Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to the 1911.

Site Supporter
    Over the past several years I have experimented with other pistols, either by buying a sample or renting them, including Glocks, Sigs, the Beretta, etc... Each time I discovered advantages to the other designs and gained appreciation for them. I still carry a 1911 because as Nyeti said, "it just works" -- at least for me.

I enjoyed my foray into 1911s. There is something intangible there.

I culled everything that fed from the bottom and wouldn't eat 9mm, so bye-bye Baers.

I am often tempted to find a decent 1911 in 9mm, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Heh...thank god I actually own the next P-F flavor of the week this time around.

I really enjoyed building mine and I've honestly found that when a 1911 is properly setup it can run with any other platform. There are some idiosyncrasies, and getting one correctly set up is a fairly involved process but once it's there, it's not like it's some delicate snowflake. Sure, my gun might not work super well if you dump it in a bucket of mud and sprinkle sand into the chamber. There are other guns that won't run in similar circumstances but more than that....such a situation is not a concern for me in my day to day environment, so I doubt I'll be killed by ninjas. I also doubt I'll be killed by ninjas for carrying 9 rounds of .45

I just know for sure that with semi-regular cleaning and lubrication, my 1911 has run trouble free for well past 10,000 rounds of 45 and has not broken a single part and with it, I can hit an IDPA headbox on demand...it's probably better accuracy wise but that's about the limit of my skill.

Now, would it be better for me to shoot a Glock 19 MOS with a Trijicon RMR which would cost about the same, have cheaper magazines and shoot cheaper ammo?

Shush now, stop trying to convince me to carry a plastic people popper because it's logical.

Nothing wrong with a 1911 at all IMO. I carried one (of many owned) for a long time and I was confident in them.

If one is built correctly, it's not a picky machine, and requires no more maintenance than anything else. The main downside is that the mags are easier to damage, but they're not worse than g.i. AR mags....

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    There is just something about them that will never make sense...
    Ah, that would be the manual safety, for those of us raised on a steady diet of point'n'pull pistols (revolvers, TDA/hammer semis, and now striker-fire stuff).

I too have much affection for the 1911, have fired a bunch of rounds through various ones, and still own one (a Colt WW1 repro) because... 'Merica. But its probably the last of my meager collection of "fighting handguns" I would grab when the ice cream turns to shit.

Now, while the tar and feathers are no doubt being prepared, a question for Trooper224; you're still working the road, right? I assume this 1911 interest has strictly been off-duty carry/recreational shooting, but now you plan to get serious with it as a main "platform"? What is that going to do to your issue duty piece skills?

Of course, if "they" allow you to carry a 1911 on duty, then 10-22 that question.

Quote Originally Posted by BES View Post
    If you had to pick one 1911 to carry for the rest of your life, what would it be?
    Easy one for me, the only one I have, my Colt Government .38 Super.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Talking myself out of carrying a 1911 is generally a weekly event.
    If I still had my Wilsons and a good holster, this would be a daily event. As it is I'm constantly on the verge of ordering holsters and a new Colt or two. I would probably go for a 5" gun on a LW frame with a steel gun for training. The only thing I wouldn't consider is a 9mm 1911.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Ah, that would be the manual safety, for those of us raised on a steady diet of point'n'pull pistols (revolvers, TDA/hammer semis, and now striker-fire stuff).

I too have much affection for the 1911, have fired a bunch of rounds through various ones, and still own one (a Colt WW1 repro) because... 'Merica. But its probably the last of my meager collection of "fighting handguns" I would grab when the ice cream turns to shit.

Now, while the tar and feathers are no doubt being prepared, a question for Trooper224; you're still working the road, right? I assume this 1911 interest has strictly been off-duty carry/recreational shooting, but now you plan to get serious with it as a main "platform"? What is that going to do to your issue duty piece skills?

Of course, if "they" allow you to carry a 1911 on duty, then 10-22 that question.

Yes, I've had to carry the issue plastic on duty but agency policy has always allowed me latitude off duty. I'm not "getting" serious about the 1911 as I've been there for years. Personally, I've never found much of a conflict between using the two designs. The 1911's safety is about as ergonomic as one can be, which allows me to use the same grip for both pistols. When assuming a good master grip on the Glock there's simply no safety to disengage, but the hand movement remains the same. The other controls are laid out in pretty much the same location. For me at least, the required skill set is more easily transferable between the Glock and 1911 than other pistols. I haven't found anything that's counter-intuitive when comparing the two. Over the years I've used both off the square range under genuine stress, not just the pseudo stress of competition, if I'd found an issue I'd be carrying an Austrian squirt pistol off duty. During a recent night qualification we ran a drill in which the shooter was required to draw and engage a steel popper at fifty yards in the dark. The available light/sighting options were the Glock's WML and tritium sights. For a total of twenty five rounds fired my hit ratio was ninety eight percent, so I'm confident with my skill set concerning the issued plastic. My training regiment is probably 60/40 in favor of the 1911, so the Glock isn't just a qualification only shooter for me. Now we get to the next question that will undoubtedly be asked: why don't I just carry a Glock off duty? My admittedly less than logical answer? Because I don't have to.

Before anyone gets excited about me jumping around between platforms ask yourself this question: how many of you have used a J frame for off duty/back up/pocket carry yet used something entirely different as an on duty or primary weapon? Stones, glass houses and all that.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 04-21-2016 at 09:17 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If I still had my Wilsons and a good holster, this would be a daily event. As it is I'm constantly on the verge of ordering holsters and a new Colt or two. I would probably go for a 5" gun on a LW frame with a steel gun for training. The only thing I wouldn't consider is a 9mm 1911.
    I'm considering a 1911 in 9mm as a training weapon for economic reasons, but I'd never consider carrying one. I've seen some that can be tweaked to run reliably enough with round nose ammo, but I've yet to see one that would run with any sense of reliability with JHP's.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I'm considering a 1911 in 9mm as a training weapon for economic reasons, but I'd never consider carrying one. I've seen some that can be tweaked to run reliably enough with round nose ammo, but I've yet to see one that would run with any sense of reliability with JHP's.
    Todd G shot a custom springfield and it proved to be really reliable.

User Tag List