Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Series 70 Colts

Hmmm...I just sold a custom pocket knife for $1200.00 this evening and I haven't had a .45 since I had an issued Series 70 back in the late 80's, early 90's.

Maybe there's a reason I haven't told my wife what I want for xmas (yet).
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by wgalvinized View Post
    I recently purchased a Colt Mark IV Series 70. I simply wanted a full sized Colt 1911 .45 cal. A higher end gun shop that carries many 1911's recommended this. After I brought it home, I noticed discrepancies from a "typical" Series 70, which led me to finding this thread. I seem to have bought one of the guns that is mentioned. It is a Series 70 with a beaver tail grip, long trigger, Novak sights, skeleton hammer, NM barrel and flat mainspring as pictured in JSGlock34's post. At first I was pissed that it did not match up to a typical Series 70. But, after reading these posts and seeing the pics I am actually becoming pleased.

Can anyone explain what is a Level 1, 2 and 3 Series 70?

Any other info on these guns?

How / where can I get info from the aforementioned Brent of the Custom Shop?

Thanks for your help.
    Can you post a pic?

Brent posts on 1911forum.com in the Colt subforum.

From the description it sounds like you've got a nice pistol with many worthwhile upgrades from a "stock" Colt 1911...
    Last edited by TR675; 12-15-2016 at 11:08 PM.

Label on the box indicates Model 01970A1Z, also says Level 1, Model O

Name:  Colt 70a.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  97.3 KBName:  Colt70b.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  35.1 KBName:  Colt70c.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  37.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by wgalvinized View Post
    I recently purchased a Colt Mark IV Series 70. I simply wanted a full sized Colt 1911 .45 cal. A higher end gun shop that carries many 1911's recommended this. After I brought it home, I noticed discrepancies from a "typical" Series 70, which led me to finding this thread. I seem to have bought one of the guns that is mentioned. It is a Series 70 with a beaver tail grip, long trigger, Novak sights, skeleton hammer, NM barrel and flat mainspring as pictured in JSGlock34's post. At first I was pissed that it did not match up to a typical Series 70. But, after reading these posts and seeing the pics I am actually becoming pleased.

Can anyone explain what is a Level 1, 2 and 3 Series 70?

Any other info on these guns?

How / where can I get info from the aforementioned Brent of the Custom Shop?

Thanks for your help.
    Nice catch! My understanding is that these guns have been assembled by the Custom Shop. While not a 'full' custom shop build like the Special Combat Government, they have a nice assortment of upgrades over the stock Series 70. The higher the level, the more extensive the upgrades (and the price rises accordingly). The Level 3 guns look almost identical to the Special Combat Government.

Here's a 1911Forum thread on this model (New Series 70 Colts); there are probably others.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

That is helpful JSGLock34. I read that other thread from the 1911 forum. One poster indicated the box came with a 'custom shop' label. Now that I look at the box with this 1911, there is a second label and part of it says, "MFR: 1970A1CS" I presume this interprets into 1970A1 Manufactured by the Custom Shop(?).

As we always say when we buy a new toy....can't wait to take it to the range this weekend.

Thanks again.

The Level 1 and 2 guns are assembled in the custom shop with the features listed above except that he Level 2 has a magwell and night sights. I believe the Level 3 is actually a custom shop built gun and is priced accordingly.

i love the Level 2 I have, it's pretty much everything I want in a 1911 and I've had no issues with it in 1300 rounds plus 28 rounds of BB 255 grain 45 Supers I shot today.

User Tag List