Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Series 70 Colts

Site Supporter

New Series 70 Colts

For people wishing Colt offered more Series 70 guns, there is news. They are now offering two new models -- the S70 Level I and Level II. These look to be fairly straight-forward pistols with sights and safeties upgraded over the standard models. For non-tritium sights I still prefer the retro style, but the new models are equipped with Novaks with tritium on the Level II.

This makes four Series 70 models now offered by Colt:
    S70 Repro Model (I own one which is overall my favorite .45)
    S70 Gold Cup National Match (I own one)
    S70 Level I
    S70 Level II

Site Supporter
    Very interesting...

I've been looking at Colt, considering that owning 1911's without owning at least one that has a pony on the side is tantamount to heresy and Colt is putting out some nice guns in both S70 and S80 lately.

Those look very nice and the price is not ridiculous. Everything you need and nothing you don't 1911s.

Site Supporter
    I have a Wiley clapp lightweight commander. I want to get a WC government model too.

Site Supporter
    It turns out the new S70 Level 1 and Level 2 guns might be limited runs of 100 pistols each. Bummer. Still, if these sell quickly it could send a message to Colt that these are desirable.

Colt's marketing people never seem to get the message. The more I look at these level 1 and 2 S70s the more I want one. It's kinda silly that these arn't standard stock pistols. Springfield Armory has made a mint selling the loaded models which are just about identical to these.

I read that they even have NM barrels...neat.

Site Supporter
    Colt's now discontinued (other than the Combat Elite) XSE line was actually pretty comparable to the SA Loaded series but the XSE guns didn't sell. Recent offerings by Colt show they are listening, evidenced by the Colt Competition models. But I hope they get the message that people like the S70 guns -- and the new models without front serrations are well liked by Colt buyers. Time will tell.

Limited to a run of 100? Make something that customers obviously want and limit production? Yep, must be a Colt venture. It often seems as if Colt management is stranded at sea in a life boat, yet actively trying to beat holes in the hull with a hammer.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Limited to a run of 100? Make something that customers obviously want and limit production? Yep, must be a Colt venture. It often seems as if Colt management is stranded at sea in a life boat, yet actively trying to beat holes in the hull with a hammer.
    So what else is new........

I don't think Colt could plan a drunk in a distillery.

It looks like Colt is putting their toe in the water and incorporating into the production flow some of what was previously incorporated into their Model O packages (and some other options) from the Custom Shop. While they're late to the party, at least, however tentatively, they're joining in.

The Series 70 platform is a good one to perform these on. To me, they're a bit of a bridge between the basic Series 70 guns and the previous Colt Gunsite models (some of which I believe are still available at Gunsite).

There was also recently a limited edition/parts bin assembled 1911 from Colt offered at Buds, which seemed to be a Gold Cup frame with a vertically serrated frontstrap, a 80 Series 1991 slide and trigger, an arched/grooved mainspring housing, Gold Cup walnut checkered and emblemed grips, a long trigger, spur hammer, and a matte blue finish. The sights as I recall were standard 1991 3-dots. It came out as a nicely retro-appearing Series 80 1991. Internet rumor had it that Colt was flushing their system of some of the surplus older Gold Cup frames, but I never heard anything official. I have no idea how many were made up ultimately.

I applaud Colt for breaking out of their mold a bit, and seeing what resonates with the market. Previously they had a proliferation of SKUs with very low sales for many of them-now they're tuning their business and production more to the market.

The stainless steel 70 Series that my wife got me for our anniversary this year has been a superbly made, accurate and flawlessly operating 1911.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-21-2016 at 12:56 PM.

User Tag List