Looking for something durable and accurate, but cheap enough to shoot on a somewhat regular basis (hence why I like that it comes in 223 or x39). I'm not a hunter, and know nothing about it. But deer hunting is certainly something I would like to learn in the future. I know either round is suitable if you have the right bullet. Would the 527 be a suitable deer rifle?

Those of you that have them: how are you liking them, how have you set yours up with scopes/slings, etc etc etc?
    I have a 527 in 7.62x39 with a 2-7x Nikon and a Andy Langolis Rhodesian sling. It is a great short range deer and hog gun. 7.62x39 hits similar to a 30-30 Winchester but it's a 300 yard round at best. If you are hunting an open area with long shots there are better choices caliber wise.

.223 can work for deer with heavier bullets but .22 center fires are not legal for deer hunting in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    .223 can work for deer with heavier bullets but .22 center fires are not legal for deer hunting in all states.
    This.

The 527 in 7.62x39 is essentially a bolt-action version of the 30-30 lever gun, with 50% more range. If you know your limitations and the cartridge's limitations, and if you work within them, then game regs are the only reason NOT to hunt deer with a 223.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I have the .223 version. They tend to be extremely accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I have a 527 in 7.62x39 with a 2-7x Nikon and a Andy Langolis Rhodesian sling. It is a great short range deer and hog gun. 7.62x39 hits similar to a 30-30 Winchester but it's a 300 yard round at best. If you are hunting an open area with long shots there are better choices caliber wise.

Thanks. I'm in the northeast, so close shots are the name of the game.

How is the recoil? Can I park this thing at the range and spend the day blasting steel in comfort? That's probably my #1 question, as I've got no frame of reference with either x39 or center-fire bolt guns in general.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Thanks. I'm in the northeast, so close shots are the name of the game.

How is the recoil? Can I park this thing at the range and spend the day blasting steel in comfort? That's probably my #1 question, as I've got no frame of reference with either x39 or center-fire bolt guns in general.
    I would say you should be fine with the .223 CZ if you can handle .22 long rifle in a 10-22.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would say you should be fine with the .223 CZ if you can handle .22 long rifle in a 10-22.
    What about the bone-crushing 7.62x39 in such a lightweight rifle?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

ive never shot that cartridge before!

The 7.62x39 version can be rebarreled in 6.5 Grendel. Walther has ready to install barrels iirc.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

In irrational part of my mind has been greatly tempted to procure the .223 version (since it's available in LH) and re-barrel into a .300 blk hunting/general purpose bolt gun.

User Tag List