Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shorting the practice/match performance gap.

I think there are a few different methods of dry fire practice and you can achieve different things from them. I think there is value in dry firing very fast, almost out of control. Just like there is value at dry firing at the same pace you would shoot things.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I think there are a few different methods of dry fire practice and you can achieve different things from them. I think there is value in dry firing very fast, almost out of control. Just like there is value at dry firing at the same pace you would shoot things.
    I agree. Pure aggressive speed mode, throwing caution to the wind teaches the body to move fast. But, precise accurate but still quick also needs to be done.

In January, 2016 I started real DF with Anderson's book, R&R, my draw time was 1.5+ DF. At steel matches first shots were 2.4-2.5sec. Now in speed mode I can get the gun out and POINTED (not aimed) with a par of 0.7 and almost 0.6. Visual processing still lags as the 56 year old peepers don't change focus fast enough. At class, I hit 1.87 Bill drill with a 0.92 first shot all A at 7yds. Not great, but not bad for an old geezer C class scrub.

My big "failure" was not practicing accuracy mode. Now I'm breaking bad habits of pulling off targets while firing, not changing eye to the next target correctly, etc. Speed's great, but missing fast hasn't won any matches. That's why the focus is now more accuracy.

I think it's harder to get faster than it is to get more accurate, so atleast you got the speed thing!
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I think it's harder to get faster than it is to get more accurate, so atleast you got the speed thing!
    At least for me, it's hard to maintain accuracy at even match speed. Especially with my "style" of shooting which was discribed as being "like a rabid squirrel on crack".

Actually, my biggest issue is holding concentration and being patient enough to finish the shot. I'm too eager to snap to the next target or slap the trigger that my buddy "Mike" shows up.

Got any video?
    i used to wannabe

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/john...bx5he.mp4.html

I did ...ok on that one, except for moving at glacial speed. . Oh, and forgetting one target. oops.
    Last edited by John_bud; 11-02-2016 at 04:06 PM.

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/john...mge5s.mp4.html

First half of a classifier.

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/john...e21n4.mp4.html

2nd half.

Times were ok. Hits pretty good, but I lost focus and pulled the friggn last shot into mike-land.

Luke I know you listened to Steve Andersons last two podcasts but for those of you that didn't he talks about this topic.

Luke where do you think the gap is occurring? Is it accuracy or speed? Is the gap in time or shot placement?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Not sure what's going on with the link but it's trying to force me to download something.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    Luke I know you listened to Steve Andersons last two podcasts but for those of you that didn't he talks about this topic.

Luke where do you think the gap is occurring? Is it accuracy or speed? Is the gap in time or shot placement?

I don't have much of a gap anymore. If I can dry fire it and not cheat, IE I saw my sights and mashed the trigger while the sights remained aligned, I can do it in live fire with almost the same time.

Edit:I made this thread in April as a basically new shooter with tons of issues, still have issues but I'm worlds apart from bscknin april lol
    Last edited by Luke; 11-02-2016 at 04:15 PM.
    i used to wannabe

User Tag List