Thread: PTR 91

PTR 91

I'd like to know what you all think of PTR 91 rifles please?We carried them some years ago when they were a new company and there were a few issues(I don't remember what they were),I'm trying a few again.Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    I'd like to know what you all think of PTR 91 rifles please?We carried them some years ago when they were a new company and there were a few issues(I don't remember what they were),I'm trying a few again.Thanks.
    I had one a long time ago when I was getting into shooting. .308 Battle rifle... I bought it because of the FUD. I put a lot of rounds through it. Great rifle.
    Mags were(are) cheap.

I traded for a FAL (I had a FAL and the other guy had a HK - we both wanted backups).

I, sadly, don't have .308's anymore...

Site Supporter
    I had one. Bought it in 2008 and traded it towards a Dan Wesson Valor 1911 about two years ago. Great rifle but I found myself shooting my AR-10 more. the only issue I had was an ARMS claw scope mount would not lock on the gun. If I bought another, I would want one with the welded on 1913 rail section.

PTR said they could weld a 1913 rail on top of the receiver for $180 including shipping and re-finish.

I'm interested to see some more replies. I've been kicking around getting either a ptr91 or FAL.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    I have one of the early ones that has the correct G3 barrel profile as well as the welded top rail. It's not a G.I. model and predates their move from CT, so I can't say it's a true representation of the current product line.
    I've been happy with it so far though, 600 rounds through it and no malfunctions with a variety of surplus and commercial ammo.
    I'm not sure if you can get them but they are doing standard top rails and paddle mag releases on some versions.

I have one and really like it a lot. It's a tank. A big, heavy, gangly thing that will take a beating and keep shooting. Mags are plentiful and stupid cheap, and it will shoot the worst Russian steel case stuff all day long. More accurate than I am, and easy to shoot. I have run it in a number of local 2 gun (rifle/pistol) matches.

The only thing I need is to get the 1913 rail welded on because none of the claw mounts are any good for heavy duty use.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

I've been interested in these for a while. Just not 100% on durability/long term longevity. Keep reading (e.g HK Forum) how these aren't really made to same specs as the HK91...some cheaper MIM shortcuts, etc. Hoping to get more info from this thread. Posts like Cecil Burch's are encouraging.
    Last edited by Willard; 04-22-2016 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks for the help.Got three in,sold one,interesting that they were built in CT.They look well built.

I have the GI model with welded rail on top. I've put somewhere around 700-800 rounds through it so far with no issues. Atlantic has them on sale every so often and if you can get it for less than $900 it's hard to find a better battle rifle for the price.

User Tag List