Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith m10

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    This is what probably the majority of us need. Unfortunately, finding first rate revolver gunsmiths (or any first rate gunsmiths) has become extremely difficult.
    Ayuh. Most of the local "gunsmiths" I've dealt with have had some combination of ineptitude or poor communications skills.

Finding people who really can wrench on a gun is getting harder. We've got a guy down the road who installs aftermarket parts on AR-15's, Glocks and 10/22's mostly. He "doesn't have time to work on revolvers."

I've resolved if there is something I can't do myself, I'll just send to to somebody like Cylinder and Slide, or another known quantity like that, and eat the price and wait time.

Gorgeous Model 10.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Oh. I thought maybe it was an Aussie police trade-in.

(You do know that you can fix that, right?)
    Actually, I didn't. The iPhone and I are kind of new friends. And sometimes it's a different kind of relationship.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Actually, I didn't. The iPhone and I are kind of new friends. And sometimes it's a different kind of relationship.
    Tap on the photo to open it, then in the upper right corner tap on "edit". You can then rotate, resize, and do some other things to it. If you have an iPhone 7, you can probably do more to it than I can with my old iPhone 4.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I've resolved if there is something I can't do myself, I'll just send to to somebody like Cylinder and Slide, or another known quantity like that, and eat the price and wait time.
    Their wait time, according to their website, is a year.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Tap on the photo to open it, then in the upper right corner tap on "edit". You can then rotate, resize, and do some other things to it. If you have an iPhone 7, you can probably do more to it than I can with my old iPhone 4.
    Thanks--I didn't know that either. Maybe we ought to have a thread here about computers and phone for idiots (like me).

Originally Posted by Lester Polfus
    Their wait time, according to their website, is a year.
    Should have added that C&S's currently $323 for the barrel shortening job.

There are plenty of folks: some good, some okay, some questionable... to play with. There are, of course, some "mechanics" who actually can fix/reset messed up guns that are looked at genuine-needed repair guns. :-)

I was very pleased with the chop and front sight job Hatari Firearms did on my 67. Turn around time was a month. They also recontoured the barrel and bead blasted the finish. They don't have a website but they are on the book of faces.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I've always admired Model 10's, but recent experience made me appreciate them even more.

My father passed away about 6 years ago. Dad had a few handguns, but never had one that Mom was willing to shoot more than once.

Mom told me she was concerned about living in the house alone, without having a firearm she was comfortable with. My plan was to take her out gun shopping, but I ran across an amazing deal on an S&W 10-5 skinny barrel that had never been fired. I bought the 10-5 to see if she'd like it (hoping she wouldn't, because it would've made a fine addition to my collection). I put big Hogue monogrips on it, took Mom to the range, and she loved it instantly.

Since then, I take Mom to the range about once a month with her S&W 10-5 and a big pile of handloaded 158 grain semi-wadcutters. She's gotten pretty good with that revolver, and will easily put every shot into a 6 - 8 inch circle, firing double action at a reasonable cadence. She loves going to the range and shooting the Model 10. I supply the ammo and clean it for her after shooting.

The experience showed me what great revolvers those Model 10's are, and why they were so popular as police guns. They are very easy to shoot well, and very easy to teach a novice how to fire, load, unload, etc. With just a little bit of practice, one can become very proficient with them.

Now I just have to find ANOTHER Model 10 for myself . . .
    Ordinary guy

That's a nice thing to do for your mom, and fun besides.

User Tag List