Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Brazilian jiu jitsu or Krav Maga

Update!! I went and took my first bjj class today. So when posed my original question I had pretty much no clue on either martial art. I knew very little of bjj other than watching some mma,but in general, not much. So today signed up for a free class from a local gracie bjj academy that is near my house. Had know idea what to expect but wasn't bad at all. Every one was very welcoming and helpful. Basically went through some warm ups and the instructor showed varies moves that we would practice them on each other and then on to the next. Pretty fun actually but it was a little challenging as things move pretty fast but my partner who worked with me was patient and good in helping me understand the moves. Man do I have a very long way to go, but as mentioned I enjoyed it.

So is that how most work? Work on moves and then practice with each other? Obviously this was a basic fundamentals course, after it was over they had a more advanced class and immediately jumped into to more technical stuff

The instructor was very nice and didn't at all push any membership, basically offered to come to another class and if I still liked it would answer any questions for me. So I will be going back and very likely joining. They seemed to have a nice set up that you pay monthly and if you decide not to go anymore you don't. Pretty easy.

So thanks to all for the good information, if not for all the quality comments and suggestions, I wouldn't have taken the next step so thanks.

Good on you, I hope you enjoy it. Even if you dont, you will get something out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Update!! I went and took my first bjj class today. So when posed my original question I had pretty much no clue on either martial art. I knew very little of bjj other than watching some mma,but in general, not much. So today signed up for a free class from a local gracie bjj academy that is near my house. Had know idea what to expect but wasn't bad at all. Every one was very welcoming and helpful. Basically went through some warm ups and the instructor showed varies moves that we would practice them on each other and then on to the next. Pretty fun actually but it was a little challenging as things move pretty fast but my partner who worked with me was patient and good in helping me understand the moves. Man do I have a very long way to go, but as mentioned I enjoyed it.

So is that how most work? Work on moves and then practice with each other? Obviously this was a basic fundamentals course, after it was over they had a more advanced class and immediately jumped into to more technical stuff

The instructor was very nice and didn't at all push any membership, basically offered to come to another class and if I still liked it would answer any questions for me. So I will be going back and very likely joining. They seemed to have a nice set up that you pay monthly and if you decide not to go anymore you don't. Pretty easy.

So thanks to all for the good information, if not for all the quality comments and suggestions, I wouldn't have taken the next step so thanks.
    I'm glad you took the leap and tried it. Most classes are generally run like that, starting with technique instruction followed by sparring. BJJ is known for having a more relaxed atmosphere than "traditional" martial arts and you will find that many will want to help you. Good luck!

Dismas316:

Typically - Warm-up > Stretch > Techniques > Drills > Rolling (Sparring)

Like everything else, 90% of it is in the fundamentals. When I competed in BJJ and MMA most fights ending in submission were with a basic choke (rear naked, triangle, guillotine), arm bar or heel hook. Very, very....very few ended with a flashy submission.

Feeling your opponent's weight, how he is leaning, whether he has over hooks or under hooks, etc. All of this is what matters in BJJ.

Position before submission should be your mindset. This translates into self defense as well. With positional dominance you will not be seriously injured and can dictate how the fight ends.

You'll learn there are certain positions where you can be submitted from and others you cannot. Prime examples would be when a guy grabs you in a headlock and squeezes as hard as possible. It might be uncomfortable until his arms tire, but with a proper defense most positions are a no-go for applying an actual choke that will render you unconscious. It just makes people freak out when they don't understand what's going on.

My advice was a little scrambled because I'm typing random thoughts as they come to mind. Good luck, stay humble and if you can go 3-4 times per week. It really helps to stay consistently active, especially in the beginning.

So this is an ancient thread resurrection, but I want to brag in context.

Got my blue belt under Robin Gieseler out of Relson Gracie Columbus today. I started training 15 months ago almost to the day. I know I'm no better than I was yesterday, but man it feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post

Got my blue belt under Robin Gieseler out of Relson Gracie Columbus today. I started training 15 months ago almost to the day. I know I'm no better than I was yesterday, but man it feels good.
    Congrats!! That's awesome. Great accomplishment.

Fuck yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Congrats! That is excellent. I have no similar brag myself, but I did just get back 30 minutes ago from a seminar with Walter Cascao (my teacher's coach). My wrist lock game: it is instantly moar betta'. There is a time and place for everything.

Holy cow that's fast! That's a lot of work crammed into a little over a year, congrats!!
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    Holy cow that's fast! That's a lot of work crammed into a little over a year, congrats!!
    For real...I've been working at getting my two stripes for at least that long...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List