Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to the 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Glad to be the tip of the spear in something.

I didn't post to piss in your cheerios, just to ask a question and add a view point.

I have carried a 1911 all over, for many years.
    No pissing perceived, just some playful poking with a cyberstick on my part and I welcome your point of view.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 04-20-2016 at 09:15 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Talking myself out of carrying a 1911 is generally a weekly event. There is just something about them that will never make sense on paper, but just works.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    As everyone here will agree, the handgun is a compromise weapon. When I go to work I like to do so with a full tool box and I prefer that my primary tool do as many things as possible. Within my context I find the 1911 provides me with more flexibility than other handguns. Concerning multiple bottom feeders, I've always carried at least two spare magazines with that in mind and I still have the Pizza Blaster in the safe if I think more may be needed. Most here may disagree and I have no problem with that. I come here for interesting discussion not lip service.
    1990-2000 I carried a 1911 everyday as my required duty sidearm and it served me well as an LEO. When I decided to make a career change, it didn't involve carrying a handgun. A few years later, I decided to get back into shooting and personal safety I wandered into the school of the polymer pistol abandoning the 1911. I continued the pursuit of firearms perfection trying to make the Glocks, HKs, and a few other brands to be the pistol for me. I have spent (or wasted) so much money to find the right pistol. I found myself carrying a single stack 9mm more than any other gun I own. On a whim, I decided to purchase a Colt Competition 9mm. After taking it to the range, I realized that for me, I am more accurate with the 1911 than any other gun. With that being said, I too have decided to make the 1911 my primary every day carry if I am not traveling for work (if I am out traveling, I carry two S&W 340 M&P .357s). My rational is that with the 9mm 1911 I can carry 10 rounds of 9mm which is comparable to a P2000sk and more than the G43 as well as being able to conceal two backup magazines easily. I plan on running the 1911 hard this year and see what my results are. Does it require more training? Yes. Does it require more maintenance? Yes. I am willing to put in the time and effort to make it work for me.
    Last edited by Crusader8207; 04-20-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Site Supporter
    Well - me too. I went from 1911s in USPSA (with Colt Commander 38 Super for carry) to Glocks then M&Ps and most recently CZ P09/P07. I sought out and bought a clean Springfield Armory 1911 5inch 9mm Range Officer set up for IDPA ESP/UPSA Single Stack (minor) for general shooting. Same guy was selling a super clean STI Sentry 1911 in 45ACP so that came home too. Sold/traded the CZ P09/P07s and pushed the Glocks plus M&Ps way back in the safe except for the S&W M&P 9FS that I CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Glad to be the tip of the spear in something.

I didn't post to piss in your cheerios, just to ask a question and add a view point.

I have carried a 1911 all over, for many years.
    If you had to pick one 1911 to carry for the rest of your life, what would it be?
    " The true Soldier fights not because what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

There is not one thing wrong "with a good quality 1911". But, you have to a good one, run it wet, and practice mag changes.
    I carry a nighthawk often and run a MARS ARMAMENT in USPSA. With that everything is a tool, there is no one size fits all handgun.
    John Moses Browning was a genius, guns he designed a hundred years ago, are still being used in combat and around the world today.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BES View Post
    If you had to pick one 1911 to carry for the rest of your life, what would it be?
    Although I am not the individual to whom the question was addressed, I would suggest something with a 4" barrel and officer size grip frame. I believe Dan Wesson makes such a gun.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    John Moses Browning was a genius, guns he designed a hundred years ago, are still being used in combat and around the world today.
    I'm always surprised when someone reminds me that the M2 .50 machine gun is very nearly as old as the 1911. I guess if you invent a way to shoot a bunch of big bullets quickly and reliably, it never really goes out of style.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I carried a 1911 during a part of my narcotics and criminal intelligence unit days with LSP, until they were removed from the approved list. I have always shot them well and would never feel unarmed with one. Go for it.

The nice thing about being retired is being able to carry whatever I want. Who knows, maybe that will be a 1911 again one day.

No judging here!

There are so many arguments for and against the 1911 but the reality is that a properly built version will serve you well.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List