Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Speedloaders and Deploying Them From Concealement

Let's Talk Speedloaders and Deploying Them From Concealement

I have been through the pocket carry method which is slow... sometimes 7-8 seconds to deploy depending upon how deep in the pocket they go, if you have anything else in the pocket with them and what direction they decide to turn.

For me I am running the LCR 357. So the 5 star and the SL variants are about it. The HKS are tight and require precise fit, and the safarilands just don't work. Obviously the 357 just dont work due to length and angle so 38 is what I run in the loaders

I have both 5 stars and sl variant loaders. I like the 5 stars best. If you call them they will make you loaders to deploy clockwise like the HKS instead of teh standard counter clockwise release.

I am currently using the Ted Blocker Clips for $10: http://www.tedblockerholsters.com/Sp...Clip_p_78.html

They even carry the big bore 44 special for the charter well:

Pros: Lightweight and very concealable. Perfect for the reasons I carry the revolver. I can set them up for forward or backward pull depending upon my preference. Allows for wearing it half inside belt, completely inside belt, or outside belt. So it is highly concealable. They are also comfortable.

Cons: will not fit on thick belts like the beltman. Require a little metal opening with some needlenose (slight bend) to fit on my wilderness 3/4" belts to clear the velcro. (I could go with a 1/2" belt or thinner belt but I would rather not). You have to pull back or forward instead of up.

I can run 4-5 second reloads from under concealment using one hand. I'm sure I will get better as my I train more and more. Light t-shirts and shorts are the dress of the day out here for almost 8 months.

I just saw the jox ones and was wondering what the experiences were on those? Concealement wise? Comfort wise?

Is there anything else I may have overlooked?

I have found that carrying appendix really limits where I can put them because I use the strong hand load method. So they go just over the front pocket right before the hip bone. I have debated going to the weak hand reload method and retraining but I would rather not. Was wondering if anyone carries the jox ones like this? they seem big. I was thinking of trying one, but if it provides no benefit over the clips, I will carry on.

Just wondering what you use and your experiences? There is a lot of snub folks here who have a lot more street time carrying these concealed than me.

Thank you
    Last edited by eb07; 04-21-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Site Supporter
    I have used a big cell phone case to carry 2 speed loaders. It works fairly well and most folks won't give it a second look.

I used a dremel tool with a very fine sanding wheel to remove some of the grip that was blocking the use of HKS. I can use .357s in the speedloaders now.

I have this carrier
    http://www.amazon.com/Desantis-Ambid...ilpage_o08_s00

It's pretty good quality

Interested to see comments about this.

I mostly pocket carry a J, no holster, in Carhartt right front pockets. A Safariland loader in the same pocket helps keep the gun from moving around. A speed strip in the watch pocket gives some extra loads. Have worked carpentry with this and had little trouble. Other than the front sight wearing a hole in the pocket. One or two repairs gets me through the life of the pants, though Ive heard they recently started using heavier material in the pockets. I was going to start getting the pockets remade with canvas, but that may not be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    I have been through the pocket carry method which is slow... sometimes 7-8 seconds to deploy depending upon how deep in the pocket they go, if you have anything else in the pocket with them and what direction they decide to turn.

For me I am running the LCR 357. So the 5 star and the SL variants are about it. The HKS are tight and require precise fit, and the safarilands just don't work. Obviously the 357 just dont work due to length and angle so 38 is what I run in the loaders

I have both 5 stars and sl variant loaders. I like the 5 stars best. If you call them they will make you loaders to deploy clockwise like the HKS instead of teh standard counter clockwise release.

I am currently using the Ted Blocker Clips for $10: http://www.tedblockerholsters.com/Sp...Clip_p_78.html

They even carry the big bore 44 special for the charter well:

Pros: Lightweight and very concealable. Perfect for the reasons I carry the revolver. I can set them up for forward or backward pull depending upon my preference. Allows for wearing it half inside belt, completely inside belt, or outside belt. So it is highly concealable. They are also comfortable.

Cons: will not fit on thick belts like the beltman. Require a little metal opening with some needlenose (slight bend) to fit on my wilderness 3/4" belts to clear the velcro. (I could go with a 1/2" belt or thinner belt but I would rather not). You have to pull back or forward instead of up.

I can run 4-5 second reloads from under concealment using one hand. I'm sure I will get better as my I train more and more. Light t-shirts and shorts are the dress of the day out here for almost 8 months.

I just saw the jox ones and was wondering what the experiences were on those? Concealement wise? Comfort wise?

Is there anything else I may have overlooked?

I have found that carrying appendix really limits where I can put them because I use the strong hand load method. So they go just over the front pocket right before the hip bone. I have debated going to the weak hand reload method and retraining but I would rather not. Was wondering if anyone carries the jox ones like this? they seem big. I was thinking of trying one, but if it provides no benefit over the clips, I will carry on.

Just wondering what you use and your experiences? There is a lot of snub folks here who have a lot more street time carrying these concealed than me.

