Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Brazilian jiu jitsu or Krav Maga

Brazilian jiu jitsu or Krav Maga

Hi all, wanted to get some input, thinking about taking bjj or km for self defense and was curious as to what you all think would be best. I have talked to some mma gyms and other training facilities and was surprised to hear many of them think krav maga is not legit at all and some think its a joke. (I have no idea and hadn't heard that before) part of me thinks it's them ragging on competition but again, don't know. I am a bit older but in good shape and like the lifestyle of being in shape and learning good self defense fighting techniques.

There are a bjj and a km facility that are fairly close to me so would be convenient for me to train. I know BJJ is very legit and many mma fighters have backgrounds in that so it seems like it would be pretty good sd training. But I hear a good bit about km but mainly on the internet. (it must be true). It seems like it's pretty specific to many weapons self defense techniques, and would be fun to learn, just don't know a lot about it.

Anyway anyone have words of wisdom with regard to these forms of self defense?
    Last edited by Dismas316; 04-24-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    You're opening a can of worms. I don't think Krav is a joke, as some of their techniques do actually work. But I think you are far and away better off with a supportive MMA gym.

And it's not true that "many MMA fighters have backgrounds" in BJJ. All of them do. You can't get by without it in the pro fight world.

I would recommend you take some free classes at an MMA gym, for starters. See what the attitude there is, and how they treat you (very important; some places are basically haze fests). Sample elsewhere if it's not for you. No one style will solve every problem, so variety is definitely a good thing.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

When I asked a similar question, the answer I got was basically that it's relatively speaking easier to find a vetted and reputable BJJ gym, and a bit harder when it comes to krav or MMA. I'm new to BJJ and not an expert on any martial arts or combat sports, so take my advice with a grain of salt...

Bjj hands down. If the bjj gym has an MMA curriculum, that's definitely a bonus.

Bjj will actually allow you to pressure test the techniques against resisting opponents. It'll also teach you to keep calm when in horrible positions, and find another level you didn't think you had. Not many martial arts offers that.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    When I asked a similar question, the answer I got was basically that it's relatively speaking easier to find a vetted and reputable BJJ gym, and a bit harder when it comes to krav or MMA. I'm new to BJJ and not an expert on any martial arts or combat sports, so take my advice with a grain of salt...
    I'd agree with this. I wouldn't say krav maga is a bunch of BS, but it does seem to have more kooks than bjj.

Most BJJ gyms have at least some people that compete and that tends to keep them a little more grounded in reality. If both gyms are close I'd visit each one and then go with the one that your gut tells you.

Purely instructor dependent.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

With BJJ there is no bullshit and no guesswork as to what works or doesn't. Live training against a resisting opponent is a crucial part of the art, there's no faking it. You're not plucking eyes out, kicking groins, and saying "now if you were a real bad guy..."
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

BJJ. It's incredibly useful. Just make sure that you are training takedowns and takedown defense. There are guys who are death stalkers once it's on the ground but relatively helpless at getting it there.

I feel like a solid blue belt is about like Expert class in IDPA. In the realm of what's possible, you're not that great but compared to the average person you're a frickin badass.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    With BJJ there is no bullshit and no guesswork as to what works or doesn't. Live training against a resisting opponent is a crucial part of the art, there's no faking it. You're not plucking eyes out, kicking groins, and saying "now if you were a real bad guy..."
    With the right Krav guy there isn't a lot of b.s. I will note during my BJJ time (which I loved and hopefully will get back to), I wasn't able to bury my thumb in my opponents eye (one of my favorite street things), kick in the groin (which works insanely well with steel toe boots), so there are limitations there as well. I found BJJ is exceptional for really understanding how to apply 100% force. I combo' it with Krav to get the "dirty stuff" worked in as well.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    With the right Krav guy there isn't a lot of b.s. I will note during my BJJ time (which I loved and hopefully will get back to), I wasn't able to bury my thumb in my opponents eye (one of my favorite street things), kick in the groin (which works insanely well with steel toe boots), so there are limitations there as well. I found BJJ is exceptional for really understanding how to apply 100% force. I combo' it with Krav to get the "dirty stuff" worked in as well.
    That was kinda my initial thought at looking at the big picture. Getting some of the good fundamentals of bjj and taking some classes of the krav to get a different perspective. Like so many have mentioned already, it does seem much easier to vet the bjj as the one in my area has a pretty long list of credentials. I would imagine as in most things if you find the right instructor the KM would be pretty interesting as well.

User Tag List