Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blaser R8 and R93

Blaser R8 and R93

Anyone have much experience with them? Likes, dislikes, accuracy? I know at least one of you has one and likes it, anyone else as well? Pics are always good too:-)

Is it possible to get a 6.5 Creedmore barrel for them?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Anyone have much experience with them? Likes, dislikes, accuracy? I know at least one of you has one and likes it, anyone else as well? Pics are always good too:-)

Is it possible to get a 6.5 Creedmore barrel for them?
    Not much to add to this morning's discussion, except to warn you off of the R93, especially in heavier calibers. The R8 is maybe 1/2 lb heavier, but the lockup of bolt and barrel is stronger. I saw Jeff Cooper's personal R93 .30-06 get so buggered-up at Gunsite that they had to use a hammer to get it apart.

Another point that occurs to me is that the OAL of the rifle is shorter than conventional bolt guns. My R8 is 2" shorter than my Model 70's with the same length barrel (22"). Also has the best out-of-the-box trigger I've ever experienced.

This guy has a good reputation for making custom Blaser barrels, and does make them in 6.5 Creedmoor:

Elmer A. Laitala
    320-272-4564
    elmer.light@gmail.com

Name:  R8 - 1.jpg
Views: 3375
Size:  51.4 KB

Steve,

That is good to know about the custom barrels, thanks! I figured someone must be making some, but I hadn't heard anyone mentioned in my searches yet.

My understanding is that because the bolt doesn't need to rotate, it can be several inches shorter than a comparable turnbolt.

What about a pic rail for the guns? I see they offer every configuration under the sun for the scope mounts except a clamp on pic rail.

What about a pic rail for the guns? I see they offer every configuration under the sun for the scope mounts except a clamp on pic rail.
    http://www.eurooptic.com/blaser-fixe...ting-rail.aspx

Awesome! Only $425...:-(

Awesome! Only $425...:-(
    Nothing cheap about these rifles! On a happier note, apparently Blaser is now making factory barrels in 6.5 Creedmoor:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=554789405

Heard back from Elmer as well. Kreiger blanks, basically the same price, though it looks like the GB link includes a magazine insert.

Would you go with the R8 (detachable trigger and magazine) or the R8 Professional (non detachable)?

Heard back from Elmer as well. Kreiger blanks, basically the same price, though it looks like the GB link includes a magazine insert.

Would you go with the R8 (detachable trigger and magazine) or the R8 Professional (non detachable)?
    All R8's are detachable unless you order a blind mag version; not sure why you would want that. Taking the mag/trigger out requires a bit of effort; not going to happen by accident. There is a lug you can activate inside the rifle that will lock the mag/trigger unit in place. My R8 Professional has the detachable unit, which makes the caliber switch easier. Practically speaking, I would never remove the thing in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    All R8's are detachable unless you order a blind mag version; not sure why you would want that. Taking the mag/trigger out requires a bit of effort; not going to happen by accident. There is a lug you can activate inside the rifle that will lock the mag/trigger unit in place. My R8 Professional has the detachable unit, which makes the caliber switch easier. Practically speaking, I would never remove the thing in the field.
    Ok, this is what drives me nuts about blaser. they list an R8 Professional (S), and they say the difference is that it has a fixed magazine. Seems to be slightly less expensive. http://www.blaser-usa.com/index.php?id=1775&L=1

eta: I like the idea of the removable trigger housing, but would plan to simply load through the top normally.
    Last edited by SLG; 04-24-2016 at 01:33 PM.

There were several reports circulating over the past 10 years of serious injuries to shooters with the older R93. Of course, anyone can blow up a gun if they do something stupid enough, but apparently the R93 did a poor job of protecting the shooter in those instances. No idea if the R8 is better in that regard.

User Tag List