Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Deputy Involved Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    My thoughts and prayers are with the Deputy. I hope everything goes well for him.

Bless him for his courage, pulling a fellow Deputy out of the way and carrying the fight to the bad guy.

Thanks for sharing, Chief. We've missed you around here.
    Ditto! Well done.

Quick thinking and good work, glad all the deputies are ok. When all this settles I'd love to get up with you and learn about your UoF policy and firearms program. I'd really like to revamp my department's to prepare for the inevitable. I particularly like that you allow those involved to review video prior to making a statement.

Vending Machine Operator
    With the usual disclaimers about this not being legal advice and laws varying in every jurisdiction, this would appear to be about as lawful and righteous as a shoot can be, and the deputies did everything I can think of right. Reasonable force to stop the threat followed by immediate lifesaving efforts. Extremely commendable and clearly some great training at work.

Glad both deputies went home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Chief - if you know who did the shooting last night text me. I'm curious and it hasn't been released yet.
    Disregard - I just read the GBI statement. It named him but the release read odd to me. It didn't sound as supportive as the statements released by you guys about your shoot. I hope the ACCPD officer fares as well.

In addition to his academy training, I've had him in numerous classes including one with copious work on almost exactly this shooting problem.

I put him in one of our slots for the Givens/Aprill class we hosted last year. I know that he has been to a Vickers class, and I think he has spent some time wth Lund. There may be more.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    In addition to his academy training, I've had him in numerous classes including one with copious work on almost exactly this shooting problem.

I put him in one of our slots for the Givens/Aprill class we hosted last year. I know that he has been to a Vickers class, and I think he has spent some time wth Lund. There may be more.
    As soon as I heard the voice in the video, I knew I recognized the young man involved. By the looks of it, he did an excellent job. I enjoyed meeting him at the Givens/Aprill class last year, and hope he is doing well after these events.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    Quick thinking and good work, glad all the deputies are ok. When all this settles I'd love to get up with you and learn about your UoF policy and firearms program. I'd really like to revamp my department's to prepare for the inevitable. I particularly like that you allow those involved to review video prior to making a statement.
    I'm not jlw, but if you're interested I can send you our policy. We are the first in our county to get body cams and I advised the brass about our policy (I used a lot of info from the Force Science Analysis class I went to). We are allowed to review the video as well. If it matters, we are a flagship CALEA agency and it is fully compliant.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Add Chase Jenkins and Curt Carpenter to my list above. He has also worked with a friend in the 20th SF group.

We went to a Frank Proctor course together.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

A few things come to mind:

Excellent work, especially since from the initial post I assume the Deputy involved is a newer officer.

This is an example of the positive aspect to the use of body cam's. We're looking into it and will go live by late summer. But with over 1,000 officers and only enough current funding for about 600 cameras, it poses some issues as to who will be mandated to wear them and who will not. It's all about the $...

I'm glad to see a positive release too soon after an OIS incident. I wish it were so where I work.

An interesting bit of verbal stunning by the Deputy, "Don't point a Fucking gun at us!".

Excellent work warning his partner of the threat prior to engaging. Hope he is doing well after the incident, as he performed well during the incident.

Great work by the deputy. He immediately recognized the threat and responded accordingly. He was very collected on the radio afterwards notifying supervisors and calling for an ambulance. I can't wait until my department gets body cams. This footage was perfect. You can clearly hear the suspect chamber a round and clearly see him raise his weapon at the deputies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List