Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Brazilian jiu jitsu or Krav Maga

Sport vs. Street, 2016

Name:  Wise words by Keenan - Imgur.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  50.8 KB
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

That's pretty sweet. Rickson is coming to do a seminar up this way next month but I'm too poor to go. Sucks too, just watched Choke with my son for the first time and I think he's starstruck.

Have fun at the seminar!

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Cecil thanks for your comments. When I asked about this two days ago I knew very little of either but just all the comments have encouraged me to do more research( listened to your interview on ballistic radio on my flight today). The big takeaway is the bjj is a fantastic place to start and to broaden my skills with exploring other disciplines to compliment and add to those. Everyone's input has been very valuable (as always with this forum). I hope to get with a gym in the next week and really hope I can get my boys involved. They both earned their black belts at 8 years old in taekwondo (laughing as I write this, they couldn't do one form today, that was a bit of a money hole).

Anyway great stuff and hope to get to your class this fall in Dallas.
    I think you'll enjoy it. Take it all in and learn because learning is really what you're there for. Don't mind the comp versus street thing that a lot of people bring up. After you get grounded in it, you'll start figuring out what options you have in different situations. Being a good fighter takes a lot of thinking. And in order to get your mind working on solutions while you're under pressure, you need someone or eventually a number of someones to show you alternatives and you'll need some experience doing it. There really is no substitution for experience. Eventually do move on to a striking art. A good system and trainer will work all aspects of standup including standing grappling and dirty boxing. There's overlap among the arts as well and there are valuable things to learn in many places. Finally, there are no guarantees. Fights have a life of their own. X move won't work 100% of the time. Again, being able to think and adjust under pressure and when injured is beyond valuable.

Hope your kids get involved in it as well. If they started in TKD, they should be really good kickers and BJJ will add to their skill set.

Enjoy and check back in periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    This seems like as good a thread as any to post this, since I'm pretty excited about it. Later this week, I'll get to do another seminar with Royce Gracie. Did one in the 96, 97 time frame once before. Looking forward to it, but I'm not going to go easy on him this time:-)
    Ironically, Royce signed and promoted my white, blue and purple belts.

Have fun, my team and gym were affiliated with him when I was fighting. He's a friend of a friend.. Oh and if you wanted to strike up a conversation, he's really into firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Ironically, Royce signed and promoted my white, blue and purple belts.

Have fun, my team and gym were affiliated with him when I was fighting. He's a friend of a friend.. Oh and if you wanted to strike up a conversation, he's really into firearms.
    We will actually be going shooting after the seminar...if my Rex Kwon Do doesn't hurt him too badly. Last time we trained, I used the drunken fish technique, and it really got inside his SPOODA loop. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    We will actually be going shooting after the seminar...if my Rex Kwon Do doesn't hurt him too badly. Last time we trained, I used the drunken fish technique, and it really got inside his SPOODA loop. :-)
    I am not aware of that technique.. I just punched him in the bawls like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=57Mva-3n7TY

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I am not aware of that technique.. I just punched him in the bawls like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=57Mva-3n7TY
    You must not train very much then. I prefer not to touch other men in their pink underwear. What is the sound of clapping? When you can answer this, you will know the drunken fish. Only then will you become the Dragon Warrior.

:-)

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Protect your hands!

For those looking to get into BJJ, look at articles on how to avoid hand injuries. I just gave myself a mallet finger on my dominant hand ring finger. I was tightly gripping my partner's gi sleeve on the outside when he pulled away quickly. Learned the hard way on how gripping the gi (even when done properly) can lead to injuries. I read Keenan Cornelius can't even make a fist because his hands are so messed up!

Now I have to shoot with my support hand for a while and likely will have to miss at least a week on the mats. Don't be like me.
    Last edited by Backspin; 04-26-2016 at 11:10 PM.

"I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

User Tag List