Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are people better?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    Agreed. My point on ammo is that a guy in 1920 who was a serious gun carrier might only shoot 10 boxes of ammo (500 rounds ) a year due to the expense and they might have been considered an "expert pistol shooter". There are serious shooters now who might shoot that every week. I feel like I can probably guess who the better shooter is between the two..... Now, practice does not make perfect, it makes permanent. But assuming one learns the same skills, the one who has the ability to practice more has the advantage.
    Actually reloading was common back as far as the introduction of metallic cartridges. Progressive reloading presses were likely prohibitively expensive but there was no TV or internet to suck up time either.

1936 Sheriffs Range reloading video: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....eloading+video

Timers, performance tracking and training methodology are likely your biggest factors.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-08-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I def see people in USPSA getting better much quicker these days than in the past. There is an intense focus on training & practice and a cadre of professionals dedicated to master self-improvement.

Good read on the topic...
    Good article with a lot of practical implications. One thing not touched on in the article is that it seems like more young kids are getting dedicated into sports, arts, and competitive anything (for example, Tiger Woods).
    Last edited by Skeeter; 05-08-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    Shot a match today...people are definitely better...I am definitely worse

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Shot a match today...people are definitely better...I am definitely worse
    Matches are like Lake Wobegon, where all the shooters are above average...

Site Supporter
    Heh, seriously...Some very solid shooters in the Northern IL area...and I've not got the goods to hang...there are a few M class shooters who were shooting single stack division and they squadded with me....and with me tagging a few too many a no-shoot on the classifier...well yeah. I got skooled real hard.

Heh, seriously...Some very solid shooters in the Northern IL area...and I've not got the goods to hang...there are a few M class shooters who were shooting single stack division and they squadded with me....and with me tagging a few too many a no-shoot on the classifier...well yeah. I got skooled real hard.
    Where'd you shoot? NISA or Oak Park?

Squad with Cody and/or Mark Sorensen (aka the Viking?)

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Actually reloading was common back as far as the introduction of metallic cartridges. Progressive reloading presses were likely prohibitively expensive but there was no TV or internet to suck up time either.

1936 Sheriffs Range reloading video: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....eloading+video

Timers, performance tracking and training methodology are likely your biggest factors.
    I love that video - the scoring system they use is the same scoring system that USPSA uses: Points/Time.
    (I think that was intentionally brought over form the training--> Letherslaps --> USPSA)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Where'd you shoot? NISA or Oak Park?

Squad with Cody and/or Mark Sorensen (aka the Viking?)
    Oak Park, but I didn't run into Cody and I think Sorensen was elsewhere. I was squadded with John Smith. The match was a fairly straightforward one, nothing too crazy, but I bombed the classifier pretty bad lol

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Oak Park, but I didn't run into Cody and I think Sorensen was elsewhere. I was squadded with John Smith. The match was a fairly straightforward one, nothing too crazy, but I bombed the classifier pretty bad lol

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk
    Smith is a helluva shooter - he also has a hot rodded firebird! Total "engineer mindset guy" with a super dry sense of humor...

If I roll to OPSC, I'll hit you up, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Agree, but don't discount the big step up in the 80s that coincided with progressive press availability. With regards to reloading at home always being common, "Common" is not the word I'd use....at least it was not anywhere near as common then as it is now. While there were reloading tools available they were single stage presses and few regular people actually reloaded. Star made a progressive press but they were marketed to police departments not really to individuals and they were expensive. Reloading as a hobby for the common man didn't really take off until after WWII. The progressive press for the masses didn't really come along until the late 70s. Someone mentioned Dillon....there you go. With the action sports like IPSC coming on in the 70s the ability to reload hundreds of rounds an hour was a boon to competitors who were now practicing more in order to cut split times and shoot at the ragged edge of human ability....not just bullseye shooting with time limits that could be measured with a sun dial .

Look at the ammo prices in the 1980s and you see why reloading was a big deal. Actually if you go back and look at old gun magazine articles the prices we are paying now in 2016 (that people complain about because it is up from the artificially low prices driven by a glut of surplus ammo of the early 2000s) is about the same or a little less than it was 30 years ago...and people made less $$$ back then. So the competitors who had the ability to reload had a huge advantage in availability of practice ammo to the guy paying $18 a box for .45 auto at the store. And there was no internet to help search for lowest pricing....you paid what the local store priced it at. But the progressive press changed that. Add not only more ammo available to practice with, but also the ability to actually time it yourself (timer) and measure empirical data (and then later the ability to video it yourself and make corrections) it is no wonder that the shooting world took a great leap forward starting about 35 years ago.....

User Tag List