Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith m10

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Where I disagree is the idea that an insult directed towards a liberal female politician would be offensive to all women based on nothing more than having a common gender. That is political correctness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the last person I called, or thought of as, a cunt - was a bloke.

And I didn't mean that he was in some way feminine, either. Just, you know, an utter twat.
    In the United States, "The 'C' Word" is particularly offensive to women, in a visceral manner that, IME, goes beyond the use of other slurs used about or towards ethnic, religious, or social groups.

I don't know why. I don't know at what point in the education of a girl or woman they develop value that this one word is unforgivable. All I know is that at one point in my Army career we were discussing a particularly loathed NCO and used the word, and the topic of conversation immediately turned to whether SSG Drang should be beaten to death. (Slight exaggeration.)

This is what comes of serving in a branch with a high percentage of females soldier: I had no idea to that point this attitude existed, and I doubt I would to this day if I had been, say, an 11B. It is also instructive to watch BBC America and see what they can get away with saying on air. (Although I have stopped doing so regularly, since Top Gear ended.)

As atonement for my contribution to the thread drift/digression, here's a pic of my Smiths. I thought I had more of just the Model 10, which is my father's retirement piece, but if so, the internet ate them.
    Name:  Family Snapshot.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  4.4 KB
    Last edited by Drang; 05-02-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

No.

Political correctness is a way to shut up people who hold conservative viewpoints by claiming that they are "offensive."

As I posted earlier, had you claimed that the use of the term was inappropriate, I would have agreed. I also would have agreed with "inarticulate," or in general a poor choice of words for making one's point.

Where I disagree is the idea that an insult directed towards a liberal female politician would be offensive to all women based on nothing more than having a common gender. That is political correctness.

Regardless of whatever else we may agree or disagree on politically, hopefully if you are participating on a shooting forum you understand that this politician will use every chance she gets to take away your second amendment rights. I submit that these actions are not good for women for reasons I hopefully don't need to explain here, which is why I am so surprised to find it claimed that the insult was offensive to women in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    In the United States, "The 'C' Word" is particularly offensive to women, in a visceral manner that, IME, goes beyond the use of other slurs used about or towards ethnic, religious, or social groups.
    As a data point, my wife finds this word to be a highly offensive slur. She also fervently believes that some women have gone out of their way to earn the title, and that Hillary is probably on the top of that list.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Good grief. It's a flippin' word. Get over it. I've had all kinds of epithets cast at me over the years. None cause blood loss, seizures, or life threatening trauma. Is this what this society has come to? Call someone a nasty name and its the equivolent of assault? Spend some time in parts of the world where REAL violence and aggresson is commonplace and then tell me how important a word is.

I stop by here to read about firearms and training.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Good grief. It's a flippin' word. Get over it. I've had all kinds of epithets cast at me over the years. None cause blood loss, seizures, or life threatening trauma. Is this what this society has come to? Call someone a nasty name and its the equivolent of assault? Spend some time in parts of the world where REAL violence and aggresson is commonplace and then tell me how important a word is.
    Thank you.

Last edited by LSP972; 05-05-2016 at 10:34 AM.

is it safe to come out....?

A few new additions in the last couple of months. Both are model 10-7's from different GB sellers. The 2" has original stocks and will go on once my tyler t grip comes in. the 3" might get the same treatment, but I need to shoot the damn thing first.

"I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

I had the day off and a babysitter so I went to the range. After doing some training I shot some pistols for fun. One was my pre model 10. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  82.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan127 View Post
    I had the day off and a babysitter so I went to the range. After doing some training I shot some pistols for fun. One was my pre model 10. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  82.4 KB
    M & P? Love the early hammer spur on those. There was a refinned-but-solid C.1912 example here that is missed.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post

A few new additions in the last couple of months. Both are model 10-7's from different GB sellers. The 2" has original stocks and will go on once my tyler t grip comes in. the 3" might get the same treatment, but I need to shoot the damn thing first.

For Pete's sake, man… get rid of those steenkin' Goodyears and put some proper wood on those beauties!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post

I am almost certainly in the minority here, but I like the rubber grips as much or more than any wood grips you could find for those guns (or most revolvers).

Site Supporter
    I am almost certainly in the minority here, but I like the rubber grips as much or more than any wood grips you could find for those guns (or most revolvers).
    I like the way wood looks on them, but very rarely find a wood grip I enjoy shooting one with as much as a good rubber grip.

User Tag List