Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to the 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Well, I suppose it depends upon your definition of "function fine". I have seen several of these break during training/quals; including my own G19. The magazine did keep the slides from launching forward off of the pistols, but the slide/barrel assembly would no longer lock into battery.

If the slide lock spring breaks, the gun will continue to fire. The lock up is affected and accuracy is degraded, but at least the gun will continue to function. I didn't say glocks are never sidelined from a malfunction. I've seen plenty of that as well, the worst being barrel lugs sheering off on a G22. In my experience of overseeing hundreds of thousands of rounds through more than 30 semi custom 1911's that are regularly pm'd by an excellent gunsmith, the frequency of parts breakages and malfunctions that shut the gun down completely is much higher than our glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Try the WC 7 rounders.

I have well over 10,000 rds of Golden Sabre through my guns. It is more reliable than ball, ime.
    1. That just made my elbows hurt.

2. I'm working off poor memory and not enough coffee but wasn't GS designed to keep as close to ball dimensions for feeding as well as keep a high standard of QC? That was the test round for the Springer Pro as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Notso View Post
    1. That just made my elbows hurt.

2. I'm working off poor memory and not enough coffee but wasn't GS designed to keep as close to ball dimensions for feeding as well as keep a high standard of QC? That was the test round for the Springer Pro as I recall.
    I think you are correct. Talking about elbows hurting, I shot Single Stack Classic for 2 years using GS as my round... 205 power factor. Elbows didn't hurt, but it probably hurt my score a little:-)

Quote Originally Posted by givo08 View Post
    If the slide lock spring breaks, the gun will continue to fire.
    And you have "tested" this? We didn't; since it was all on the range, we simply replaced the springs and kept shooting AFTER that. Seems to me the gun would beat itself into total unserviceability rather soon after the lock-up went away.

All in all, it sounds like a perfect candidate for yet another You-Boob "torture test"; with a borrowed Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by givo08 View Post

In contrast, last week a coworker brought me his Glock and said he thought something was wrong with it. It had a missing frame rail, yet it had functioned flawlessly at a recent training day..
    If it was functioning flawlessly why did he think something was wrong with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Westminster View Post
    Here's what I wonder: has anyone else out there run dozens, nay, hundreds of magazines of hollow-point through their 5" 1911s (.45 ACP)? I have some guns from what I think are top-end smiths. The guns are a dream with FMJ, but I cannot get full reliability with the last round of JHP in a mag. When the guns malf, it seems to be due to inertia feed on the last round. I've ended up doing dozens and dozens of mags with only 1-2 JHP rounds loaded, tried CMC PowerMags (8 round), Wilson ETM, Wilson ETM+P, and CMC PowerMags with the Tripp spring and follower kit, all in combination with RA45T, Remington GS (230g), and some HST. I've yet to do any testing with Wilson standard 47 mags (7 round). In the end, I've settled on loading my carry mags with Rem GS with the last round being FMJ. I'm content to blame it on me, not the guns, since I don't find others with my problem. Just wondering if I am alone...
    I have 763 rounds of 230 grain HST running a 16lb Spring, the gun has functioned as designed every round that had been fired through it. Obviously a greater number of FMJ has been fired through it and some old Golden Sabers that I didn't count individually as I consider them left over practice rounds now. All practice rounds have also fired exactly as they are supposed to and the gun had responded accordingly. This is in a $1200 Springfield LB Operator with zero work done to it past when it was assembled at the factory. It's not hundreds of magazines but it's closing in on 100 magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    I have 763 rounds of 230 grain HST running a 16lb Spring, the gun has functioned as designed every round that had been fired through it. .... It's not hundreds of magazines but it's closing in on 100 magazines.
    What magazines did you use?

What magazines did you use?
    I use the two Mecgar 8 rounders that came with the gun and all my other magazines are 8 round Wilson ETM/HD mags. Going forward that is going to be my exclusive mag. When the Mecgars give me their first problem they'll be gone, but so far they've been 100%

Here's what I wonder: has anyone else out there run dozens, nay, hundreds of magazines of hollow-point through their 5" 1911s (.45 ACP)?
    I did when I was getting ammo from my agency for free. At the time I was using standard seven round GI type mags from Checkmate and Wilson 47D's. The ammo was 230 grain Golden Saber. I never had a problem with the Checkmate mags. The 47D's would choke as soon as the halfassed spring Wilson puts in those got a few months of use on it, but that's the mag not the gun. To be fair to Wilson, I've never had an issue with the seven round 47 or the ETM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

This thread is kind of funny. As I read through I start thinking of all the good of a 1911 and maybe getting some good leather to carry with and then I'll read the next post and be like Devil: "Oh yeah good point, I forgot about the spring changing". Angel: "But oh that trigger". Devil: "Until you trigger check someone's head into a canoe"...

It should be renamed to "The seduction of the 1911".

User Tag List