Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 4: Bill Drill

We are diminished

Week 4: Bill Drill

Please read the rules before participating in this thread.

Week 4: Bill Drill
    results may be posted until 11:59pm EDT on Monday 31-October-2011.

attributed variously to Bill Jordan, Bill Rogers, and Bill Wilson
    Range: 7yd
    Target: IPSC A-zone, IDPA -0 zone, or 8" circle
    Start position: holstered
    Rounds fired: 5 strings of 6 shots each

You will need a shot timer for this DotW. Actually, you'll need a shot timer for most DotWs so if you don't have one, either buy one or at least download one onto your smartphone.

Very easy drill this week. Draw and fire six rounds at the target. Record your time. Repeat for a total of five runs (30 rounds).

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:
    • Target used
    • Start position (open, concealed, retention holster)
    • Number of hits out of 30
    • Total time

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

For those of you in need of targets for the Week 4 drill, keep in mind that the outer border of the 8 ring on the NRA B8 25 yd pistol target (http://pistol-forum.com/attachment.p...7&d=1306683559) used in the pistol-forum.com Week 1 DOW is an 8" circle, as is the circle on the FAST drill target (http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...ast-target.pdf)...

We are diminished
    Thanks, Doc!

Shot it today with my Gen4 G17, Ameriglo Defoor sights, Blade-tech holster, open carry, and Winchester Super Unleaded 147gr ammo. Used a NASS target (4, 6, and 8" circles with a 4" square).

Score - 30/30 (all but 3 rounds were touching or within the 6" circle)
    Total time - 14.8 seconds

For shooting from open carry, my first shots were dog slow... 1.67, 1.68, 1.67, 1.87, and 1.54 for the 5 runs. Time for each 6 shot string ran from a high to 3.25 to a low of 2.60.
    Last edited by wicked_police; 10-25-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: picture up

HKP30 V3 Heinie Straight Eight Qwik... from concealment. 28/30

3.50 = 1.88/.38/.38/.28/.29/.29
    3.48 = 1.92/.35/.33/.35/.32/.28
    3.51 = 1.90/.33/.33/.32/.33/.30
    3.47 = 1.94/.35/.32/.28/.30/.28
    3.48 = 2.01/.44/.30/.26/.23/.24

17.44 sec... words can not describe how frustrating this range session was. My time to first hit from concealment should have been clocked with a sun dial and my splits were underwhelming. I was on the front sight and it was all I could do to keep them in the 8" circle. I do remember being very tense during the press outs and struggling to push the sight on to the huge circle. Although I feel my time should have been much faster I at least managed to get 28 hits at what was full speed for me today. I didn't lose the FS durring the splits but it was just in slow motion. This will certainly be shot many more times in the following days....
    Last edited by CCT125US; 10-25-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: bad math skills
    Taking a break from social media.

To Wicked_Police

It would be nice if you used your issued pistol. Must be nice... Almost as bad as your partner in crime on the west coast.

Quote Originally Posted by st34 View Post
    It would be nice if you used your issued pistol. Must be nice... Almost as bad as your partner in crime on the west coast.
    What must be nice? That I went out and spent a bunch of money for a gun (as well as holsters, mag pouches, mags, etc) that I use for the occasional match that I can get to, and I use it to practice when I can? It would also be nice if I had an extra 2" on the end of my dick. But I don't.

If it makes you feel any better, today I also shot two courses of fire for work, with my issue pistol, as well as a few other drills. I just didn't do the DotW.

150/150 with 17 x on one CoF with the 5946.
    250/250 with 23 x on the other with the 5946.
    Last edited by wicked_police; 10-25-2011 at 10:11 PM.

shot this drill for the first time tonight with JConn.

glock 17
    reloads- 124 grn Montana gold
    shaggy AIWB, concealed with untucked polo

we used a bunch of the NRA B8 target pdf's from DotW 1. to make certain we were getting all our rounds on paper, we put up a fresh target for every run. copy machines love me.

3.79 -1
    3.61 clean
    3.59 -1
    3.70 clean
    3.77 -1

final time 18.46
    27/30

I ran it twice more, trying to replicate the cleanliness of runs 2 and 4, but failed.
    3.64 -1
    3.61 -1

as mentioned I had never done this drill before, and have only owned a shot timer for 4 days. I believe I will make this drill a part of every range trip.

I bet I can perform better using the Q-PT target, as when shooting fast I personally seem to perform better using a big gray circle on a huge piece of paper vs. a small black circle on a much smaller piece of paper.
    actually, the same with shooting index cards. I shoot far more accurately at the head box on a Q-PT than an index card stapled to cardboard. maybe the gray color is more conducive for some reason? It has to be purely mental in any case.

also, I want to try again at my usual range, which has far superior lighting to the location we shot at tonight.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

So, lots of fun this week. This is the first time I have done timed rapid fire drills, so be easy. So, these things don't change. I used the target from the week 1 challenge, and I shot from concealment strong side under a long sleeve t-shirt. Firearm used was Gen 3 G19 w/ warren sevigny carry two dot sights. So first time, I didn't do so hot, mainly because I wasn't really using my sights.
    3.70 -2
    3.40 -2
    3.37 -5
    3.86 -1
    3.62 -1
    Grand total = 17.95 19/30

So, decided to make sure I used my sights and focused more on proper stance and round two happened.

3.59 clean
    3.51 clean
    3.66 -2
    3.58 -1
    3.34 -1
    Grand total = 17.68 26/30

Now if I can just do a proper press out. This was the final Bill drill.

edit - that was by far my best group, but it made me happy. This drill will now be done at least a few times every week..
    Last edited by JConn; 10-25-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: addition
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Shot this today with my comp gun - SIG Blackwater 226 with Dawson FO front and Sevigny comp rear from open carry comp gear. Target is an 8" circle from FAST target.

Times:
    2.54 -1
    Total: 13.70 29/30

Tomorrow I'm gonna shoot it with my duty gun and gear and then off duty gun and gear.

User Tag List