Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Brazilian jiu jitsu or Krav Maga

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Good points, I suppose it does depend on the individual and how they deal with the physical stress.

After a few years of gi training I found myself doing deadlifts, rope pull-ups and CoC grippers simultaneously.

I remember my fingers killing though when I first started in the gi.

My knees on the other hand.. heavy doses of squats, running on pavement and wrestling were the recipe for years. Eventually the pot boils over.

Yup.

I was a purple belt and was rolling with a regular training partner ( Mike Simpson - who BTW, wrote a terric and funny book partially about his BJJ experiences https://www.amazon.com/Bruises-Divor...ichael+simpson) and tried to pull off a simple scissor sweep. Mike defended by putting a bit of weight on my top knee (not really all that much weight either) and RIPPPPPP, I felt and heard a sound like canvas tearing. Then the pain hit, and my leg was locked in a 3/4 extension position. 80% of the meniscus had torn and parts of it rolled under my kneecap. Surgery and rehab followed.

The knee injury had almost nothing to do with BJJ - it was the previous 28 years of martial arts training (done with a lot of ignorance in how to do it properly and protect my body). We can make a lot of credit card purchases on our body over time, but if we are not careful, eventually we have to pay off the debt.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Yup.

I was a purple belt and was rolling with a regular training partner ( Mike Simpson - who BTW, wrote a terric and funny book partially about his BJJ experiences https://www.amazon.com/Bruises-Divor...ichael+simpson) and tried to pull off a simple scissor sweep. Mike defended by putting a bit of weight on my top knee (not really all that much weight either) and RIPPPPPP, I felt and heard a sound like canvas tearing. Then the pain hit, and my leg was locked in a 3/4 extension position. 80% of the meniscus had torn and parts of it rolled under my kneecap. Surgery and rehab followed.

The knee injury had almost nothing to do with BJJ - it was the previous 28 years of martial arts training (done with a lot of ignorance in how to do it properly and protect my body). We can make a lot of credit card purchases on our body over time, but if we are not careful, eventually we have to pay off the debt.
    Oh shit...scissor sweep is my go to sweep too. :O

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BES View Post
    This is something I'm passionate about. I've trained in both in addition to a number of other martial arts so I'll try to give you some good insight. I put a lot of time into Krav Maga before I left it and started training Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu. I'm going to try and make this as short as possible. Do you want to be able to perform in a fight or altercation or look like you can? That's what it comes down to. You will never get on a mat or in a ring with someone with Krav Maga and go face to face. This is one of the biggest problems with martial arts, too much shyness towards going hands on with someone and actually FIGHTING with an over emphasis on techniques and drills. BJJ is one of the few arts where you're actually going to roll and fight someone, daily. I can't express to you the mental hardness that builds in someone. You're ability to remain calm and manage your adrenaline in a fight and THINK is critical.. BJJ will teach you this on a daily basis as you learn skills and actually roll with someone. Much like shooting the mindset thing is something that a lot of people over look and IMO, from the wisdom of some really great instructors, it is truly one of the most important things. Yes the techniques are important and you will learn many but the ability to think and execute while getting tossed around or choked can't be taught by any drill or form. That being said, BJJ is not the end all be all. If you do it, try to match it with some good standup training and you will become very well rounded. Most good BJJ gyms offer a night of standup/striking training.
    You wrote this incorrect statement: " You will never get on a mat or in a ring with someone with Krav Maga and go face to face." That is not true at Worldwide Krav Maga. Our training center includes Fight classes and higher levels train weekly with both one on one and multiple adversaries. We also do actual fighting and including ground fighting (grappling). We also include a lot of weapons disarms and choke defenses. So, while there may be some Krav Maga centers who do not do fighting, we do. We also have a Jiu Jitsu program the complements the Krav program, or the other way around if you like. To me the real value of Jiu Jitsu is gaining dominance over an adversary quickly when on the ground. The real value of Krav Maga is the weapons disarms, choke defenses and close quarter combat while upright. I see them as complementary. Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

The scissor sweep hates me.

But much like the unrequited love I've had all my life for Elle McPherson I'm too stupid to give up on it

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    The scissor sweep hates me.

But much like the unrequited love I've had all my life for Elle McPherson I'm too stupid to give up on it
    Forget about the scissor sweep. It ain't cool now unless you go inverted, berimbolo or bust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I abandoned the scissor sweep once I gained more experience. I felt there were higher percentage sweeps that didn't give up as much space. Unless you're completely caught off guard it seems easy to stack the top knee and pass. If I give up space I go to butterfly or scramble and work from there.

Then again, once I transitioned to MMA I only spent about 1/4 of my time in a gi so scrambling was easier to accomplish and my brain said get out from underneath your opponent asap. Guard isn't a place to hang out in a fist fight.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    To me the real value of Jiu Jitsu is gaining dominance over an adversary quickly when on the ground. The real value of Krav Maga is the weapons disarms, choke defenses and close quarter combat while upright. I see them as complementary. Cody
    I think this short sells jiu jitsu. While things will end up on the ground it is better stated to say that we want to end up on the ground on our terms, not the opponents. We have more techniques available to us on the ground, that's why we go there. That's not to say that it needs to go there. Much of the horizontal grappling we do in BJJ immediately translates to standing. It's probably more fair to just call it grappling and allow the different types of grappling to define the rules.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I abandoned the scissor sweep once I gained more experience. I felt there were higher percentage sweeps that didn't give up as much space. Unless you're completely caught off guard it seems easy to stack the top knee and pass. If I give up space I go to butterfly or scramble and work from there.

Then again, once I transitioned to MMA I only spent about 1/4 of my time in a gi so scrambling was easier to accomplish and my brain said get out from underneath your opponent asap. Guard isn't a place to hang out in a fist fight.
    I love the scissor sweep. I don't follow your comment about giving up space. Your hips are connected tightly to them and your posture control arm has to stay tight to their upper body which means your body stays close. And opponents should not be able to stack on your knee because of the driving pressure with it.

And no position is a place to hang out in a fist fight - top or bottom.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

I love the scissor sweep. I don't follow your comment about giving up space. Your hips are connected tightly to them and your posture control arm has to stay tight to their upper body which means your body stays close. And opponents should not be able to stack on your knee because of the driving pressure with it.

I'm with Cecil. I'm not following the space comment. I need that connection to my top leg to help make his base light. The deeper I can go under someone, in general, the easier it is to hit my sweep. I bait guys to stack the top leg or try to weave my legs when I'm setting that sweep. It gives me their weight and they bust their base for me.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Interesting, do you find this to be the case without a gi as well? I've found a good base and crushing pressure on the top knee defends it pretty well. Not to mention if sparring in MMA and you can strike to the face..

I was speaking in terms of MMA where a top position is certainly a good place to be, not the street.

User Tag List