Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Week 4: Bill Drill

Thanks guys! That is crazy fast!

We are diminished
    For those of you who went out blazing and turned in awesome times with misses, how about trying it again to see how fast you can go with 100% hits?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    how about trying it again to see how fast you can go with 100% hits?
    OK. I'll go back to the range tonight.

bill drill

IDPA target Cz75 in USPSA production rig
    2.23 -1 1.10, .24, .22, .24, .21, .22
    2.14 -0 1.08, .19, .23, .21, .22, .21
    2.26 -3
    2.30 -1
    2.26 -2
    11.19 23/30
    My one clean run I noticed my grip was perfect and the gun automatically went back in line. So this drill showed me I need to work on my grip in dry fire.

Bob H

Folks, while it is fine, good, and even necessary to push yourself in practice to see how fast you can shoot, when taking a shooting TEST for time and score it is important to go at a pace that allows you to accurately make hits--that whole balance of speed and accuracy thing. Imagine yourself as a member of a team, organization, or unit where you get KICKED OFF if you miss a shot during training. More vividly, think about being in a life and death struggle where if your shots miss, they strike an innocent person, perhaps a loved family member...

Basically think about situations where a MISS is an utter FAIL.

For those of you who went out blazing and turned in awesome times with misses, how about trying it again to see how fast you can go with 100% hits?
    I can't speak for others, and my times were no where near awesome, but for me this was pretty much exploratory. Since it was new I just wanted to see what it was like. I will try to do it again if I can make it to the range again this week, but I am past my weekly 9mm allowance. As this drill becomes a regular, of course 100% hits is the goal instead of raw speed.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

...how about trying it again to see how fast you can go with 100% hits?
    I think because (and not saying it's the case here...) some people are more impressed with being blazing fast and getting an 'acceptable' number of hits.

I try not to put too much emphasis on speed, unless I'm doing a drill that specifically calls for it. And even then, if I'm not getting enough hits on what I'm shooting at (3x5 card, 8" circle, qualification target, etc), I know I have to slow down.

concealed under untucked polo
    M&P 9mm FS
    CCC Shaggy
    First Shot / Total for Run
    1. 1.85 / 3.11 - 1 miss
    2.1.78 / 2.99
    3. 1.97 / 3.36 - 1 miss
    4. 2.08 / 3.39
    5. 1.89 / 3.09

Total = 15.94 28/30 Shot before seeing the 100% accuracy bit

Pennzoil--We are all going to have occasional misses, it means we are pushing the envelope, which is a good thing to do in practice. The problem occurs when folks think it is OK to routinely miss and they do not ever find that balance between speed and accuracy that allows them to shoot a drill cleanly. I guess it is time to pull out the old chestnut: speed is fine, but accuracy is final.

DocGKR- agree and I know it's something I have to work on myself.

User Tag List