Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith m10

I bought this last summer from a guy who originally had the work done in 1977. When I told him my interest in shooting PPC for fun and practice we started a friendship by email. He ended up selling it to me for what the gunsmithing cost him in 1977. I offered him more, but he was happy that someone would go out and enjoy what he used to. I still talk to him two or three times a week.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  37.2 KB

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    The one place I did not anticipate appeals to political correctness...reminds you to never get complacent in your expectations. If people want to be offended, they will find a way to take offense.
    The cry of "political correctness", to me, has seemed more and more a complaint about being called out for one's being rude and boorish. And, to my mind, a mixture of other things, which I probably shouldn't get into. If the goal is to influence people, throwing verbal rocks not only doesn't advance arguments, it's pretty counterproductive.

But I'm done. I've got other things going on in meatspace that are requiring my attention. At the moment, the ditherings of the American political game are a distraction that I can ill afford (and that I can do nothing about).
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers: I don't own a Model 10 (got a M12, though) but have or have had or have used an assortment of adjustable sight K Smiths. I find the "hog wallow" of the M10 to be hard to pick up and need the bigger adjustables for accuracy. (The M12 is a coat pocket gun unlikely to be shot at any great distance.)
    I wish there was a high profile fixed sight that did not cost more than adjustables. That would improve the aim with nothing to come loose. I have seen Golden Years Smiths with such sights but they are hard to come by now.

Language:
    "The word "cunt" is inarguably and specifically disparaging against the female sex, just like the N word is specifically disparaging of being black"
    The use of "cunt" and "N word" in the same sentence says a lot about the state of modern society. Nothing good. If you are going to be gender or racially insulting, cut loose and say what you mean. Or be nice throughout.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The cry of "political correctness", to me, has seemed more and more a complaint about being called out for one's being rude and boorish. And, to my mind, a mixture of other things, which I probably shouldn't get into. If the goal is to influence people, throwing verbal rocks not only doesn't advance arguments, it's pretty counterproductive.

But I'm done. I've got other things going on in meatspace that are requiring my attention. At the moment, the ditherings of the American political game are a distraction that I can ill afford (and that I can do nothing about).
    No.

Political correctness is a way to shut up people who hold conservative viewpoints by claiming that they are "offensive."

As I posted earlier, had you claimed that the use of the term was inappropriate, I would have agreed. I also would have agreed with "inarticulate," or in general a poor choice of words for making one's point.

Where I disagree is the idea that an insult directed towards a liberal female politician would be offensive to all women based on nothing more than having a common gender. That is political correctness.

Regardless of whatever else we may agree or disagree on politically, hopefully if you are participating on a shooting forum you understand that this politician will use every chance she gets to take away your second amendment rights. I submit that these actions are not good for women for reasons I hopefully don't need to explain here, which is why I am so surprised to find it claimed that the insult was offensive to women in general.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Just a thought:

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    The word "cunt" is inarguably and specifically disparaging against the female sex
    I'm pretty sure the last person I called, or thought of as, a cunt - was a bloke.

And I didn't mean that he was in some way feminine, either. Just, you know, an utter twat. A pillock. Arsehole. You get my drift...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Revolvers: I don't own a Model 10 (got a M12, though) but have or have had or have used an assortment of adjustable sight K Smiths. I find the "hog wallow" of the M10 to be hard to pick up and need the bigger adjustables for accuracy. (The M12 is a coat pocket gun unlikely to be shot at any great distance.)
    I wish there was a high profile fixed sight that did not cost more than adjustables. That would improve the aim with nothing to come loose. I have seen Golden Years Smiths with such sights but they are hard to come by now.

Language:

The use of "cunt" and "N word" in the same sentence says a lot about the state of modern society. Nothing good. If you are going to be gender or racially insulting, cut loose and say what you mean. Or be nice throughout.
    I have shot a model 64 HB at some length and found the fixed sights were probably not what was keeping me from sucking. I haven't run an adjustable sight version in some time, but I suspect it only gets better with better sights...there are after all, whole threads dedicated to the right set of sights. Whatever did we do before the novak dovetail?

As for the language part, I tend to try to be nice throughout...even with all that stuff about "alpha body language" and whatnot, I think that it's better to be seen as at best a friend, and at worst, as no threat whatsoever and so if it comes to violence, you can watch your opponent sail in like he's king of the world...and then watch him sail out on a stretcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Rude and boorish? I'll give you that. And (my remarks) also 100% true.

What other things? Sounds to me like you've contracted the "over-thinking it" disease.

You think I'm trying to influence people??? What a hoot. I could not give a fat rat's… posterior… what anybody else thinks about me or whatever. I was just making a comment.

I hope things are well with you otherwise.

FWIW, I read Stephanie B's comments as she was trying to be helpful by pointing out that one of the issues in trying to get women to join in the support of the 2A cause is that while most agree with the concept of the firearm as an equalizer many also do not care for the old boys club attitude or in this case some of the language which can be interpreted as misogynistic because it is. In my experience, most women also understand that most men are obstinate by nature and we are not prone to change our ways, but some feel they must try for the good of the cause. I am often amazed at the charity of the female of the species.

I read it as it just not being really within the bounds of polite discourse to stoop to name calling. Probably especially when there are so many specific and articulable reasons to not be a fan of HRC? I don't know Hillary personally, and I don't dislike her personally, I think she has bad policy ideas founded on unsound assumptions... Well, you all get my drift.
    Last edited by TDA; 04-29-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Thank you
    Bill

User Tag List