Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 161: Five Second Standard

Week 161: Five Second Standard

Week 161: Five Second Standard

Results may be posted until May 22nd, 2016.

Designed by: Pat McNamara
    Range: varies, see below
    Target: USPSA Metric
    Start Position: varies, see below
    Rounds Fired: varies

Set up the target and set the par time for five seconds. Gun starts loaded for all strings.

String 1: Start with gun at ready position of your choice. At the start signal, shoot two rounds to the lower A-zone of the USPSA Metric target.

String 2: Start with the gun holstered. At the start signal, draw and shoot two rounds to the lower A-zone of the USPSA Metric target.

String 3: Start with the gun holstered. At the start signal, draw with the strong hand only and shoot two rounds to the lower A-zone of the USPSA Metric target.

Shoot strings 1-3 at the 7 yard line. If you have all A-zone hits, repeat at the 10 yard line. If you have all A-zone hits, repeat at the 15 yard line. If you have all A-zone hits, repeat at the 25 yard line.

See additional comments from Pat McNamara here: http://soldiersystems.net/2015/02/07...t-mcnamara-26/

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Furthest distance successfully completed
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

So all 3 strings added together cannot be above 5 seconds?
    i used to wannabe

From the link provided:

Using my ‘Five Second Standard ‘drill as an example, we should perform fairly consistent with incremental improvements over time. Use IPSC targets and yard markers starting at 7 yards, 10 yards, 15, 20, etc. I call these yard lines ‘levels’.

Set a timer to a five second par time. Start at the 7 yard line (level 1), weapon at a ready position. On the timer’s ‘Beep’, engage your target twice within those five seconds. Next, draw and engage your target twice in five seconds. Next, draw and engage your target twice strong hand only. If all six shots are in the ‘A’ zone, you have graduated level one.
    Last edited by scw2; 04-22-2016 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks scw2!

Luke, same as he posted, I understood each string to have its own five second par time.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

G19 w/RMR, Fricke AIWB, pullover
    Furthest distance clean was 20 yards. At 25 I had 2C's on the FS portion and one on the SHO. I went ahead and shot at 30 and 35 yards as well only shooting clean from the ready. Even though I had plenty of time, when going from the holster I still felt rushed and this probably contributed to the misses from those distances versus shooting from the ready. SHO misses were just because I stink at it.

Glock 17, concealed under an open button-down shirt.

I shot it at 7, 10, 15, 20 amd 25. 6 A's At each distance all the way back to the 25 yard line.

Time on the SHO at 25 was 4.97. In under the wire!
    C Class shooter.

Ruger LCP
    I carry in the front pocket and started with my hand on the gun for the holstered stages. I shot at 7, 10, 15 & 25 yards.
    Was shooting clean until the SHO shots at 25 yards.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Crashed and burned twice. Once with a G19 and once with the SA 9mm 1911. Both times place a SHO outside the Alpha zone at 10 yards. Will revisit this one!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Glock 17 rtf2 concealed under a polo in a Dark Star Gear aiwb

7yds - pass
    10yds - pass
    15yds - fail

At 15 I didn't utilize my time and shot too fast, a common problem I have and have started working on. I dropped one just into the C zone on each string while making par. Even from the ready I was in a hurry to get nowhere and threw one just into the C zone. You seemingly have all the time in the world but there is still pressure, and I let it get the best of me.

Pistol: HK VP9
    Holster & Concealment: K-Rounds IWB holster under an open-front button-up shirt.
    Farthest Distance Passed: 25 yards

Things I learned:
    • As Mac would put it, "This one reads easy." But it's not.
    • I shot this test at 7, 15, 25, and 50 yards. I didn't pass any of them on the first try--I let the time pressure get to my head. Five seconds is a lot longer than I'm used to having, so I tended to rush everything. Once I slowed down, I started making good hits AND staying within the par time.
    • Getting a solid grip during the draw is absolutely essential, and was much harder with my shirt buttoned. When I unbuttoned my shirt, my scores got way better.
    • The only good thing that happened at 50 yards is that I recovered 100% of my brass.
    • The "drive-the-dot" sight picture is still a problem.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List