Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LCR or Bodyguard .38?

I was so confused for a minute. I thought we were talking about the Smith and Wesson 638-Bodyguard and I wouldn't understand why all the hate...not that pulsating ball of suck and fail that is the "Bodyguard".

I may have missed a memo but the Ruger LCR generally tags about 50-75 bucks more than a 642 when I've shopped 'em. There is currently a Talo edition 642 out that comes straight from the Smith Performance Center with their Super-Tuned action, they generally bring about $450 out the door. Were I in the need of another 5-shot snub-a-lub this would be my choice.

Wilson combat spring kits are cheap for J-frames. I think around 8-12 bones.

A set of springs, a set of snap-caps, and a lot of dry practice early on do wonders for the J-Frame trigger.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 04-24-2016 at 08:11 PM.

Cost isn't the only factor, just an important one. Otherwise I would be asking what Taurus would best go with my Hi-Point. I'm not averse to spending more for something better, its that the J-frames have hidden costs after the msrp. Springs and grips don't cost much, but then I have to pay a gunsmith to install them, as I lack the tools and knowledge to do so. The LCR has most of the things I was looking for at a price I am comfortable with. While I'm sure the other options can be made better, I'm not sure if its worth the investment in time and effort above the initial purchase to be worth it. Money and time I could otherwise spend on ammo and range fees. The Bodyguard caught my attention because of the laser, and the similar price and construction. It seems as if my initial impression that the LCR the superior of the too was correct.
    Last edited by MandoWookie; 04-24-2016 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Cost isn't the only factor, just an important one. Otherwise I would be asking what Taurus would best go with my Hi-Point. I'm not averse to spending more for something better, its that the J-frames have hidden costs after the msrp. Springs and grips don't cost much, but then I have to pay a gunsmith to install them, as I lack the tools and knowledge to do so. The LCR has most of the things I was looking for at a price I am comfortable with. While I'm sure the other options can be made better, I'm not sure if its worth the investment in time and effort above the initial purchase to be worth it. Money and time I could otherwise spend on ammo and range fees. The Bodyguard caught my attention because of the laser, and the similar price and construction. It seems as if my initial impression that the LCR the superior of the too was correct.
    Do you have issues working a J-Frame trigger?

Something to bear in mind. The LCR is a bigger gun. You buy an LCR you are going to discover it isn't as pocketable as a J-Frame, until you swap on a set of Eagle Secret Service stocks which set you back another hundred bucks. Then you'll find it still is a bit bigger and humpier than the 642 and it won't conceal much better than a Shield. You're going to be $550+ into a gun that isn't much better than anything else.

Here's a 642 no-lock TALO with Smith PC trigger job. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=554951191 Straight out of the box this gun can get loaded and shoved into the pocket of your dress slacks without an issue. If you want to improve it CT LG-105s (http://www.crimsontrace.com/products...rgrips/01-1870) or LG-405 (http://www.crimsontrace.com/products...rgrips/01-1680) depending on if you can shoot the gun without the rubber covering the backstrap. - You will not need a further action job to shoot this gun. Just buy ammunition and shoot it.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 04-24-2016 at 08:53 PM.

[QUOTE=RevolverRob;437040]

Here's a 642 no-lock TALO with Smith PC trigger job. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=554951191 Straight out of the box this gun can get loaded and shoved into the pocket of your dress slacks without an issue.

I was not aware this was an option, thank you. While I will probably still get the LCR, I will also reconsider the J-frame before I make my final decision. I will definitely have to see if any of the LGS's around here have one of those Talo 642s.

Also I'm still curious as to why the Bodyguard w/laser is so disliked? Build quality? Ergos? Trigger? Or is just in comparison to other options? Is there anything about it on its own that makes it a poor choice? I've had a hard time finding any info that goes into detail on why its not good, with most positive reviews can be summed as "It has laser! Its good!". It would be nice to have a reference for someone else who might be asking the same questions I am.
    Last edited by MandoWookie; 04-25-2016 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Spelling. Grammar however is a lost cause.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Well… never mind. Not my place to be critical of a man's financial situation.

The polymer frame S&W Bodyguard revolver is a colossal piece of absolute shit. The LCR is leagues above it in all regards.

I prefer the "regular" J frame S&W snubbies because they are measureably smaller than the LCR in all dimensions, and IMO better in other areas as well. But you indicated one of those isn't on your dance card, and there are plenty of qualified folks here who like their LCRs, so buy one with confidence. Avoid that miserable plastic S&W snubbie like you would a dose of herpes. Seriously.

What he said. Any "serious" person I know who has shot the "Bodyguard" (typed with vomit in my mouth as we all know what a REAL Bodyguard is in the S&W line) has had nothing but problems and despised them. I was so unimpressed I turned down real money to write an article about it.

It comes down to this.....LCR is fine. I have a couple. If you go Smith, stick with a REAL J frame and focus on one of the "40" or "42" based guns on what you can afford. You will be FAR better off getting a much better gun and adding a laser as time goes on and you can save a little. Hell, I'll sell you a set at half of what they cost if it will help you not buy the new Bodyguard. Look at who seems to love them. It is the "I fired a box of ammo with no issues" crowd who yells "Laser" like Doug does "Squirrel". See if you can find any serious trainer who carries one. In the mean time, most of the serious training folks and professionals all have a well worn 442/642 or similar somewhere.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    What he said. Any "serious" person I know who has shot the "Bodyguard" (typed with vomit in my mouth as we all know what a REAL Bodyguard is in the S&W line) has had nothing but problems and despised them. I was so unimpressed I turned down real money to write an article about it.
    Local LEO supplier had them at nearly free for Individual Officer Pricing. I don't recall exactly, but it was in the mid $200s while the LCR was going for $450-ish. Still wasn't enough to convince me to take one over the LCR.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yeah, I asked about the night sight here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....it-for-the-LCR

I don't like the idea of changing the sight picture, so other than paint I'm just leaving the front sight alone.
    Not trying to be argumentative, but that one was a round-top affair made by XS. The night sight they are showing now is by Novak, and appears to be a square profile. Just trying to clarify.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Buying guns is a costly (costlier to some) activity. I'm all for saving money, but that's so I can buy quality when I'm ready to do so. You don't have to immediately change the grips or the trigger to use effectively, as previously mentioned.

What I would definitely budget is after buying the gun itself, determine what holster you'll get and, what I do, budget in 1,000 rounds of ammo (another $350) for practice and some for carry. An Apex spring kit can be found on Ebay for $26. This kit can be installed with not much more than a screwdriver to remove the side-plate screws. If you're near me in CA, I'll help with the install.

If you have to have laser grips, well that might be another $162 (I didn't go this route). I've accumulated various J-frame grips over the years, but I mainly carry it with the stock "Uncle Mike's" grips which came with it 15+ years ago.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Not trying to be argumentative, but that one was a round-top affair made by XS. The night sight they are showing now is by Novak, and appears to be a square profile. Just trying to clarify.
    This one?

http://shopruger.com/LCR-Novak-Triti...uctinfo/12963/

Maybe. It says it should work on the .38/.357 but changes the POI on the .22 by 5". That's what the round top one says too. I figured they were the same based on that info, but I could be wrong. I don't take it as being argumentative at all, if anyone has any experience with the square one and it doesn't change the POA/POI for the center fires I'll be on it like a fat cop on a doughnut.

User Tag List