Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry rotation. What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Like you, I have a couple different pistols I carry based on the circumstances of that day/situation. There are many gun carrying people who have a collection of guns and rotate their carry gun on a regular basis because they like to collect and carry many different guns.

I have seen many of these same people post things about putting that new gun into their "carry rotation" after "15 flawless rounds".
    I carry a Glock 17 Gen 4 as an EDC, but will carry my 9mm Walther PPS when the Glock is too cumbersome for my given task (PT, running, etc). Defensive ammunition used in both firearms is identical, and reliability has been vetted. That's my carry rotation.

I've been fielding questions from folks back home about carry, and the topic of a "rotation" has come up. I've directed them to take a class with John Murphy and spend their training money on practice ammunition instead of getting a Taurus Judge or Canik.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 04-24-2016 at 08:05 AM.

For 46 years I've been carrying a 1911 pistol. Though Over those years I've carried 3 different pistols, they have all been 1911's. Why someone might ask? Because I know the 1911 backwards, forwards and in my sleep. Having that knowledge and experience has in the real world saved mine or another Military member or Law officer's life on a few occasions.
    To my way of thinking and this is just my opinion, one should find the weapon they are comfortable with and train, train, train and then train some more until operating that weapon is part of their nature.

Varies between a pair of Glock 19's and a Nano. All have a minimum of 450 rounds of Gold Dot 124+p through them, 150 through each carry magazine with no hiccups. Gaming mags marked separately.

Work is a G22 w/165 HST and a pair of personally owned G22's set up like the work gun.

It's not a fashion statement it's a toolbox.

99% of time I carry a G17. there are times, that 1% i will carry my LCP (BUG) as a primary.
    “There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    If you don't center your whole life around one single gun (and a Clinch Pick) you aren't doing it right. Everyone knows that.
    Well, less that and more if you're casually treating a deadly weapon like a fashion accessory you are doing it wrong.

The "carry rotation" crowd is usually a perfect match with the "I accidentally shot myself when reholstering in the parking lot" crowd. I.e. people that think that the gun they've got on them is for funsies. It's not. It can kill people. You don't take it out in Target and take a selfie with it. You don't pet it in the truck because you got bored while the wife/girlfriend/husband/cabana boy is shopping. You put it in the bloody holster and leave it there until you either take it off at home or you shoot some poor bastard with it.

That's not to say you can't enjoy firearms ownership. But people need to keep "fun guns" and "serious guns" in a separate place in their head. Especially in public (where the vast majority of "carrying" actually takes place). The people that feel compelled to change it up "for variety" are the same people that don't get that simple concept and end up on the news after they grace the public with a display of their own thundering incompetence.

The only silver lining is usually they don't hurt anybody but themselves.

I will jump on eat pile that feels a, "Carry Rotation" is a "Show and Tell" more than anything else. These are the types who spend way more time arguing on a gun forum than actually shooting.

Having a selection of guns that you carry depending on the requirements at hand is different in my opinion than having a carry rotation. At work, I am issued a M&P9. I carry an M&P Shield 9mm as a BUG while at work. Off duty, I greatly prefer the Glock 19. Now in gen4 flavor. There are times, no matter how much I want to convince myself otherwise, that the Glock 19 is too large to effectively conceal. Granted those times are rare. I had high hopes for the Glock 43 filling that niche, but it's just too small for my hands. (My wife absconded it.) For those situations, I am currently using the M&P Shield that is also my BUG. I also hang onto a J-Frame S&W 642 as a pocket gun. It usually sees service in the summer when I'm cutting grass and am shirtless.

When I retire if a couple of years, the M&P9 will also be retired. Then I'll go with a duty sized gun/Glock 19 sized gun and a subcompact gun. And I'll still train with each.

But within each size category there is only one type of gun (I may have an identical spare vetted and set aside, but that's different). And to me, this is the difference between having a, "Carry Rotation" and having different guns for different specific needs.

I rotate my carry gun from my holster to my nightstand, then back again. I don't pick a different gun based on circumstances or weather or it's Tuesday or I'm in a suit or I'm in shorts and flip flops. The gun I want to carry to a fight is the gun I want to carry. Period.

Mind you I'm new, but as I understand it, 'carry rotation' means what you decide to carry in your Serpa or Uncle Mike's holster that day.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Well, less that and more if you're casually treating a deadly weapon like a fashion accessory you are doing it wrong.
    Well, I was joking so ......

Site Supporter
    I almost always carry a Commander but sometimes I get all crazy and carry a Government model. The Government model actually balances better on the belt for me, not really a lot of difference other than a little weight.

I used to carry revolvers too but stopped that practice a while back.

User Tag List