Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taser and mag placement

I too carry my reloads on my support side. They're oriented vertical, bullets out (Safariland 78), pushed against my belt buckle, almost centerline (about 11:59). I prefer this position because to me it "feels" quicker and is similar to how I carry mags plain clothes/off-duty. I think out of about 26 officers only 3 of us run vertical on support side, a few run strong side vertical, the majority use horizontal strong size, and a few wear them around 9 to 6 o'clock. I carry my Taser X2 at about 10:30-11:00, the bend of my belt and body makes a natural separation of the items but I use a belt keeper to prevent them contacting each other. The Taser is cross draw Serpa and causes some folks grief by taking up a lot of room. But those who wear their mag carrier on their hip or back just simply don't care. There's no policy on positioning belt items other than the Taser being opposite of the Glock so there's not much you can do about it.

The whole bullets forward/up issue is a pet peeve of mine. Some folks just can't wrap their head around it. I always point it out but it's always to the same people it seems.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    When in uniform, I carry horizontal. It's the first thing after the buckle. I can get to it with either hand and it's easier to retain them. During the Super Bowl when the crowds got densely packed and starting getting rowdy at a concert people were pulling things from officer's belts, including OC spray and spare magazines. I will not use open top mag pouches, as crowd control is one of the reasons I'm back in uniform. I'll take the retention vs whatever time I lose in reload speed. It's also easier to access when I have my plate carrier on. The biggest downside is it's a bitch to get to prone. A spare magazine in the cargo pocket is much easier to get to in that situation, though.

I carry my Taser for left hand draw. If I need something in a hurry, the Taser isn't what I'm going for. I will also never be the guy who pulls a gun thinking it's a taser. Lethal on the right side of my belt, less lethal on the left, including baton.

Picture:

Attachment 7374

I've had my duty rig set up like this before I went to the dick section. Been wearing it a couple days here recently getting ready to go back to patrol and don't see anything I need to change. When flat the taser looks like it might interfere with the second mag, but on my waist it doesn't interfere at all.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Lon's setup on the support side is the way I have my magazines and Taser setup. But I have the Safariland 3 mag pouch with the bullets facing away from me.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

We're mandated, by policy, to carry Tasers and to carry them for support hand access. Given the 9th Circuit rulings on taser use, it is not a tool I'm likely to need in a hurry. Soooo, on my support side from the buckle working around to the back - pistol magazines, flashlight, baton ring, radio pouch, and, finally, the taser.

Not sure why one would set up their gear the way the OP described.

Taser and mag placement

Per policy our ECD is to be carried on the off side only to be deployed with our strong hand via cross draw.

I also just moved my magazines from in front of my pistol (in an old UM slimline mag pouch that held the magazines vertical with bullets pointing away from my body) to behind my ECD on my weak side in front of my radio. I have a new safariland magazine pouch that holds two pistol mags and a rifle magazine.

JR1572
    Last edited by JR1572; 04-22-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Picture:

Attachment 7374

I've had my duty rig set up like this before I went to the dick section. Been wearing it a couple days here recently getting ready to go back to patrol and don't see anything I need to change. When flat the taser looks like it might interfere with the second mag, but on my waist it doesn't interfere at all.
    That's how my taser and mags are setup as well

User Tag List