Thank you
    Interesting;

My son actually showed me picture number 2 (he must have found it on another site) on Tuesday night asking if I knew about that kind of holder. I actually had one from back in the 80's when Massod Ayoob and Blocker where working together on the LFI rigs.

He just purchased one of the family’s company's old mdl 64's to be his NY rig under LEOSA. He was wondering about AIWB carry as well. Given that the gun is a 4 inch it may or may not work with his build. He took one of Blocker's old LFI IWB holsters that used Velcro with him to try as well.

I have used the following with success. Early belt mounted android cell phone case holding 2 speed strips, Safariland’s single speedloader case that splits the belt. Being old I tend to carry at the 3 to 4 o'clock position with the speedloader just forward my hip. The Safariland holder does the best job in my limited experience hiding the loader. Even if the case is exposed "most" people wouldn't recognize it as a speedloader.

I have not tried the 5 star loaders and was basically unimpressed with the SL variants when a buddy let my try them. Unless there's an adjustment I'm not aware of the SL variants held the rounds too loosely for me to get any really smooth speed out of them. My preference is Safariland Comp II's followed by HKS.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    Interesting;

My son actually showed me picture number 2 (he must have found it on another site) on Tuesday night asking if I knew about that kind of holder. I actually had one from back in the 80's when Massod Ayoob and Blocker where working together on the LFI rigs.

He just purchased one of the family’s company's old mdl 64's to be his NY rig under LEOSA. He was wondering about AIWB carry as well. Given that the gun is a 4 inch it may or may not work with his build. He took one of Blocker's old LFI IWB holsters that used Velcro with him to try as well.

I have used the following with success. Early belt mounted android cell phone case holding 2 speed strips, Safariland’s single speedloader case that splits the belt. Being old I tend to carry at the 3 to 4 o'clock position with the speedloader just forward my hip. The Safariland holder does the best job in my limited experience hiding the loader. Even if the case is exposed "most" people wouldn't recognize it as a speedloader.

I have not tried the 5 star loaders and was basically unimpressed with the SL variants when a buddy let my try them. Unless there's an adjustment I'm not aware of the SL variants held the rounds too loosely for me to get any really smooth speed out of them. My preference is Safariland Comp II's followed by HKS.
    I believe I have it up on my blog... the holster is now the in the service of Mr. Haggard as I replaced it with a more low profile one for more discrete carry which is in picture 1.

The variants are fully adjustable and mine hold tight. Maybe his had a problem.
    Last edited by eb07; 04-21-2016 at 02:35 PM.

Did I miss what holsters you are using with the LCR? I am in hot pursuit of an AIWB holster for my 642 and I like the look of that one.

That Blocker clip looks pretty neat. I have been dancing around getting speed strips or speed loaders for my 642 for when I start carrying it. Hiding a strip is much easier but slow as molasses but I think I might actually be able to conceal a speed loader with a rig like that. Thanks for posting.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Did I miss what holsters you are using with the LCR? I am in hot pursuit of an AIWB holster for my 642 and I like the look of that one.

That Blocker clip looks pretty neat. I have been dancing around getting speed strips or speed loaders for my 642 for when I start carrying it. Hiding a strip is much easier but slow as molasses but I think I might actually be able to conceal a speed loader with a rig like that. Thanks for posting.
    The Bladetech nano is the Kydex one I sold. It rode too high for me and I am not a fan of kydex AIWB after I was introduced to the Galco.

I currently use the Galco Stow and Go holster. Comfortable and low riding. Quick on and off. I use them for my Glock 26, my Charter Bulldog, my Beretta Nano, my Keltec P3AT, and my LCR..... it really is my favorite holster. I have mics for deeper concealement when necessary but the holster really allows for deep concealment and is comfortable. Was turned onto it by a detective who runs his 27 when he is doing drug busts and I bought one for my 26 and was sold.

Running speed strips from my back pocket I can get 4 in the gun and back shooting in 6-7 seconds depending upon fumbling. I run them like this:

Name:  IMG_1433.jpg
Views: 2414
Size:  68.8 KB

( the red means they are my training rounds with hot glue injected into the primer holes and no powder )

That way no mater what way the strip comes out it is ready to go. I dont carry the fifth not worth the time.
    Last edited by eb07; 04-22-2016 at 01:12 PM.

I have my 638 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster strong side. The trousers I wear most every day are the "Tru-Spec" 24/7 style. The cargo pockets have two smaller pockets sewn in that are perfect for magazines or speed loaders. Under my strong hand the cargo pocket has a HKS speed loader in each interior pocket. The weak hand cargo pocket has the 642 in it also in a Desantis Nemesis. Two "J"'s and ten extra rounds makes me happy for daily meandering as I learn this new curmudgeon lifestyle.

I'm thinking of trying one of these. My buddy has one and it seems to work well for him and it conceal very well also.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 23JAZ; 04-26-2016 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    I'm thinking of trying one of these. My buddy has one and it seems to work well for him and it conceal very well also.

Do you have a link to the manufacturer?

User Tag List