Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith m10

Site Supporter
    I think what is most offensive here is the idea that women would be offended by an insult directed towards a female politician just because they both happen to be female, rather than giving actual thought to whether that politician's plans are good for them, their families, women in general, or this country.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I think what is most offensive here is the idea that women would be offended by an insult directed towards a female politician just because they both happen to be female, rather than giving actual thought to whether that politician's plans are good for them, their families, women in general, or this country.
    The word "cunt" is inarguably and specifically disparaging against the female sex, just like the N word is specifically disparaging of being black and no other quality. Calling Hillary Clinton a cunt is an insult that is specific to her as a female and it disparages her with misogynist stereotypes, just as using the N word to describe our current President would be be a racist insult that disparages him for his race and no other quality.

Many of us do not have a favorable opinion of the President, but I suspect most would agree that using the N word to describe him would be racist and highly inappropriate (particularly in a public forum that prides itself on its professionalism). I don't think it's a stretch to use the same logic with language like "cunt" and "faggot." It is a free country and you can feel free to disagree, but bear in mind that of being offended at someone's offense (vs. trying to understand it) is usually not a good way to arrive at a mutual understanding.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 04-27-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Nice. That grip adapter is either a Pachmayr or a Mershon, correct?
    I have been searching junk boxes at gun shows and LGS looking for one of these or a Tyler T grip for a square butt K-frame.
    Yes, Pachmayr. It had a set of Pachmayr rubber grips when I got it in a deal with some other stuff. I found the grip adapter and the stocks in my junk box. I don't know what kind of stocks they are. Maybe Jay Scott. According to the serial number it is a 1920's vintage S&W M&P.

Until recently this was my duty weapon (mission driver gear, gun ports and all that). I used the oldest revolver to show my students it's not the tool but the operator that counts.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Site Supporter
    So if we can't call Hilary the "C-word", what can we call her? How about "Deserving Federal Inmate"? Or does that butt hurt folks here, too??
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

If anyone wants to call me a fucking moron for selling my M&Ps (4" 1941 and 2" 1950 vintage) go right ahead.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    "Clinton" is the most offensive c-word that you can call anyone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    The word "cunt" is inarguably and specifically disparaging against the female sex, just like the N word is specifically disparaging of being black and no other quality. Calling Hillary Clinton a cunt is an insult that is specific to her as a female and it disparages her with misogynist stereotypes, just as using the N word to describe our current President would be be a racist insult that disparages him for his race and no other quality.

Many of us do not have a favorable opinion of the President, but I suspect most would agree that using the N word to describe him would be racist and highly inappropriate (particularly in a public forum that prides itself on its professionalism). I don't think it's a stretch to use the same logic with language like "cunt" and "faggot." It is a free country and you can feel free to disagree, but bear in mind that of being offended at someone's offense (vs. trying to understand it) is usually not a good way to arrive at a mutual understanding.
    So the next time someone calls me a "d***," I should point out that they are inarguably and specifically disparaging the male sex?

If you think I was claiming offense, you completely missed my point. If the post in question had called the term "inappropriate," I would have agreed. I take issue with the idea that women, in general, would be offended by an insult directed at a female public figure, just on the basis of gender. I give women credit for being able to look at Hillary's accomplishments (does she even have any?) and plans for this country, and decide on that basis whether they will align with her.

Oh my gosh! All the language. I have been triggered. I must find my safe place.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    So the next time someone calls me a "d***," I should point out that they are inarguably and specifically disparaging the male sex?

If you think I was claiming offense, you completely missed my point. If the post in question had called the term "inappropriate," I would have agreed. I take issue with the idea that women, in general, would be offended by an insult directed at a female public figure, just on the basis of gender. I give women credit for being able to look at Hillary's accomplishments (does she even have any?) and plans for this country, and decide on that basis whether they will align with her.
    The issue is with using the word 'cunt' itself. It is a derogatory term that is generally accepted to be extremely sexist in nature. Do you think that a black person would or should be offended if you called Obama the N word? Would and should a Jew offended if you called Bernie Sanders a kike?

Political disagreement is one thing, but racial/religious/sexist/homophobic animus is another. The distinction is important. How you feel about when it is appropriate to use these terms is your choice, but I certainly wouldn't be bewildered if someone finds them offensive. That's my 0.02USD.

Let's get back to talking about revolvers instead of bitching and moaning like queens
    Last edited by Nephrology; 04-27-2016 at 02:28 PM.

User Tag List